1.    #1  
    I was getting pretty frustrated with the resets lately. One morning when I turned on the phone it began to reset repeatedly: the dreaded "Endless Reset Loop." A hard reset followed by a soft reset and I was back in business, no data lost, but it left a sour taste in my mouth for my Treo. I keep thinking a phone should be more dependable, not fail to function when you need it. I hadn't added any new programs for over a month so I was particularly dismayed that this should suddenly start to happen. Something got corrupted but I have no idea what. I deleted a few seldom or never used programs with Uninstall Manager, and I was back in business. I know there is a price to be paid for having a phone and PDA integrated and to have all the added functionallity of the Treo 650, but too many resets or freezed and I started to think the price was too high. My backup phone, a SonyEricsson V800, was looking better and better, even without the added cababilities of the Treo.

Fast forward to this morning. I'm headed into NYC from my house in suburbia, the wilds of northern New Jersey (Exit 43, before anyone makes that joke!). I'm taking an older Mac laptop in to TekServe to see if it can be fixed at anything resembling a reasonable price for a 7 year old machine. So there I am on W 27th Street right where TekServe should be, but it's not there. Damn. Now it becomes obvious even to me that I have no friggin' clue what I'm doing, just wandering around lower Manhatten like a lost tourist. Wonderful. Then inspiration strikes! I spy my Treo 650 in it's ProClip cradle just sitting there, fully charged of course, begging to rescue me. With the help of Directory Assistant I do a quick search and find TekServe is 4 blocks over on 23rd Street. I use the directions function of DA to get very very very explicit and exceedingly simple driving instructions from where I'm sitting on 27th over to TekServe and 3 minutes later I'm staring at a big black banner with a blue Apple logo. Boo-yah!

What a wonderful day it turned out to be. My beloved Pismo laptop was not suffering from motherboard or inverterboard damage as I had feared. It was the backup battery, a $27 part I was able to pop in myself (saving another $45 in labor costs, their minimum), and the PowerBook is back in action. I have a sentimental attachment to this computer, but a $300 repair bill on a machine with barely that in resale value kills that nostalgic feeling mighty fast.

All this good feeling I'm having is telling me to treat myself. Ito En, a Japanese tea shop, has a store somewhere here in Manhatten. I love thier green iced tea, but when I bought it online, the shipping for a case of tea was as much as the tea itself! It's good, but not that good. But as long as I'm already in town, why not pop in and pick up a case or two? DA to the rescue again! 10 minutes later I'm pulling up in front of the tea store, thanks to driving directions on my Treo. DA links to Blazer and MapQuest to get the directions in seconds. The love is back!! I feel like I should buy my Treo some jewelry or something.
    Last edited by rambo47; 08/27/2005 at 07:44 PM.
    your treo doesent want jewelry - it just wants you to listen and cuddle everyonce in a while...sheesh!
    Good story.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only having those same feelings. Of late my Treo650 was really putting me over the edge. I was getting resets left and right. It was truly testing my patience. My friend who has a Treo650, and seemingly no problems, kept saying why do you even try anymore.

I finally gave in, did a hard reset, wiped everything off. I loaded on just the very basic essentials. And only apps that didn't replace ones that currently existed as originals from Palm (i.e. third party email, browsers, launchers)

Since then it's run beautifully. I loaded on one app and it just started the resetting again. Needless to say, it went bye-bye.

Now that it's running smoothly it's proving again to be an indispensable tool.

So great to hear "in the field" stories of it really helping and using all the cool features.
    Cingular GSM Treo 650, Apple PowerBook G4, iQue 3600, iPod Photo 60GB
    PalmPilot > Palm Vx > Palm M505 > Garmin iQue 3600 > Treo 650

Seek first to understand, then to be Understood
    Seems like youre more in love with Directory Assistant than your 650
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  5.    #5  
    DA is one of my favorites, no doubt. I'm also lovin' Blazer, DateBk5, Messaging for texting, and Treo Alarm, mostly for weather forcasts. And I've always been a big fan of the Contacts function: simple and complete for my modest needs = easy to use.
    Rambo, are any of the programs you've mentioned the kind that tend to cause resets? I'm particularly interested in DA for myself, but I don't want to create problems I don't have now.
    Please get a room!
    Who am I, sir? A Utah man am I A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die!
    DA used to always give me resets, but it seems to be working now. Go figure. I'm still not breathing easy yet.