1.    #1  
    I'm wondering if anyone uses the DUN instead of GPRS to access the web...not while using a laptop but simply on the Treo?

Is there much of a speed difference?

I'm on Cingular in Los Angeles and I notice no difference. Of course, the CSD is SUUUUUUUUUPER slow so there's really no point in using that.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    MVT, I occasionally used dun on my 650, when my usual gprs/edge enabled network was not working, or whenever on travel I could not find a gprs network (this happened in Russia recently, and my roaming bill was astonishingly huge...).

Speed is obviously by far lower, say between one fifth and one tenth than with gprs/edge, but it works to me.

Francesco
  3.    #3  
    So DUN uses minutes just like CSD?
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    It probably depends on your carrier and plan. T-Mobile bills it as regular minutes.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Hi all,

I'm from Trinidad and Tobago where I have an unlimited data plan. However, I regularly travel to the US where I use T-MoToGo and don't have a data plan. (Makes no sense for me to get a post-paid data plan when I'm not always in the US).

I like the idea of DUN for the treo (not laptop) as described by MVT.
    Can you please recommend a DUN provider that does not require a post-paid account? This is the solution I've been looking for!

Thanx
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gf3799
    MVT, I occasionally used dun on my 650, when my usual gprs/edge enabled network was not working, or whenever on travel I could not find a gprs network (this happened in Russia recently, and my roaming bill was astonishingly huge...).

Speed is obviously by far lower, say between one fifth and one tenth than with gprs/edge, but it works to me.

Francesco
    Can you please explain the setup?
    I tried to setup my landline dial-up account but could not get ot to work.

Thanx
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith
    Can you please explain the setup?
    I tried to setup my landline dial-up account but could not get ot to work.

Thanx
    On Cingular (I don't know about other carriers) you have to call customer service and ask them to add "CSD" or 'Wireless internet' to your account. They charge $4/month to add this. All it does is allow you to use CSD.
    You can then use the "Cingular CSD" setting to access the internet or add a new network profile with "wireless dialup" with the phone number, user name, and password of your ISP's dialup modems.
    This is done through an actual phone call, so it's using your voice minutes, not GPRS/EDGE data (in the case of a GSM carrier.)
    The connection speed is 9600kbps on Cingular. That's the limit.

My company will not create a VPN access setting that will work with Antha VPN for me (we have it for Cisco VPN on laptops but the settings aren't compatible) but we have modems.
    I use dial-up to dial in to the modems and log in that way, this gives me access to my company's network. It's rare that I need to do so since I use XPress Mail already for mail/calendar. But it's the backup plan to access internal web pages or my desktop PC to re-start XPress mail if it crashes (rare.)
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    On Cingular (I don't know about other carriers) you have to call customer service and ask them to add "CSD" or 'Wireless internet' to your account. They charge $4/month to add this. All it does is allow you to use CSD.
    You can then use the "Cingular CSD" setting to access the internet or add a new network profile with "wireless dialup" with the phone number, user name, and password of your ISP's dialup modems.
    This is done through an actual phone call, so it's using your voice minutes, not GPRS/EDGE data (in the case of a GSM carrier.)
    The connection speed is 9600kbps on Cingular. That's the limit.

My company will not create a VPN access setting that will work with Antha VPN for me (we have it for Cisco VPN on laptops but the settings aren't compatible) but we have modems.
    I use dial-up to dial in to the modems and log in that way, this gives me access to my company's network. It's rare that I need to do so since I use XPress Mail already for mail/calendar. But it's the backup plan to access internal web pages or my desktop PC to re-start XPress mail if it crashes (rare.)
    Taylor,

Thank you so much for the explanation. Now it starts to make sense to me.
    This facility would be great for me, if available on prepaid, when I'm in the US every other month. I use a T-MobileTo Go SIM while in the US.
    Do you know if this "CSD" facility is available from TMoToGo or Cingular prepaid? I will also search their websites and HowardForums...

Thanx
    I have no clue if T-Mobile even offers CSD, nevermind with a pre-paid. They refuse to offer any kind of GPRS services with the pre-paid unless it's a Sidekick (they offer $1 per day unlimited data on sidekicks) but I have no idea about CSD.
    I'd just save the time and call them and ask the pre-paid customer service reps. I'm sure they'll tell you pretty quickly.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    CSD is standard with any T-Mobile plan. I've been using my phone as a modem for Palms for about 4 years now, and still use DUN with my Treo 600 to access Earthlink.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I have no clue if T-Mobile even offers CSD, nevermind with a pre-paid. They refuse to offer any kind of GPRS services with the pre-paid unless it's a Sidekick (they offer $1 per day unlimited data on sidekicks) but I have no idea about CSD.
    I'd just save the time and call them and ask the pre-paid customer service reps. I'm sure they'll tell you pretty quickly.
    Thanks for the reply! I'm familiar with the GPRS limitations of T-Mo prepaid. Hence the reason why this CSD will be very useful for me. I read on HowardForums that someone suggested to purchase a Sidekick off ebay, or at least the IMEI number, and try to get the Sidekick plan. But even that plan would be too expensive as I'm usually in the US for about 2 weeks every other month. I'll probably be there by next Tuesday so I'll call T-Mo about CSD for prepaid.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom LaPrise
    CSD is standard with any T-Mobile plan. I've been using my phone as a modem for Palms for about 4 years now, and still use DUN with my Treo 600 to access Earthlink.
    Great. If I'm successful with getting CSD for prepaid, I would like to have some configuration info to test. Of course, getting a traditional dial-up account is my next research item but can you please list your Earthlink configuration (generic username of course)? Did you have to make a custom "connection" or did you use "Virtual modem"?

Thanks.
    I have confirmed that with a normal (post-paid) T-Mobile SIM dial-up works (as Tom has already said.)
    I have also confirmed that with a pre-paid T-Mobile SIM dial-up does NOT work.
    Perhaps it's something that pre-paid customer service can add. I don't know why they wouldn't want to as it just uses your minutes, but perhaps the system pre-paid uses won't allow it or something. It's worth a try though, but I did try a pre-paid and the same dial-up profile that works on my Cingular SIM and the T-Mobile SIM does not work with the T-Mobile pre-paid. I say connect and it just immediately quits as if I don't have CSD.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I have confirmed that with a normal (post-paid) T-Mobile SIM dial-up works (as Tom has already said.)
    I have also confirmed that with a pre-paid T-Mobile SIM dial-up does NOT work.
    Perhaps it's something that pre-paid customer service can add. I don't know why they wouldn't want to as it just uses your minutes, but perhaps the system pre-paid uses won't allow it or something. It's worth a try though, but I did try a pre-paid and the same dial-up profile that works on my Cingular SIM and the T-Mobile SIM does not work with the T-Mobile pre-paid. I say connect and it just immediately quits as if I don't have CSD.
    Thanks Taylor!!!
    I really appreciate you testing and reporting.
    When I'm in Miami/NYC/LA next week I will check out a T-Mo store and investigate if CSD can be added for pre-paid. I guess I'll have to continue lugging around my T3 w/WiFi card and Power-To-Go and sniff-out some hotspots...