Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Got my 2 week beta today, as well. EV-DO will make this a superior product. Right now it is just a tad constrained. Much better sound delivery thru head phones vs. the rear speaker. I will have to see if VolumeCare is a help or hinderance with this product on rear speaker usage.

Going to do some channel surfing now. This product adds a great '4th' or '5th' dimennsion to our Treo.

Cheers, Perry
    Sprint PCS in Sacramento. The beta works better than I expected, given that I only get 1 or 2 bars at home, and my download speeds are usually in the 30-50K range (dialup speeds). It installed with no problem and worked from the first tap, didn't even have to reset the Treo. The sound is fuzzy at times but understandable, and more than loud enough with the Treo's speaker. I expected the video to be only a slide show but it's much better than that, I would say 4-5 fps. It's not full motion but it's definitely motion. The program pauses to rebuffer fairly often, but the rebuffering is quick, usually without leaving the program screen. Even some baseball clips, with lots of action, were watchable.

Overall, the MobiTV folks deserve congratulations, and I'm going to tell them so.
    this is fantastic it was so cool watching espn at work today and listening on my headset. It is beta and only going to get better.

Fred
    Does anyone know if the PRC's for MobiTV are keyed to your phone / email / account in any way? If they were, anyone in the beta giving them out could indeed find their own access to the beta streams terminated when their beta PRC gets used from multiple devices. Does everyone have the same MobiInst_2.0b8.prc ? Mine has a CRC of 559599c2.
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)
    i tried it with volume control seems to work fine. It seems to be a very stable beta downloaded it this afternoon at work and been on and off the rest of the day no resets at all very stable only negative when i get a message it seems to freeze the screen untill i hit the message button. This is only going to get better

Fred
    I just posted a review of MobiTV @ http://www.treoblogs.com .. mind you, I've only had it a few hours, so I'm sure I will revise this as time goes on..

Briefly... Cingular customer.. unlimited data plan...

mG
    Quote Originally Posted by GardnerMS
    I just posted a review of MobiTV @ http://www.treoblogs.com .. mind you, I've only had it a few hours, so I'm sure I will revise this as time goes on..

Briefly... Cingular customer.. unlimited data plan...

mG
    Gardner, your email from mobi asked to contact them regarding posting reviews: "If you would like to publish a review regarding this product, please respond to this email to coordinate with our marketing team."

FWIW
    Cluemeister.. you're right... I skipped over that part.. I've removed it... for the time being...
    yikes

I found the problem that was causing the mobitv to not work: I was using a custom rom. I installed the custom 1.12 so long ago that it didn't occur to me that it could be the problem.

These guys at mobiTv have been really helpful, I gotta go confess my sins to them now. I reflashed with Sprint's official 1.12 and it worked immediately. The developers suggested that I check my camera, for they appear to use the 650's camera libraries to display the video. Of course, my camera does work, so i suspected it was something deeper under my hood.

Anyway,
    -G
    Quote Originally Posted by danjb
    Does anyone know if the PRC's for MobiTV are keyed to your phone / email / account in any way? If they were, anyone in the beta giving them out could indeed find their own access to the beta streams terminated when their beta PRC gets used from multiple devices. Does everyone have the same MobiInst_2.0b8.prc ? Mine has a CRC of 559599c2.

They will send it to you if you just request it. I do not think they are going to put that much protection into a two week limited beta test.

What is the worst case scenerio for them if it does get distributed? More people will like it and subscribe after the beta ends?

FWIW, mine has the same MobiInst_2.0b8.prc filename with a CRC of 559599c2. So does a copy emailed to me from a friend.

Not trying to flame you or anything, I just don't think anyone who might have shared needs to worry.
    one word: a m a z i n g
    I got it this evening as well.

Bad news for some of us....if you aren't getting sound, it has nothing to do with third party applications. It seems some of the early 650's were not preconfigured for AMR sound which is what MobiTV is using right now.

If you are getting video but no sound, you're out of luck until they switch over to MP3 format.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Been playing with this today. Performance has been moreless flawless and so far it seems to take everything I throw at the app.
    This is great. Watching TV while riding in a car, waiting at an airport, or wating in line at say the DMV, supermarket,.. heck how many lines to you wait in on a regular basis. I always kill the time just web browsing, now I have TV!
    I would, however, like to see a little better selection of channels. I see where they were trying to go with this... news, sports, but they have some pretty obscure channels. I just hope the list improves a little over time.
    I noticed they have G4TV, but it's not part of the Cingular lineup. I wonder why?
    http://www.mobitv.com/channels/cingular.html
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Sound didn't work for me as well. Actually it killed all external sound even from other apps after installing. Doing a reboot via the reset button behind the battery cover fixed it. It works fine now. Verizon 1.01 user here.
    Does anyone know if this is considered the "high frame rate" or "Standard frame rate" experience? If it is high, I'd hate to see the standard frame rate. I'm not sure the quality is good enough to pay for it yet. I was kinda disappointed by the choppy video and muffled audio. It sure seemed like one of the phones I played with in Sprint store worked better than this does. I guess it won't improve much until EVDO is on line.

As far as the channels go, I think that the pay version has more channels than the beta version.
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    This is awsome. I am totally floored, plus as GFunk said it does run of SD card using zlauncher
    is there any hardware settings I can look at to see it I have the AMR setup? BTW how do you know this? thanks
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    I don't know how you would find AMR setting?? I thought all 650's had AMR.
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    Does anyone know if this is considered the "high frame rate" or "Standard frame rate" experience?
    I think this is considered ... Medium frame rate? They have a demo on their web site where you can watch what a 'standard' frame rate vs. a high frame rate looks like.
    Standard frame rate is roughly 2fps (I think it's in a FAQ,) and high is much higher.
    In any case the Treo frame rate looks like it's better than standard but not as good as the high shown in the demo, but somewhere in between assuming the demo is what high really looks like It seems the Treo demo is about 4-5fps by my count (holding my watch next to the screen and trying to count frames, haha)

I get the same performance using EDGE as I do with a bluetooth network access point (reverse DUN) although I admit my bandwith with the bluetooth access point isn't much better than about 255kbps and I think it uses some of the processing power whereas the EDGE radio is separate and doesn't impact the processor as much. So I'm not sure if this affects performance at all.
    The FAQ says MobiTV uses 2MB for 10 min of viewing. If my math is right that comes out to 26kbps.

Using the bluetooth network access point, I set up some network monitoring tools on the PC that acts as the access point.
    The average over 2 min almost exactly 56kbps.
    So it appears they have it at 56kpbs to keep it in a safe EDGE range. So your right that 3G services might show us better video.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    As far as the channels go, I think that the pay version has more channels than the beta version.
    The channel lineup on this Beta matches exactly what they have listed at the web site:
    http://www.mobitv.com/channels/cingular.html
    With only 2 differences, one is the MobiTV demo channel.

So I'm not expecting more channels from the pay service.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast