1.    #1  
    My old Clear Touch Anti-Glare from my 600 was running a little long in the tooth, so I decided that my new 650 deserved a new screen protector.

I ordered a new one, and the first had some sort of adhesive that wouldn't seem to come off. After a little discussion with Boxwave, I bought a new one and they sent a label to return the old one for refund.

I just received the replacement, and it had some adhesive as well (near the sticker on the adhesive backing that the protector comes stuck to), but this one came off. I don't remember having this many issues with any of the others I previously had, and never had to clean a brand new protector prior to putting it on.

But the new Clear Touch causes some sort of diagonal lines (approx. a 30-degree angle up to the right) on the screen. It's definitely an overlay, as it moves a little when tilting the Treo.

Anyone else seen this? I assume I'll have to return this one as well?

I'm getting frustrated, as my previous experiences with Boxwave products were nothing less than stellar, but I'm having a great deal of issues with the newest ones.
    I received my last pack from them about 6 weeks ago. Have not experienced any problems. I would return it.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    My old Clear Touch Anti-Glare from my 600 was running a little long in the tooth, so I decided that my new 650 deserved a new screen protector.

I ordered a new one, and the first had some sort of adhesive that wouldn't seem to come off. After a little discussion with Boxwave, I bought a new one and they sent a label to return the old one for refund.

I just received the replacement, and it had some adhesive as well (near the sticker on the adhesive backing that the protector comes stuck to), but this one came off. I don't remember having this many issues with any of the others I previously had, and never had to clean a brand new protector prior to putting it on.

But the new Clear Touch causes some sort of diagonal lines (approx. a 30-degree angle up to the right) on the screen. It's definitely an overlay, as it moves a little when tilting the Treo.

Anyone else seen this? I assume I'll have to return this one as well?

I'm getting frustrated, as my previous experiences with Boxwave products were nothing less than stellar, but I'm having a great deal of issues with the newest ones.
    PabloTX,

I'm terribly sorry to hear that you've been experiencing issues with the ClearTouch. I would think that the ClearTouch is defective since there is an evident "line" or a scratch but seeing that the lines move as you tilt the Treo, it seems like you have a "moire pattern" due to an uneven tension in between the screen and the ClearTouch.

The pattern is known to clear itself up but if not, you can try to "massage" the screen with your thumbs from the outside edge to the center. This will help redistribute the gel and help even out the displacement of the gel inside the screen.

If this does not serve as a solution for you, please contact customerservice@boxwave.com once more to request an exchange or refund. Also, feel free to PM me if you have any other questions or concerns.

Cheers,
    Cho
  4.    #4  
    Thanks Cho. It does seem like a "moire pattern".

I'll try to reapply it again tonight, but I've also noticed that the screen edges (all 4 sides) are starting to lift and will not stay down when pressure is applied again.

I'm waiting on a response to an email that I sent back to Winkie requesting more information, so I'll see what they say and if cleaning and reapplying the protector will solve the issues.

If not, I'll probably just return this one and buy the 3 pack in hopes that one of them will work for me.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by PabloTX; 08/23/2005 at 03:18 PM.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Thanks Cho. It does seem like a "moire pattern".

I'll try to reapply it again tonight, but I've also noticed that the screen edges (all 4 sides) are starting to lift and will not stay down when pressure is applied again.

I'm waiting on a response to an email that I sent back to Winkie requesting more information, so I'll see what they say and if cleaning and reapplying the protector will solve the issues.

If not, I'll probably just return this one and buy the 3 pack in hopes that one of them will work for me.

Thanks again.

It's no problem at all

I actually learned that reapplying the ClearTouch won't help the moire pattern much but "massging" the screen will be the most helpful.

Yes, please check with Winkie -- she should provide the best solution for you -- as the edges are now lifting also.

I hope everything works out well for you. Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions or concerns.

Cheers,
    Cho
  6.    #6  
    I also sent in a picture of what the screen looks like with the protector on in hopes that it will help identify the issue. It doesn't come across as well as I can see with my eye, but hopefully it will help.

The fact that the screen looks perfectly fine with the protector off, but the pattern shows up when the protector is applied (and that I don't see the pattern with my old Cleartouch from my 600) leads me to believe that it's the particular protector, and not the screen itself.
  7.    #7  
    Also, I just lifted the protector and rotated it 90-degrees.

The pattern is now at a different angle (running more vertically as opposed to more horizontally earlier).
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I also sent in a picture of what the screen looks like with the protector on in hopes that it will help identify the issue. It doesn't come across as well as I can see with my eye, but hopefully it will help.

The fact that the screen looks perfectly fine with the protector off, but the pattern shows up when the protector is applied (and that I don't see the pattern with my old Cleartouch from my 600) leads me to believe that it's the particular protector, and not the screen itself.
    PabloTX,

You're definitely right. The problem does not lie in the screen but it doesn't necessarily mean it lies in the ClearTouch either. The moire pattern can appear with any screen protection and to any handheld screen. Have you tried massaging the screen?

Please let me know how the issue was resolved as you speak with Winkie.

Cheers,
    Cho
  9.    #9  
    Winkie says that it's likely caused by the anti-glare conflicting with the high-res screen.

But using my old Anti-Glare on it did not produce the same effect, neither did the initial one that I sent back, and I searched and haven't found anyone having similar issues, and this is a large sample size.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Winkie says that it's likely caused by the anti-glare conflicting with the high-res screen.

But using my old Anti-Glare on it did not produce the same effect, neither did the initial one that I sent back, and I searched and haven't found anyone having similar issues, and this is a large sample size.
    PabloTX,

Please check your PM as I've written a response to your posts there
  11.    #11  
    I'm getting some answers that don't appear to add up to me.

As I mentioned before, the moire pattern is caused by the anti-glare nature of the ClearTouch so getting a replacement of another anti-glare screen protector will only yield the same result. In addition, we do not accept any return of an used ClearTouch for refund or exchange unless it arrived to you defective. However, your satisfaction is important to us, and I will be glad to offer you a 25% discount for your next purchase of two ClearTouch Crystals.
    If the problem is due to the anti-glare nature,

1) Why was it not present on earlier anti-glares I have owned and have used on the same screen.

2) Why have there not been other reports of this issue on TreoCentral, with a large user base?

I do appreciate the response and the offer for the discount, but when I initially had this problem, I did not find anyone else who has had this issue with the anti-glare.

Has anyone else on TC seen this "moire pattern" or banding when using the BoxWave ClearTouch on their Treo 650?
  12.    #12  
    I just can't seem to win with the new BoxWave ClearTouch protectors. I don't know if it's my Treo or what, but I've been through about 8 of these (some replaced, some were purchased) and I can't get a single one to work as well as they had on my 600.

Even after resolving myself to going with the Crystal, I absolutely cannot get them to stay down on the edges. Immediately after installation, they raise on at least 3 sides in "bubbles" right at the edges. Supposedly they will go down by themselves after time, but after a week or so of constantly re-pressing down they just come back and continue to grow larger.

The Crystal also seems to scratch very easily, even when using the included applicator card to smooth out the edges.

I'm done with asking BoxWave to replace them. They've been helpful with suggestions and replacements, but each replacement is no better than the previous.

I' about to the point where I'm just going to forego a screen protector and take my chances, then make a warranty claim if it gets bad enough.
    Last edited by PabloTX; 09/16/2005 at 07:40 AM.
  13. cng
    Holy crap, you spent $80 on screen protectors?! I bought the same ClearTouch and there was some difficulty with the first one. The edges and corners look like there are wetness under the screen protector. However, the wetness does not move. It is too close to the edge for my fingers to massage it. The applicator card did nothing as the wetness did not move. The corner of the screen protector seems to be more severe as it seems like there is a foggy patch there. This is simular to what happened to the first one except the first one was a disaster. The second one I am more content with and decided not to bother Boxwave on this as the affected area is small though the problem itself is not really minor. The fogginess, I suspect, is from adhesive clumping when being applied. So right now it seems though I have ripped off the label of a plastic bottleand some residue is left behind. This residue though is under the screen protector of course. I dont know, the screen protectors are very expensive and with my Clie UX50, I never even bought one so this is definetly an expensive matter I do not want to invest too much on. The FlexSkin seems to be okay though some stretching does make the holes go out of place and mine was cut unevenly so the screen hole is not perfect rectangle (square is a rectangle too but by what I said I mean not all four corners have 90 degrees, slanted top). I find it very hard to access the battery but again this is not Boxwave's fault. I like Boxwave and their products but it just seems lately they are not keep up with quality as much. The cable I find lacking a Hotsync button. The connector gets loose too. Other than that, there is not much more.
  14.    #14  
    No, as I said, Boxwave Customer Service has been very helpful, however the products have been unacceptable. I purchased a single Anti-Glare, which they exchanged and I paid the difference for a 3-pack (2 anti-glare, 1 Crystal). Those were no better, so I tried another identical 3 pack (again, exchange).

So I'm only out the cost of a 3-pack (which they also offered to take back), but I'll probably keep as a backup.

I have the same "wetness" on the edges. The latest Crystal only has it on the top, though it is fairly large, it's less visible with the screen on.

And I agree with the apparent decline in quality. I had absolutely no issues with the one I purchased over a year ago. Now, I've been through nearly 10 and can't get one that matches the quality. Maybe it's the 650, I don't know.

I do know that I'm trying a Martin Fields protector, then maybe a G3 if that one doesn't work.
  15. cng
    Let me know what you think is best. I'm looking for a thin plastic type like ClearTouch and it must be really clear.
  16.    #16  
    Will do.

Another thing that really disappoints me is Boxwave's own Applicator card scratching the Crystal protectors when trying to smooth out the edges.
  17. cng
    Its weak. I used a credit card and it seemed fine.
    I just can't seem to win with the new BoxWave ClearTouch protectors. I don't know if it's my Treo or what, but I've been through about 8 of these (some replaced, some were purchased) and I can't get a single one to work as well as they had on my 600.

Even after resolving myself to going with the Crystal, I absolutely cannot get them to stay down on the edges. Immediately after installation, they raise on at least 3 sides in "bubbles" right at the edges. Supposedly they will go down by themselves after time, but after a week or so of constantly re-pressing down they just come back and continue to grow larger.

The Crystal also seems to scratch very easily, even when using the included applicator card to smooth out the edges.

I'm done with asking BoxWave to replace them. They've been helpful with suggestions and replacements, but each replacement is no better than the previous.

I' about to the point where I'm just going to forego a screen protector and take my chances, then make a warranty claim if it gets bad enough.
    I feel bad for you. You might try the screen protector sold by TreoCentral (this site). I've been using the same one for the past several months without any problems. I have none of the issues/problems you mentioned. Only costs about $15 for a pack of 3. The TreoCentral brand is a little bit thicker than other brands, and it lays perfectly flat on my Treo 650 screen withOUT any air bubbles whatsoever. I have since personally put on the same screen protector for a few of my other Treo owner friends, and they all love it. I highly recommend the TreoCentral brand. That said, I should also mention that I have no experience with the BoxWave brand, so I cannot comment on this.

Cheers, CC.