Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I need a new Treo.. the trusty 600 is unable to make outgoing calls anymore (the dreaded speaker disease) and I need to satisfy my techno-jones.

So, I have a question... but first a bit of background. I have an ATT sim and am on an ATT plan ever since the company went thru the merger. This means I'm paying $12.00 for the 4mb data plan on my Treo. If I were to switch to a 'Cingular plan', my data plan jumps to $24.99 for the same amount of data. Because the Treo is a "Blackberry" device, therefore, that's code for 'charge you up the a$$'.

Not bloody likely! So, I need an unlocked Treo. And my choices are this:

1. Go to Cingular store and buy an unlocked Treo 650, and then unlock it to work with my AT&T sim card . Cost:: $549 plus unlocking and tax.

2. Buy an unbranded unlocked Treo 650 from Amazon, pop in my AT&T SIM card and away I go. Cost:: $599 plus shipping.

3. Buy unlocked Cingular branded Treo 650 from eBay, pop in my AT&T SIM and away I go. Cost:: $500 with shipping included.

I'm leaning toward #3. However, is there any difference between the unlocked Cingular and the unbranded PalmOne version, aside from the ROM software??
    -Craig J.

Visor Platinum -= Clie T615CS -= treo 600 -=treo 650 -= Tilt
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. "
    -Douglas Adams
    I bought a Cingular branded phone on eBay and paid to have it unlocked. Aside from the rom (and the different issues with them) and the logo I doubt there is much of a difference. I am considering one of the custom rom updates you can find on the forums here. I should have started with them because i really don't want some of the garbage floating around in the memory now.
    Visor Deluxe (green) > Visor Prism > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro
    My personal website is Ryan McFarland
    CPHIL, I'm not sure I understand how getting an unlocked 650 will impact your data plan, but that doesn't really matter, does it?!

I bought a Cingular-branded 650 here on Treocentral that was unlocked before I bought it (paid $500 including accessories). Then I upgraded the firmware with Palm's "unbranded GSM" FW update and as far as I can tell, it operates exactly like any 650 that was originally unbranded. (OK, "unbranded" may not be the right word because it is Palm branded aftr all, right?).

Anyway, I've used several SIMs from different countries (including T-Mo in USA), and all work fine.

So... my suggestion is to look here or on eBay for a used unlocked GSM phone, no matter if it is "branded" or not.

Good luck,
    -mbd26
    BTW, you can get unlimited data from Cingular for $20/month, or you could a couple months ago anyway. I dont think its something they have on the website, but if you call them and say you just want unlimited data and not a bunch of other crap bundled with it they should give you the same deal i got.
    cphil,

Did you get your Treo600 through AT&T directly or because of a corporate account with your company? If your company still has an account with AT&T (Cingular Blue), you could get the lock Cingular Blue version with a new contract in the $300 range.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I got the 650 form a cingular store for 549. Wanted the 30 day return policy and already had to exchange it once for the P key issue. Got it unlocked for $30. Put the unbranded rom and then added the 7 files from the Cingular 1.31 so now I have 1.13-ROW and 1.31 firmware. This seems to be the most stable combination avalable for the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by richard371
    I got the 650 form a cingular store for 549. Wanted the 30 day return policy and already had to exchange it once for the P key issue. Got it unlocked for $30. Put the unbranded rom and then added the 7 files from the Cingular 1.31 so now I have 1.13-ROW and 1.31 firmware. This seems to be the most stable combination avalable for the 650.
    Was there any problem loading the unbranded ROM on the cingular phone? What are the files from the Cingular 1.31 ROM that you added?
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    the reason I need an unlocked one is because I have an ATT SIM which means a locked Cingular phone won't work with it.

Also, I really don't want to go without my data plan.
    -Craig J.

Visor Platinum -= Clie T615CS -= treo 600 -=treo 650 -= Tilt
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. "
    -Douglas Adams