Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    PalmOne BT Headset vs. Cardo Scala 500

Okay... I've read just about every topic in this forum concerning these two headsets, but I've seen very few entries comparing the two directly. The price has fallen for both of these headsets and ten dollars separates them. I'd very much appreciate seeing a narrowed-down comparison, for those who have had experience with both headsets.

Has anyone used both of these headsets? Which one (if any) of the two would you recommend and why?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Try the comparison here

http://blog.treonauts.com/
    The best option would be to get both and send back the one that you didn't like. I am trying the Palmone BT headset first. If that doen't work out, it will go back and I will try the hbh-660.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I forgot to point out in my original comment that I had already read the treonaut review... I already knew this guy was in love with his Palm BT headset... he (or someone at Treonauts) had just previously written a glowing review of the Scala, only to give it a 6/10 in this comparo... doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I wanted to hear the experience of those who have actually owned or used both...

Hey Joe- how does one go about testing headsets and sending them back without paying a restocking/shipping fee?
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    After doing a bit more reading, I recommend that you guys check out this website:

For Scala 500:
    http://www.epinions.com/CARDO_SYSTEM...splay_~reviews

For PalmOne BT Headset:
    http://www.epinions.com/PalmOne_s_Tr...etooth_Headset

I'm a member there, but didn't think the bluetooth devices were reviewed there... sure enough, they are, and in great detail. Just mentioning it here, in case anyone wants to check it out.
    Last edited by vara411; 08/23/2005 at 11:44 PM. Reason: web address corrected (again)
    I remember reading the reviews as well. I recall the guy originally liked the Scala till he started noticing the static. If you do a search you will find lots of other people who have reported static with that headset. The Treo headset is much less prone to this staticy interference. The Treo headset matches the Treo nicely. Especially like the call waiting feature.

I bought the Sony HBH-608 and found it didn't quite have the range of the Treo headset. The tiny little call button was also annoying. In the pictures in the review it looks like the 300 and the 662 are similar.

The Treo headset is the only one that supports the call waiting, redialing feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by vara411

Hey Joe- how does one go about testing headsets and sending them back without paying a restocking/shipping fee?
    You don't. But I see no other way of testing headsets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster
    ...The Treo headset is the only one that supports the call waiting, redialing feature...
    While the Cardo Scala 500 does not support call waiting, it does fully support the redial from headset feature.

I own both a Treo BT Headset and a Cardo Scala 500. I personally favor the Scala 500. I prefer the way it fits in my ear, people I call can hear me more clearly then when I use the Treo BT, and I think my Scala sounds better then the Treo BT.

The one thing the Scala fails at however is withstanding the crushing bite of my cocker spaniel. He is attracted to the flashing blue LED, and I am dumb enough to not put it out of his reach when I step out of the room. Just last night he bit into my 2nd Scala! Ordered a 3rd new Scala last night from eBay, $36 and change which includes shipping.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    The one thing I like on the Treo headset over the Scala is Mute.

On the Scala, when you mute the headset, there is a loud beep every few seconds.

On the Treo Wireless Headset, there is a faint beep every 15 seconds. Much less annoying.
    Scala is a big ball of crappy static - it sucks.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Oops Robotron... I bought me the Scala 500... I got it on eBay for $30 including shipping, so how could I resist?!

And you know what? I am pretty happy, for the most part... sound quality has been quite acceptable, with few exceptions.

The big issues I have now are getting the darn REDIAL and MUTE functions to work properly, but otherwise, I'm happy with my purchase. And at $30? Who could argue?
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I've used both and like the Treo headset a LOT more. The sound quality is far above the Scala. The Treo headset also fits on my ear a lot better. I second the comment about the mute beep, it's much less annoying on the Treo headset.

If you have any specific questions, ask away.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by vara411
    Oops Robotron... I bought me the Scala 500... I got it on eBay for $30 including shipping, so how could I resist?!

And you know what? I am pretty happy, for the most part... sound quality has been quite acceptable, with few exceptions.

The big issues I have now are getting the darn REDIAL and MUTE functions to work properly, but otherwise, I'm happy with my purchase. And at $30? Who could argue?
    LOL yeah they are cheap..,aybe I got three lemons in a row - I also think the Treo BT implementation is likely partially to blame. I may try the Logitech next.
    I just received my replacement Scala 500. They changed the design. There is no longer a need for that crappy cradle. The charger now plugs directly into the device. The speaker is also different, bigger and louder than the prior version. It now has ZERO delay in connecting during a call. I am very impressed with the changes they made.
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    I just received my replacement Scala 500. They changed the design. There is no longer a need for that crappy cradle. The charger now plugs directly into the device. The speaker is also different, bigger and louder than the prior version. It now has ZERO delay in connecting during a call. I am very impressed with the changes they made.

Hmmm interesting... I still have the 'old version' of the Scala 500 I guess. IMO, the older version simply sucks and I truely think it was a waste of $30 bucks. Very crappy to say the least...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Both are crappy with the treo. Just went through 7 headsets from Scala, Jabra, Moto, Logitech, Treo, and Sony Ericsson. None were worth keeping.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark
    Both are crappy with the treo. Just went through 7 headsets from Scala, Jabra, Moto, Logitech, Treo, and Sony Ericsson. None were worth keeping.
    So what does work well? Nothing?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I have both the Treo and Scala. I'm happy with both of them. I can't really decide which is more comfortable, so I alternate. My wife prefers the Treo, so I am more often on the Scala.
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleNickle
    So what does work well? Nothing?

I think this depends on what your expectation levels are from BT. My goal was to find a headset that would have relatively clear connection on both ends. I wasn't looking for a set that would be as good as a wired solution. Those folks that are happy with their's may have a different threshhold for satisfaction.

Of all the units that I tested, SE 660 was the best by small margin. Downside of the 660 was the battery life which certainly was much shorter than what was advertised.