1.    #1  
    My 650 seems to be starting to have a problem where the keyboard doesn't work properly. Some keys stick, some keys don't work (e.g., the rocker won't always dispable the phone lock on startup). More often than not, the ALT key is starting to put special characters into my text, and it's not because I am "fat fingering" the keyboard.

Is there a utility that anybody knows about that can disable a particular key, say the ALT key? Thanks in advance.
    I am having problems with the ALT key as well. The case I have my Treo 650 inside presses the ALT key when it is closed. This interrupts the GPS logging programs that I have tried such as Cetus and cotoGPS. Does anyone know of a utility which disables the ALT key?
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I smell fresh replacements :sniffs: Is that the smell of unbroken-in(sp?) electronic circuits?
    I have found, finally :-), a solution to my problem. I use SharkBtn (a free app thanks to LudusTech.com) to do an empty macro for all the keys which cause a problem.
    Could someone please post the sharkbtn.prc file here. I cannot access the ludustech web site. I am in China and now and then web sites are blocked, likely because something on the same server is offensive to the Chinese government and they have blocked the entire server.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    Could someone please post the sharkbtn.prc file here. I cannot access the ludustech web site. I am in China and now and then web sites are blocked, likely because something on the same server is offensive to the Chinese government and they have blocked the entire server.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
    Here you are. Hope they (Chinese Gov.) don't list this website/server in their black list as well
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by treoluv
    Here you are. Hope they (Chinese Gov.) don't list this website/server in their black list as well
    Don't worry, whatever the problem is I doubt that it is Sharkbtn pushing thier buttons.

Thanks a bunch.
    Installed Sharkbtn and it is great but it causes up an down on the 5 way to act like they are pressed twice, left and right are ok. Did you find this on yours also treoluv or is it conflicting with something else I have running?
    hello! i am quite sorry about this bug. i know about it and it's fixed in the total rewrite of SharkBtn i'm working on that will support a LOT of new features and will make it the total button util for your Treo! (don't worry, there will be a free version and a Pro ($10) version that will have macro support and other fun stuff).

alas, first i must get out SharkMsg v1.41

cheers, tyler
    Here's hoping the new SharkBtn recognizes all of the regular keys on the Treo keyboard.

Seems there's an awful lot of wasted potential there with existing utilities. I think Butler is the only program that uses, for example, press-and-hold of the letter keys to do something useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by LudusAdmin View Post
    ... total rewrite of SharkBtn i'm working on that will support a LOT of new features and will make it the total button util for your Treo! (don't worry, there will be a free version and a Pro ($10) version that will have macro support and other fun stuff).

alas, first i must get out SharkMsg v1.41

cheers, tyler
    Any progress on SharkBtn Pro? A feature set description, perhaps? I'm looking for a replacement for QLaunch.

I recognize that SharkBtn (even the free version) has many features that QLaunch never had, but they aren't nearly as useful to me as the following feature, and it doesn't sound like SharkBtn has it:

QLaunch lets you assign 4 different apps to each of the 4 app buttons, depending on how long you hold the button down (screen flashes or sounds make it easy to gauge when to release the button). What that gives you is the ability to launch 16 different applications without even looking directly at the PDA. In short order, launching those applications becomes so attention-free and automatic, that one becomes accustomed to being able to -- in one motion with a single hand -- pull the PDA out of one's pocket and be looking at the desired application by the time the PDA is in front of one's face, without ever consciously thinking about what one's fingers are doing. That's brilliant design.

Reprogramming alphanum keys doesn't provide that ability. Pressing those keys requires focused attention and fine motor precision, because they are small and closely clustered with many other identical-feeling keys.