1.    #1  
    I have been a fan of xiino since my 300 days. But it seems that the 650 left the program behind when it crossed the hi res treshold. Xiino renders pages wonderfully fast and is very stable but the GUI leaves much to be desired

I found out that setting smaller fonts dramitically improves the presentation of the browser and makes browsing closer (not quite on par yet) to blazer

To enable small(er) fonts on xiino
    1) get fonts4OS5 ($13 shareware - 14 day trial)
    2) Download and install the fonts4os5.prc and the .prcs for the fonts you want. (you can install em all to test and move the unused fonts to the sd card from within fontos5)
    3)You can slecect any font you want for pretty much any program. For me i used 'sans serif 20' for xiino

I am amazed at how much the usability of xiino has changed since i switched fonts. I often have to do a double take to make sure i'm not using blazer. Its a nice fix till the devs of xiino give us some real updates.

sorry if similar information has been posted before, i figure this should be useful to someone.
    Last edited by makrotonik; 08/23/2005 at 10:30 PM.
    great post.. will be trying now.. thx..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Yeah, that's the first thing I did when I installed Xiino. The stock fonts are unusable. I use the NimbusSans 14 aa ker font with all applications that need a small font. It's very nice.
    Here's a thread with some screenshots:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=font
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    that's a hack that uses hehe so it will slow down your treo..ah the tradeoffs
    Sprint 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL
    i have Fonts4OS5 and Fontsmoother....no diffference in speed
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL
    In Fonts4OS5, turn off 'Table.c' bugs correction and White spaces menu correction under options. It uses hede otherwise. BIG performance hit.
    Thanks. I'll try this out...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Thanks Makrotonik Works great, using on other applications also
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon
    In Fonts4OS5, turn off 'Table.c' bugs correction and White spaces menu correction under options. It uses hede otherwise. BIG performance hit.
    Sweet, thanks! now i get small fonts and no performance hit, via palm internals
    Sprint 700p
    The TC mobile forum looks a little messed up with Sans Serif 20. Sans Serif 20 Bold font works a little better for me
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I use a different solution, to improve the layout of xiino. There's a website called Webxcope.com that optimizes web
    pages for mobile devices . It has user preferences that allow you modify the way xiino renders web pages. It makes reading so much easier! I'll share my preferences if any one wants them. Try it its free you just need to register to keep your preferences.
    Last edited by migs; 08/27/2005 at 11:31 AM.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I use a different solution, to improve the layout of xiino. There's a website called Webxcope.com that optimizes web
    pages for mobile devices. It has user preferences that allow you modify the way xiino renders web pages. It makes reading so much easier! I'll share my preferences if any one wants them. Try it its free you just need to register to keep your preferences.
    Migs let me know your setting because this looks like it will definently help with the overall rendering with xiino but I would like to get everything on the page instead of having websites broken down into pages.. Tia..
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Here are my preference settings in
    Webxcope :
    Page size index: 20 (max)

Image option: on

Table option: RUnroll

Display width index: 20 (max)

Character number calibration: 49

The display width setting is what helps the most. Try experimenting with the settings you might find changing the number or options will help xiino be more usable.
    Thx migs. I will be playing with it later..
    Thanks for the post. You made my day.
    I purchased Fonts4OS5 (didn't even bother with the free trial) and I've applied the smallest font (16 point) to Xiino, Xpress Mail, and WebViewer. It doesn't play nice with some apps, but it isn't really needed in those anyway.
    16 point is almost too small sometimes, but I get so much on the Xiino page now I'd have to argue the expeience is now even better that with Blazer with small fonts! Also with Xpress mail (which uses large fonts for Treo 600 compatability) is much improved with the small fonts.

I just got an email today from the developer with an attached new version v330. I wasn't even ever expecting updates to be emailed to me, but appearently he's still improving and supporting it!
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    yeah,i've been using that method for a few apps besides xiino for a while now,and it does make a difference.......i use comic sans 16 F4O 4,handera 16 bold and Palm SGHResFonts VM 7 the most....for even more fonts,you can get an app called font collector which lets you use/save fonts from any app you have on the phone...you can save them directly to the font4os5 app as well!!
    Sweet! Thanks for the tip. I like the "Gill Sans MT" size:6 font in Snapper Mail (smallest font they have) and I have been wishing I could use this one in Xiino.
    I'll have to try the font collector and see if I can snag it in to Fonts4os5.
    By the way, I think Fonts4os5 is done very well. I really like that it will automatically store the unused fonts to the card, it's just done so well.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G