1.    #1  
    Preamble:

I am planning a trip to Europe in early November and wanted a city guide for Budapest and Prague. I thought I had found one at WCities. I downloaded WCities-Install.OS5.PRC and Budapest.prc and transfered them to my SD Card. I ran them both and much to my surprise they installed multiple files in the main memory of my Treo 650. The program was really a come on for a much more expensive offering and ate up more than 6Mb of memory. How to get rid of them?

Mistake - Serious Mistake!

Since I had not backed up the Treo since I had installed the offending software and since there was no listing of the files that had been installed I reasoned that if I did a hard reset and then a restore I would be back were I was before the offending software had been installed. When I did this one of the restored programs (later identified as VolumeCare 4.09) required a soft reset. I did the soft reset and the Treo went into an endless loop of soft resets. I was not daunted by this since I still had all of my original install files. So....

I deleted my Backups file from my computer did another hard reset and a backup. I now had a stable Treo. I did a composite install of my software and low and behold same problem. Did another hard reset, deleted the Backups from computer and did a backup of the Treo. Again I had a stable unit so I installed my applications one at time and the unit was again stable until I installed VolumeCare 4.09. Now I am really puzzled. So...

Solution

I was convinced that the problem was with VolumeCare, perhaps a corrupted file. So I downloaded a fresh copy and went through the process of reloading the Treo one application at a time. (Since my computer arranges the apps in alphabetical order VolumeCare comes last - this is critical) Same problem. Now I am beginning to wonder if VolumeCare is defective. So I again do a hard reset, delete the Backups file, backup, and then install just VolumeCare. I now have a stable Treo. Encouraged by this I now install all of my other apps and the Treo is still stable.

Questions

Does this make any sense? Is the order of installation important? How can I restore my Treo to a former stable state without having to do a complete reintall of all my apps?

Configuration

Treo 650 Unlocked from Palm
    Firmware: 1.31
    Software : 1.13-ROW

Installed Apps - Main Memory (in addition to packaged apps)
    Bible Reader
    Documents
    eReader
    FileZ
    ProfileCare
    SC-HotKey
    VoiceDial
    VolumeCare

Installed Apps SD Card
    Books for eReader and BibleReader
    Moon Phase
    SignalMeter

Home computer is a Macintosh PowerBook G4 17" running OS X 10.2.8 and using the current version of MissingSync as the Sync Software.
    Did you talk with Jeff Gibson of Volume Care in the developer forum? He is very helpful and wants his product to work foe everyone. He may have some hints and would certainly want to know of the situation.

Cheers, Perry
    May I recommend Uninstall Manager. When every I have installed anything buggy it takes all traces of it out of the treo.
    Please let us know if this turned out to be a software issue, and whether you succeeded in debugging the problem.
  5.    #5  
    Follow up:

I thank the members who responded. I posted the same message in the developers forum. He has not replied, I know that Jeff is a busy dedicated man and will get to it when he can. I downloaded Uninstall and its companion program Cleanup. I am apalled by the amount of garbage left behind after a "Hard Reset". It will be days if not longer before I get it sorted out and and get rid of the extranious bits and pieces.

Increasingly it seens that programmers forget to remove their garbage when their programs are exited or deleted. This is probably one of the major causes of overall odd behavior of devices such as the Palms (all of them) which do not admit to a true power down restart (like your desk top or lap top). This strongly suggests that a regular soft reset of the Treo (daily?) would be a good idea. This atleast would force a garbage collection and the compacting of memory. I wonder if there are any utilities that would permit the observation of the degree of memory fragmentation in the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy-Dawg
    Follow up:

I thank the members who responded. I posted the same message in the developers forum. He has not replied, I know that Jeff is a busy dedicated man and will get to it when he can. I downloaded Uninstall and its companion program Cleanup. I am apalled by the amount of garbage left behind after a "Hard Reset". It will be days if not longer before I get it sorted out and and get rid of the extranious bits and pieces.

Increasingly it seens that programmers forget to remove their garbage when their programs are exited or deleted. This is probably one of the major causes of overall odd behavior of devices such as the Palms (all of them) which do not admit to a true power down restart (like your desk top or lap top). This strongly suggests that a regular soft reset of the Treo (daily?) would be a good idea. This atleast would force a garbage collection and the compacting of memory. I wonder if there are any utilities that would permit the observation of the degree of memory fragmentation in the Treo.
    Sorry about the delay. Just swamped these days.

The order of installation may be a factor here. VC does requre a Soft Reset after installation. The Treo is known to ahve HotSync issues. So it looks like you found a limitation of HotSync in that if you install multiple applications at the same time and one of them wants a reset, then the rest of the installation is stopped for the remaining files. So it sounds like VC needs to be installed by itself for a truely seamless installation. You can also bypass the HotSync process and use my OTA file installation proceedure for VolumeCare.

Plug this link into your Treo's browser:

http://GoTreoSoftware.com/downloads/OTA

Then just tap on the version of VolumeCare you want to install. It still will require a reset, but you will only be installing one file and thus will most likely stop the reset loop. But remember, reset loops are generally caused by applications responding the Operating System reset notification. If during this processing an application causes an error, a reset will be generated. The reset loop happens when this application reacts to this notification over and over.

Jeff
  7.    #7  
    Jeff,
    No need to apologize I fully underestand being swamped. I am almost 73 years old and really have not done any serious programming in about 10 years, but I not only programmed but managed a large engineering computer center for 15 years so I can say I have been there.

Couple of questions though. Did you note in my message that not only did VC require individual installation but also seemed to need to be the first application installed after the reset? Now I have not verified that must absolutely be first in as much as I did not do an exhaustive load on app and then VC to check for some sort of app to app conflict.

Second what happens if you have two apps that require a reset after an installatiion? Looks to me as if you programmers need to lean on Palm for a fix to HotSync.

I have been playing arround with Tealbackup backing up the Treo to a SD card. Then I do a hard reset and restore from the backup on the SD. The only problem I have encountered with this approach is that; 1 - Tealbackup does not restore VoiceDial (but then again neither does HotSync) I work arround this by putting a copy of the VoiceDialer installer on the SD and running it after I do the restore. Tealbackup does restore the VoiceDialer preferences and regisration data. 2 - I must do a manual soft reset (form VC) in order to get VC to work. For whatever reason VC does not request the reset when restored by Tealbackup.

I sort of got use to having my PDA backed up to a card using a Clie UX-60. Very useful in the field in the event of a crash.

All the best, and I for one, would not do without VC or PC. Thanks for two very useful programs.
    I've had problems trying to install multiple applications at once that required a reset. When I upgrade my Cingular to 1.31 it took me all morning to figure out the issue and then which apps needed the reset to install one at a time.

Second what happens if you have two apps that require a reset after an installatiion?
    For me at least it caused my Treo to continually reset.