Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223 LastLast
    Not really, no. I was wondering myself the same thing, but so far the beta server seems to have held up just fine, if in fact there was heavy load because of the hurricane coverage.
    I found this very handy today to be able to tune in to ABC news and The Weather Channel for updates. I'm in California so it was purely curiosity in my case.
    I really wish they could add Fox news and/or CNN but we'll get what we get.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I am ready to beta, borrow or buy this app. MLB baseball, College football (go Trojans) and the occasional news broadcast makes this worth paying decent $ for.
    Waiting is the hardest part.
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    I really wish they could add Fox news
    Same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by justleft
    For those of you beta testing MobiTV - have you noticed any slow down during the last 24 hours? Thought that many people might be tuning in for hurricance Katrina coverage, putting additional stress on their server. Just wondering if it had any affect.

I was inside Katrina...unfortunatley I couldnt even access MobiTV.
    Power was just restored a few minutes ago in my home, most are still out. Getting a cell phone call is nearly impossible. It takes 10-15 attempts just to complete a call.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    Sorry to hear that. You guys got pounded! Fox news reporters say the same thing, that cell service is spotty at best and takes many many many tries to get a call through. I can't imagine data services are working at all.
    I see you have internet access though You can always make calls using VOIP or Skype if you had it.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Actually, two.
    1. How much memory does this thing eat?
    2. Can you run it off SD? Maybe the beta will, but I HIGHLY doubt the Sprint purchased model will. They lock ALL they're stuff.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Actually, two.
    1. How much memory does this thing eat?
    2. Can you run it off SD? Maybe the beta will, but I HIGHLY doubt the Sprint purchased model will. They lock ALL they're stuff.
    Hi DrDoom:

Check out post #183 and #185. The .prc is 636kb and it appears that is the amount of dbcache that is allocated when you invoke the program. Do not know about #2 question, it may be buried way back there, as well.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanoj
    I am ready to beta, borrow or buy this app. MLB baseball, College football (go Trojans) and the occasional news broadcast makes this worth paying decent $ for.
    Waiting is the hardest part.
    Not sure where you've seen this. MLB Audio will not be available. They say they are working on it, but not for this season. No live football that I'm aware of.
    Has anyone noticed MobiTV causing instability on your Treo? Since I've added it, the unit arbritrarily resets itself on a daily basis. I would move it, but as most of you know you cannot move or copy the prc once it's installed into RAM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I have no problem moving it after it is installed in RAM. I do use Zlauncher, don't know if that is why but I have no problem.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman
    I have no problem moving it after it is installed in RAM. I do use Zlauncher, don't know if that is why but I have no problem.
    This is encouraging, but again, I bet the "official version" will not run on an SD.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    This is encouraging, but again, I bet the "official version" will not run on an SD.
    Why wouldn't it? Apps on the SD get moved to RAM while you're using it then are put back on the SD after you're done...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I've had 2 resets in 2 days and I had one last week since installing mobi tv. Make sure you reply to the beta testers and let them know what apps you are using and who your phone service is with and firmware.

(I had maybe one reset in the last 3 months before this)

One the upside, I have however, seen the taxi cab three times in the past week. I had only seen in 2 times since December.
    I have had my Treo reset while watching MobiTV several times. Usually it's when I've been watching for 10 min or more. Unfortunately I have no way of knowing if it's MobiTV really causing it or if something like XPress mail is going out to check mail at a scheduled interval could be helping to trigger it. I can't know unless I do some testing.
    I have 4.4MB free. I otherwise experience few and rare resets.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Why wouldn't it? Apps on the SD get moved to RAM while you're using it then are put back on the SD after you're done...
    I think you're right.
    For the most part the only apps that usually need to be permanently installed in RAM are:
    1) Resource files that the main app needs to find when it runs (such as font files, databases, etc.)
    2) Programs that have scheduled tasks. Examples: Email programs, backup programs, etc.
    3) Programs that have to run in the background to constantly monitor and do things: Font programs/hacks, phone apps, launchers, IM programs, profile programs, and utilities.

Generally, if the program is only running when you're using it and is otherwise shut down when you exit it, it can be launched and stored on the card. Especially if the program is one signle .PRC file.
    MobiTV is just the app and a small database for your settings. When you leave it it's shut down, so I would think there's no reason it can't be on the card.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Sorry I didn't feel like reading 20 pages.

With Sprint, do you need to sign up for an extra service or does it connect through Vision.
    Through Vision
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Those who are getting resets should be emailing treobeta@mobitv.com

If you're going to beta, at least have the common courtesy to give them FEEDBACK!

That being said, I did email them about it and they say they think the resets are caused by bad video chunks in the stream and they are working on fixing that.

They also apparently are in talks with a lot of other networks who are now showing interest in being on MobiTV. The reason why we have different channels on sprint than on orange UK has to do with agreements they worked out with those networks. Orange UK gets Cartoon Network, we don't. Presumably, Time Warner feels we in the US aren't worthy to get it over MobiTV. Perhaps emails to the networks in question might show interest in being viewed via MobiTV and we might see more content to our liking.

The MobiTV person who responded to my feedback did say that "Content is always the issue, but all I can tell you is that it only gets better from here. We've got the visionaries on board right now, and we're in negotiations with everybody else who's late to the party."

Take that for what it's worth to you, but hopefully it means we'll be seeing more channels in the near future.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Btw, heard back again from MobiTV. They said they have upped the "Are you there?" nag to 20 minutes on their production servers. The reason they have it at all is because the carriers (Sprint, Verizon, Cingular, etc) required it because they didn't want you burning up the network if you weren't actually -watching- it. Understandable, but still kind of annoying.

At least it's good to know that it won't be as frequent of a nag as it is in beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz
    Btw, heard back again from MobiTV. They said they have upped the "Are you there?" nag to 20 minutes on their production servers
    Thank God. The 5 min is just too darn short. I could even live with 10 min, but I'll take the 20. I don't think (the nag) it's such a bad idea.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)