1.    #1  
    I have searched all over, please excuse me if this has been asked before:

Since my Treo 650 has built in GPS, is there software out there that takes advantage of it? I don't want an additional GPS unit, I want to use ONE DEVICE.

That's why I bought a Treo in the first place!
    Who told you the Treo has GPS? They lied; it's GPRS wireless. One letter difference, two very different things.
  3. amf
    The Treo 650 DOES NOT HAVE a built in GPS. It does support GPRS which is completely different from GPS. Hope this clear things up.
    Either that, or he's mistaking 911 Location Based Services for GPS.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    How do I use the teleporter function? I don't want to have Scotty do it, I want to be able to do it from my ONE DEVICE!

and I want it to cook popcorn too. And replace my girlfriend...I can't find the vag!na port ..can someone help me?
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-i-am
    I don't want to have Scotty do it...
    Too funny, lol.
    CDMA Treo 650's support AGPS, which is not the same thing. Point is, there is NO software available to make the treo give you GPS data, yet... For GSM folks, it is even less likely...
  8.    #8  
    It is a CDMA. I confused AGPS with GPS.

It lets me choose between "Location On" and "911 Only". It was wishful thinking I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    CDMA Treo 650's support AGPS, which is not the same thing. Point is, there is NO software available to make the treo give you GPS data, yet... For GSM folks, it is even less likely...

Shadow,

There was a thread ealier that stated that the Java Plugin included the API's for AGPS. Thus, there is a way to access the gps functionality, but it isn't really worth anything until Sprint launches its LBS services...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  10.    #10  
    First of all, Sam I Am can drop his arrogance level just a notch.

Second, " but it isn't really worth anything until Sprint launches its LBS services... "
    Will Verizon be doing any LBS and will it be additional cost (something tells me the last part might be obvious)
    Quote Originally Posted by tech12

Second, " but it isn't really worth anything until Sprint launches its LBS services... "
    Will Verizon be doing any LBS and will it be additional cost (something tells me the last part might be obvious)

Sorry, not very familiar with Verizon's plans. You chould checkout hofo's for more info...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    from what i have seen it will be pay per query...
    yea- sprint offers LBS, but only for enterprise customers and it's a pay per query kind of thing... you hand out phones to people and you can go online and query the position of the phones up to a certain amount of times per month. nothing along the lines of consumer LBS such as you walk by a store and instantly a coupon is sent to your phone enticing you to shop there.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Here's more information about Sprint's LBS services. I'm willing to bet they will use this in lew of GPS in the upcoming Treo model (670/700) and probably launch both the phone and comsumer service around the same time.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...119TX1K0000594
    Quote Originally Posted by tech12
    sorry ... it must have been a bad day or something