Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if one is coming out? There are a lot of places I go where I CANNOT take a camera phone, and so I am already stuck leaving my T600 in the car. I want to go up to the 650, but not if I have to continue to leave it in the car.
    another member posted instructions on removing the camera from the 650. It looked like it wouldnt be that tough.
    I have a friend that works @ Chrysler and he purchased a cameraless 650 a few months ago. I worked with a Sprint store in Detroit area (Baldwin Rd & I-75) to stock this version because of all the auto companies.
    FastFrank
    The company I work for has specific policy against cameras in phones even if they are disabled, so removing the camera from the 650 is not acceptable. I checked several times with different HR reps, and argued profusely each time. Bottom line, if I'm caught with a 650 I'm fired.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a GSM solution for us or even one in the works, since PalmOne has never made Treo 600s or 650s without cameras - it has always been the carrier that did so.
    Cingular NBO has the Tre0 650NC for $449.99. This is the no camera version. I'm not sure if this is available to any one that does work for a company with a Cingular business account though. I guess my point is that there is a GSM version with no camera.
    Interesting. Thanks vleeco.
    the sprint camera-less units are always available through tele-sales, which is sprints phone order department. That's how I got mine earlier this year.
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    yes most of the stores will carry a few of them. but like in my store they are limited to buisness sales. contact your buisness sprint rep and they should be able to order one through BOF for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdiaz
    The company I work for has specific policy against cameras in phones even if they are disabled, so removing the camera from the 650 is not acceptable. I checked several times with different HR reps, and argued profusely each time. Bottom line, if I'm caught with a 650 I'm fired.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a GSM solution for us or even one in the works, since PalmOne has never made Treo 600s or 650s without cameras - it has always been the carrier that did so.
    If you remove the camera it is a bit more than "disabled." It does not have a camera. Someone, with only a little more effort, could buy a cameraless 650 and install the camera into the ready plug on the motherboard, then install the software.

However, if you can get a phone without the camera it certainly reduces your workload and avoids the whole warranty issue.

Personally, I find cameras in phones annoying. They aren't worth cr_p and they just cause problems in many places that don't allow cameras, such as courtrooms, museums, broadway shows, businesses...etc.
  10.    #10  
    I've T-Mobile now, and we don't have any business account that can get me a camera-less 650. I guess I am SOL for now....
    I went through this whole problem. I'm a lawyer and cannot bring a camera into the courthouse, so it was an issue for me. As a result, I spoke with a number of people at PalmOne, Verizon and Cingular.

I'm pretty sure that you can order a Treo 650 without the camera at a Sprint store or a Cingular store. Right now, Verizon is not yet offering the Treo 650 without the camera. I even walked into a local Cingular store at one point and they would have been able to have a 'no camera' Treo 650 in my hands within 3 days. I wanted to go with Verizon, though, because my experience had been that the best cell phone coverage in Connecticut was with Verizon.

Fortunately for me, in Connecticut, there is a new rule change effective October 1st which will permit lawyers to bring phones/pda's into court even if they have cameras, so my issue took care of itself.

Good luck.

Michael
    When I ordered my Treo 650 from a Sprint store in NYC the sales rep' mentioned they can get me a Treo 650 without the camera only it will take a couple of days (compared to the one with the camera which they have in-store).
    So I assume you should be able to order one in any Sprint store.
    If you remove the camera it is a bit more than "disabled." It does not have a camera. Someone, with only a little more effort, could buy a cameraless 650 and install the camera into the ready plug on the motherboard, then install the software.

That is NOT true at all. You are assuming (you know what they say about assumptions) that there is a camera hole in the housing. The cameraless version of the 650 (sprint for sure) doesnt have a camera hole in the case in the first place. That means that they will pass ALL camera inspections in a high security enviroment, where as a phone that has a removed camera will almost always fail those inspections.
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    Can you swap (or purchase) the rear panel of a camera-less Treo and put it on a camera'ed Treo, thus hiding the camera? It may be a tight fit, but would it work? Perhaps one would need to modify/remove the camera?
    Verizon Wireless lists Treo 650 with and without camera on their website. Sprint does too if you follow their business link. Could not find non-camera version on Cingular's.
    Why would you have to change the rear panel? Go to a hobby shop and buy a thin piece of styrene plastic and some bottled paint (metallic hobby paint is available for things like aircraft skins; I've used it before for some models and it works very well). Cut the plastic in a square of a size that will cover the camera hole and run a SMALL amount of super glue (cyanoacrylate adhesive) around the edge of the square. Gently press it onto the back of the case and hold it down until the glue sets (5 minutes or so). Run a little extra glue around the edge of the square to bond the edges down. After that sets, use a bit of masking tape to mask the edge of the case and use a brush to paint the plastic. Let dry for a few hours, preferably overnight. Paint over with clear coat if desired.

That will make it obvious that the camera is not there. If you can find a good matching paint color, it may even look like a factory alteration to those who don't know what the camera-less version looks like.

Of course, testing the glue on a non-visible area of the casing before proceeding is a good idea; I haven't actually done this (don't need to) so I don't know if it actually would work.
    That sounds like an interesting idea, but wouldn't just buying an extra rear panel be easier? (assuming its not too expensive).
    its so funny that companies focus so much energy on keeping camera phones out of secure environments - when the *real* spy cameras that they need to worry about are probably so much more ... subtle...
  19.    #19  
    So, can anyone tell me if there is a camera-less GSM Treo 650? I know Verizon has one, but that's a CDMA phone and I'm on T-Mo.
    Quote Originally Posted by awinsberg
    I've T-Mobile now, and we don't have any business account that can get me a camera-less 650. I guess I am SOL for now....
    you ARE SOL, but youve been that way ever since you signed with T-Mobile. They are
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast