Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i have a cingular treo 650 and have been suffering under what appears to be a filthy hardware/software combination bug that is triggered by the semi-recent 1.15 software update. after many long hours on hold with customer service reps, i have finally been able to gain acknowledgment of this issue from both palm and cingular. this thread is for anyone affected by this problem to track the status of fixes and/or workarounds.

the issue is as follows: you make a phone call without a headset; within 0-3 minutes of the phone call, the microphone stops transmitting your voice. you can hear the person on the other end but they can't hear you. i have found that usually pressing the green phone button causes the microphone to start working again after a 2-4 second delay, but after another 0-3 minutes the symptoms will recur. this issue does NOT occur when using either a wired headset or bluetooth headset. others affected by this issue have discussed this in the following other threads:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=92283
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=92157

not knowing how to find someone who might know about something this specific, i bit the bullet and started with 611 (cingular general support). after some waiting and talking i was transferred to the cingular warranty department, whose direct number is 800-801-1101. after MORE waiting and holding, i was transferred to the "high-end device department", whose direct number is 480-754-8345. cingular users with problems, this is a good number to keep, because apparently these are the only people who work at cingular that might actually know about any 650-specific issues.

i described the issue to the rep on the high-end line. first she asked for the number on my SIM (my guess is to see if it was one of the bad "G" sims they originally distributed with cingular 650's; mine isn't). she then immediately navigated me straight to the phone info screen and asked for the software number. as soon as i told her it was 1.15, she confirmed that this issue only appeared after the software upgrade and told me that this is a known issue with the software upgrade and that cingular can not fix it. she said that palm knows about the issue and that they are working on a fix, but (as usual) there is no estimated date for when that fix might be available. she ALSO said that cingular is not aware of any correlation to the particular hardware revision with this problem -- she claimed that some people who bought the phone 6 months ago do NOT have this issue, and others who bought it 2 weeks ago DO. therefore she refused to replace my phone.

i then called palm technical support to see if they would own up to it, their direct number is 877-426-3777. after much discussion the palm rep finally also admitted that this exact and specific issue is known, and that there is no workaround because they cannot provide a firmware downgrade reverting the phone back to its original software. he warned that it "could be a long time" before palm releases a fix. he also advised that i do a hard-reset and test for the issue -- he claimed that if the issue persists, it is indeed a hardware issue, and that cingular should replace it. (i find this curious considering that he had already admitted this is caused by the software upgrade.) but he did give me a case number, and then said that if i confirm the issue persists after reset and want cingular to replace it, i should be able to call their warranty department (number above) and force a replacement by giving them this case number.

finally, he said he would provide this case number and information to palm R&D as additional input into the issue. i encourage anyone with this problem to call palm technical support and file a case number; more cases may increase the priority of fixing the issue and releasing a patch.

i will probably humor them and do the hard-reset test they asked for... i'll post an update here when i do.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Very informative, well researched and well written.
    Thanks...it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Exactly the reason I switched back to the ROW version. Too many problems with the cingular version.

Switch over, its a 2 step process to get there but I think you will be happier.

Do a search for the 1.23 ROW version and go from there.

good luck

rob
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    My plug-and-unawakening Treo or non-waking-Treo-under-some-random-circumstances, yes-tested-after-a-hard-reset issue's far worse.

Fourth Treo, anyone? I feel like I bought a Win Mobile product.
    I would try Volume Care to see if this solves the issue.

http://gotreosoftware.com/
  6.    #6  
    additional note: this may not necessarily be just a cingular issue, as a friend of mine with a palm-branded unlocked gsm 650 has experienced the same problem after upgrading to the official 1.13 software release...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    Exactly the reason I switched back to the ROW version. Too many problems with the cingular version.
    Switch over, its a 2 step process to get there but I think you will be happier.
    Do a search for the 1.23 ROW version and go from there.
    rob
    rob, are you saying that your cingular-branded 650 had this problem when updating to the cingular 1.15 firmware, and the problem went away after converting to the unbranded 1.13 firmware?

my only concern is that there's no way to go back to a cingular firmware after doing this, meaning i won't be able to use future upgrades or warranty-replace my 650...
    Hey folks,

I wanna know whether I should do the Treo 650 Cingular firmware upgrade. When everyone was awaiting the upgrade release, the discussion thread of complaining and speculating had dozens of posts. Now that the upgrade is out, this little thread about an error affecting the phone has but 6 contributors.

Does that mean that most folks have upgraded the Cingular FW with no problems? I don't want to spend hours doing the upgrade, working thru the glitches which are sure to occur, reloading and configuring the software which should transfer over intact but never does, if I'm just going to be stuck with a flawed FW and bug-ridden phone.

Do we need a poll to see how many really have had glitches vs. glitch-free Cingular FW upgrade?

-- Josh
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej
    Hey folks,

I wanna know whether I should do the Treo 650 Cingular firmware upgrade. When everyone was awaiting the upgrade release, the discussion thread of complaining and speculating had dozens of posts. Now that the upgrade is out, this little thread about an error affecting the phone has but 6 contributors.

Does that mean that most folks have upgraded the Cingular FW with no problems? I don't want to spend hours doing the upgrade, working thru the glitches which are sure to occur, reloading and configuring the software which should transfer over intact but never does, if I'm just going to be stuck with a flawed FW and bug-ridden phone.

Do we need a poll to see how many really have had glitches vs. glitch-free Cingular FW upgrade?

-- Josh
    i can only speak for my personal experience. for me, the upgrade resulted in four things vs my original (and old) cingular firmware:

1) more memory available
    2) the microphone problem described in this thread
    3) bluetooth DUN enabled, but completely unable to get it working despite plenty of research and trial/error
    4) fewer spontaneous resets/crashes

that's mostly good in my book. regardless, i just called cingular back, provided them the palm case number, and they are sending me a replacement with all charges paid. hopefully it will fix the issue.
    I'd upgrade to the latest unbranded ROW instead of the Cingular update. I'm getting sick and tired of the bug which shuts down my entire Treo until I soft reset. It sucks!
    Quote Originally Posted by nofoo
    i can only speak for my personal experience. for me, the upgrade resulted in four things vs my original (and old) cingular firmware:

1) more memory available
    2) the microphone problem described in this thread
    3) bluetooth DUN enabled, but completely unable to get it working despite plenty of research and trial/error
    4) fewer spontaneous resets/crashes

that's mostly good in my book. regardless, i just called cingular back, provided them the palm case number, and they are sending me a replacement with all charges paid. hopefully it will fix the issue.
    I have not had a problem with any of these issues after going from 1.23 to the Cingular update. I have not tried DUN as I use PDA net and my cable when connecting the laptop if high speed isn't available.
    Samsung SCH3500 - Sanyo 4900 - Samsung I500 - Treo 650, and loving it!!!
    re: Mic cutting out: I thought my Treo (bought in April) didn't have a Duplex Speakerphone. I noticed I couldn't interrupt anyone!!! Thought the TechRevengeG-ds were teaching me a lesson! So...I think it's a Hardware issue because I have it, am a Sprint customer and I haven't upgraded s'ware, so it must be H'ware. Thanx! Anybody else?
    I am lyrigal. ideagilbert@yahoo.com
    One thing I have noticed....if during a call you enounter a VERY loud noise (drop the phone, dog barking, loud vehicle outside your car window, etc) the mic seems to mute out leaving the person on the other end silent and you acting like the Verizon guy ("Can you hear me now?"). Could this be an automatic mic volume adjustment "feature" of the phone application? This could explain quite a few of the issues I've read above. Like I said, the only time I see this happen is directly after a very loud noise on my end that the mic could pick up. I guess this could take some additional testing. Any comments?
    I have a similar issue. I upgraded to 1.15 and had this same issue. I have spoken to Cingular and they are sending me a new treo 650 this week. Does anyone know if upgrading to 1.17 resolves the issue. I was looking at upgrading and thought that may help the issue. I assume it cant get much worse.

Lee
    Hi everybody,

Today I've just face the same problem...Tried to use speakerphone and the other party did not hear me at all. When I canceled speakerphone mode everything was OK. Till now Speakerphone worked like charm. I'm running unbranded unlocked GSM Treo with official 1.31 FW/1.13 ROW SW and HW ver.A. So I've tried it few times just to be sure that it's not by accident. Yes the "Duplex" problem appeared on my phone!!!!!!! Tried pressing keys, tapping muting icon... No success. So I decided to make a soft reset by "removing the battery" method. Turned the phone off and remove the battery. After turning phone back on the speakerphone mode starts working again and the other side can hear my voice. Again I tried it few times and it still working. Can anyone try to see if this will help?
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koleto
    Tried to use speakerphone and the other party did not hear me at all. When I canceled speakerphone mode everything was OK.
    I've been having the same problem recently and will try the battery removal to see what that does. It's very clear that the microphone is OK since it works fine when I switch away from speakerphone.

I'm using an unlocked Cingular 650 ver.A with official 1.51 FW/1.17.
    Thanks for posting...I thought I was the only one with this issue.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nofoo
    rob, are you saying that your cingular-branded 650 had this problem when updating to the cingular 1.15 firmware, and the problem went away after converting to the unbranded 1.13 firmware?

my only concern is that there's no way to go back to a cingular firmware after doing this, meaning i won't be able to use future upgrades or warranty-replace my 650...
    The answers are yes and yes. Yes it went away after I made the change, and yes you can go back and forth between Row and Cingular firmware, it just take a little extra effort to do so. I have already gone back and forth and now back again to the ROW. My wife has the same phone and is using the Cingular firmware, and I hear her *****en' about the phone all the time. Just waiting for the "Official" Row version to come out that was suppose to be out last month.

rob
    with this problem. I just purchased the Treo 650 from Cingular. I hear folks fine, but after a few seconds, they can't hear me.

I also have one with Verizon. I don't have this problem with that device. I was hoping to switch all of my phones and plans to Cingular. Looks like I will be sticking with the Verizon Treo.
    You should be able to exchange the Treo for a different one under warranty.

This problem is not there in every phone, obviously.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koleto
    Tried to use speakerphone and the other party did not hear me at all. When I canceled speakerphone mode everything was OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    You should be able to exchange the Treo for a different one under warranty.
    This problem is not there in every phone, obviously.
    I'm out of warranty so that is not possible for me...but...I think it's a software/firmware issue. I say that because the microphone works fine except when it's in speakerphone mode. Also, this problem started immediately after 1.17 was released.
    --Nelson
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast