Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Our Church staff all have Blackberrys, I have the 650. Their mail is pushed, mine isn't. Out IT guys says a server plug-in would be needed for the new windows mobile and that it's not worth it for 1 guy on a Treo.

He's a bright guy & I know nothing about servers, pushing, etc... I have to believe he's correct. Is there a chance he isn't? Before I have him spend time looking at Chatter, maybe someone here (without knowing how their servers are set up) could tell me if it's worth pursuing?

Thanks,

David...
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ
    ... needed for the new windows mobile ...
    David...
    What do you mean Windows mobile? Isn't your Treo running Palm OS? Please clarify why this is important?

Can you have your IT guy forward your emails automatically to a new IMAP account (at which the server supports the IDLE command) such as Fastmail.fm? If so, then you can setup your Treo with Chatter to get your emails with "simulated PUSH".
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    I suspect it's (Windows Mobile) got something to do with whatever is needed for their Blackberry's ?? Yes, My Palm is running Palm OS

What's simulated push?

Thanks,
    no... no... no...

1) do you have an email that's related to the church that you wish to have pushed to your treo?

(if 1=yes then goto 2)

2)is this an email that you usually check with outlook (outlook express) from a desktop?

(if 2=yes then goto 3)

3)checkout fastmail.com, fusemail, the new '@chatteremail' product at www.chatteremail.com...see which one you like and which options you want...(these are all imap services some free with limitations, some at a fee with various options)...SET UP THE ONE YOU LIKE...THEN...

4)go to the i.t. guy...mention nothing, absolutely nothing about your treo, bring him some taco bell or starbucks or something to distract him and casually say, "hey can you have my xxxxx@yourchurch.com address forwarded to this new address i've got?"...deny any and all aspersions he may cast upon you regarding this having something to do with the treo you just asked him about last week...hand him another chicken soft taco...and say, "naw, just using this new email address to consolidate a bunch of different accounts"...

5)this may take several taco bell, starbucks doses...stay with it...

6)buy your chatter license...set up your mailbox for the service you decided on...welcome...

detroitkruk
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Check out my thread which explains the setup using a Gmail account. Similarly, you can forward any of your other email accounts to a Fastmail (or other similar IMAP service) and achieve the same.

Enjoy,
    Keith
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitkruk
    ...this may take several taco bell, starbucks doses...stay with it...
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...es/biggrin.gif