Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I'm a new (well, I should get it in a couple days) user of a Treo 650, and a new BT user as well. I noticed a Bluetooth USB PC adapter on sale at CompUSA for $10 after rebate, and I was considering picking one up until I asked myself: what could I do with it that the stock USB cable cannot?

The box already contains a USB cable, and I assume I could use the cable for transferring files to and from RAM like I would with a BT adapter (only not wirelessly). Is there anything I can't do with the stock USB cable that the BT adapter can other than wireless connectivity, or would the money be better spent on a CF PC adapter and card?
    The USB cable and USB BT adapter are two different things.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Bluetooth syncing is only for convienence. It is much slower than the USB. So, unless you have BT built in to your notebook, it is not worth getting a BT adapter and using that instead of the sync cable.

You will need a SD card and adapter, especially if you want to listen to music or audio.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I have a Bluetooth adapter for my PC. I use it to connect a GPS receiver to my PC. I don't really need it because my GPS receiver is mainly intended for my Treo, which already has built-in Bluetooth.
    Last edited by mozilla; 08/23/2005 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Fix typo
    I picked up a BT adapter a week ago and love it. I use it mainly for connecting my laptop to the internet via PDAnet when Lan/WiFi services are not available and transferring files to the Treo. I also use it to Hotsync and I can't see any difference in the speed versus the stock cable. The cool thing about using the BT adapter when accessing the internet is that the phone remains on your hip, in your pocket or across the room without any damn cables hanging all over the place. I travel a great deal and when I stop to get a bite to eat and get some work done at the same time, I just leave the Treo in its holster and split the table in two. One side for food tray, other for laptop. No mess, no fuss. In fact, I really don't know where I left that stock cable. I think I tossed it aside after I figured out how to enable the IrDA port on my laptop. Now with the BT adadpter in place, that thing is going back to its dormant state I tell you what.
    Quote Originally Posted by mozilla
    I don't really need it because my GPS receiver is mainly intended for my Treo, which already has built-in GPS.
    A treo with built in GPS?
    Reverse DUN is somewhat of a novelty, but it can also be useful. We have one computer in our house that three people via for time on. I can use my Treo for sending and receiving e-mail and some minimal surfing while my wife or son use the computer. It's also a good option if you sync on multiple machines. I leave my USB cable at work and sync over bluetooth at home.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    Quote Originally Posted by mozilla
    I have a Bluetooth adapter for my PC. I use it to connect a GPS receiver to my PC. I don't really need it because my GPS receiver is mainly intended for my Treo, which already has built-in GPS.
    ??????

The Treo does not have built-in GPS, or at least a usable GPS. Most people are using a TomTom GPS or equal on the Treo 650.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Oops, sorry for the confusion. I meant "built-in Bluetooth".
    I'm looking for a bluetooth stero headphones so I can listen to music at the gym without the wires flopping everywhere and without destroying my treo headphone jack. (on treo number 2)

Ideas?

Norrin
    The Treo does not support streaming music over bluetooth. Bluetooth 1.2 is required for this and the Treo only has Bluetooth 1.1.