1.    #1  
    I just got my 650 unlocked by Cingular. As I understand it I can now use firmware updates from Palm or Cingular as I see fit. Is this correct? Obviously if I use a Palm firmware I will lose any customization provided by Cingular, but what kid of customization do they really do other than branding the splash screens? Also, has anyone come up with an updated Cingular base ROM that can be used for editing?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    No, it is not correct. In fact, lock status itself has no effect on the firmware versions. What you have to get past is the check in the firmware installer that looks at which version you currently have installed.

As for ROM editing, why not use the tool provided by Shadowmite that allows you to extract the ROM from an official update?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4
    No, it is not correct. In fact, lock status itself has no effect on the firmware versions. What you have to get past is the check in the firmware installer that looks at which version you currently have installed.
    Ok, thanks for the clarification

As for ROM editing, why not use the tool provided by Shadowmite that allows you to extract the ROM from an official update?
    Yes, i guess I will have to do that. I was just hoping I could cut that corner if someone had already done it.

Thanks again.