1.    #1  
    I've used my Visor for about 9 months now and I'm beginning to see where I need better software to make myself more efficient in some areas.

I like datebook, but i don't find the To-Do list to be very useful. I'd like to upgrade to a better calendar/to-do combination. Whether that is a whole new suite of apps or just a new To-Do app that integrates with the calendar well, I don't know.

So, any recommendations with pros/cons? Datebook 4? Action names?

We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    I really like ActionNames.
    I have looked at Action Names, Actioneer, and Datebook4.
    Of all of these Action Names is the best, I think.
    And for a PIM which can store more than 32K, take a look at InfoSelect at http://www.miclog.com
    I've been using DateBk4 for a few weeks, and quite like it. I've not tried Action Names, but have read other raves about it in previous threads.
    I guess a good part of the appeal for me is DateBk4's ability to split the screen between the calendar and other apps (To Do, Memo Pad, Address). It also allows you to create your own custom views. The manual is very comprehensive.
    My .02
  5.    #5  
    I really like ActionNames.
    Why? (In what ways is it better than Datebook?)

-David Byrne
    There is a head to head review of Datebk4 vs ActionNames here: http://www.jeffkirvin.com/writingony...lumn000619.htm

But I should mention that in opposition to the review, I personally like Datebk4
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for all of the replies so far...especially for the review link. However, I was hoping for some more specific comments. It sounds like everyone has their favorite PIM, but I was wondering why you each picked the program you did.

-David Byrne
  8.    #8  
    ...which, BTW, is why this site needs a good software section (hint, hint...)

-David Byrne
    Homer,

in my opinion action names is just a more intuitive piece of software. for the most part, it or datebk4 will do most of the things you want them to do. the difference between them is how they do those things.

datebk4, to me, is NOT intuitive in the slightest. meaning it doesn't think the same way i do. (or, more correctly, it's programmer doesn't think the same way i do.) i had it for a few weeks and though i prefered it to datbk+, i was constantly having to refer to the manual for more advanced features. (and, btw, i think the manual is poo.)

action names i pretty much read the manual once all the way thru, following along with the examples. since then, when i want to do something that i cannot recall how to do, i guess, and the way AN is layed out, i can always figure it out. it is a *very* well thought out piece of software and half the size of db4.

however, everyone's brain is different. both of these pieces of software have trial version. try them for yourself and see which one best jives with you.

mc.
    Homer:
    I like Action Names Datebook for the following reasons:
    1. Size - it's smaller than Datebook4
    2. Icon's that I can create or edit and now in color thanks to the Prism.
    3. Contact List View - this enables the reassignment of the address book button to another program.
    4. I had both Datebook4 and Action Names Datebook installed for the typcial 30 day trial period and I found the "entry" features of Action Names to be more intuitive then datebook.
    5. Log entry - when synching with Outlook you can log an entry on the Prism and it's then dated and recorded in the address note field for the specific contact in Outlook and the notes field on the handheld thus it acts like a "contact manager".
    6. Repeat, Redo or reschedule options are very intuitive to handle and sync up better to Outlook.
    7. Quarter view shows 3 months in 3 quadrants on the screen with the 4th quadrant showing the appointments for the date selected. Albeit, these are barely visible but at least they are informational.
    8. Journal Entry - both Datebook and Action Names Datebook have journaling capabilities which are comparable.

Support - Iambic has always responded to my inquires and suggestions for improvement of the product or issues very quickly. Can't say that Datebook doesn't but.....
    Also, I have made a suggestion to Iambic that in the next major release that they have a two-month view with a split agenda on the bottom that shows the schedule for the day selected on the bottom. We will see if they incorporate.

Here is another link to a very good comparison on PIM's.

http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/palmos-...ks-review.html

It's a little dated but it does cover most of the more popular PIM replacements.

I'll say this much - I prefer to enter items into Action Names Datebook rather than Outlook because of the entry method. I can schedule an appointment, phone call or a todo with any contact listed in my address book with just a few taps instead of a few keystrokes on the keyboard. And after the entry, I end on the screen that I started on rather than being forced to the entry screen or the day view.

These are my humble opinions - yours might vary depending upon your use of either program. Both are good - heck if OS 3.5 had originally come out with the split agenda view on the standard Palm datebook - I might never have purchased Action Names but now I can't function without it.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for the additional comments...I appreciate them.

Do either Actionnames or Datebook 4 handle To-Do's differently/better?

-David Byrne
    I decided to do a trial of Action Names after reading a few of the comments in this thread.
    It seems that one has to uninstall any 3rd party apps or hacks that (in Iambic Support's words) "intercept system events". In my case this means To Do Plus, Phone Log, Big Clock and probably a few others. Still waiting for word from Iambic as to whether I can re-install them once I get ActNames running. If no, that would be a bit of a drag.
  13.    #13  
    Jazzlover:

What does To-Do Plus do? That may be what I am looking for. I use (or rather, would like to use) my To-Do list more effectively. I do not have such a full schedule where I need more out of the calendar...I just want a more robust to-do list.
    -David Byrne
    Jazz,

I have both ToDoplus and phone log on my Prism and no effect that I'm aware of regarding any conflicts. Lock and load and then sit back and listen to some Al Dimeola while your checking out the program and you should be in pretty good shape. I think that Iambic is referring to Actioneer rather than Big Clock, ToDoplus or any other software.

Homer - ToDo plus is an enhanced program that allows more functions such as priorities differences, attaching notes and other alarm functions. If you have a lot of todo's then it's worth a look. The program is by HandsHigh Software and is available at PalmGear or here is a link to HandsHigh home page:

http://www.handshigh.com

They also produce the Phone Log software that Jazzlover referenced.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    The only feature in To Do Plus that RSGMOOSE didn't mention was the fact that one can also create (simple) drawings and attach them to your tasks, eg. a quickie map.
    They offer it for trial at Hands High, BTW.
    Thanks for the Dimeola suggestion, Moose, I'll have to check it out. Got a specific disk to recommend?
    The comments I made about conflicts with A/N came out of my inability to run it and install it. When I asked for help at Iambic Support, they instructed me to disable apps like To Do Plus and Big Clock because they were causing the problem.
    After reviewing the manual for A/N, I don't see a drawing capability, so I don't particularly want to delete To Do Plus unless I can reload it after A/N's running.
    Oh, the other differences I noticed between DateBk4 and Action Names: 1) the former allows appointments that span midnight while I don't think the latter does, and 2) Datebk allows more complex repeating appointments, eg. the 3rd Tues. of each month; I don't see this capability in the A/N manual.