Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I've browsed the accessories store here and a couple other places, but haven't found what I'm looking for. Basically, I need a car mount/cradle with as many of the following features as possible:
    • Mounts via vent clips or some kind of clamp rather than suction cups (windshield is too far from the driver's seat)
    • Gets power from cigarette lighter
    • Charges the Treo while docked
    • While docked, Treo's audio goes to my stereo (cradle needs some kind of audio output via RCA or mini jack)
    • Cradle has a phone mute output to slience my car stereo when the phone rings

What I *don't* need is a microphone, any kind of synchronization support, a built-in speaker, or anything like that.

So, has anyone seen a car dock that comes close to most or all of these requirements?
    I use the Seidio G2100M! It works with my GPS and Mapopolis, charges, holds the unit with suction cup or vent clip, has an external audio that I plug my cassette adapter into (also needs the treo audio adapter) It comes with an external microphone. The casseste adapter is always on for ebooks (ptunes) or the gps. Both programs stop when the phone rings. If you have a direct plug into your stereo, it might stop the radio sound, but I'm not sure as I don't have that option. I've only had this combo for a week or so but it does everything I need!
    Seidio probably has the closest to your requirements, although it does have builtin speaker....

http://www.seidioonline.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=417

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Please post to the correct forum.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    For future reference, which forum is the correct one for cradles?
    While I am still corresponding with Seidio on my G2500 car kit, from the two that I have been thru already, the quality seems to be lacking. Especially the connectors - On one of them, the MIC connector was too loose, on the other one the power adapter was lose and speaker volume was too low. I am still waiting for third one to arrive. Also, if you buy from them and have problems, contact them as quickly as possible.
    I had a G2500 cradle for a few months with no problems except an echo for the caller. I had it replaced and the new one had a bad speaker and mic. It also had what seemed was low volume. It is being replaced now. I think I should have lived with the echo, at least it worked. My girlfriend also has a 650 with the G2500 and hers seems to have a bad mic jack or something internal.
    These units do seem to have some "quality control" issues but what else is out there that offers the charging ability with handsfree?
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Hm, thanks for the advice, everybody. The G2100M sounds like the best option, though the reliability problems do have me concerned, especially for a $90 device. To those who've had troubles, how have Seidio been with support/returns/service etc?
    Seidio tech support tries best to solve your problem and then refers you to customer support. Customer support is spotty at best. On RMA, they want you to ship unit first and then wait a week or so it will take them to get it, look at it and then repair/replace it. Too long in my opinion while they still have your money and you just paid for return shipping. On the RMA form they suggest that you order a new one and call support and let them know that the new order is a replacement and they will waive the shipping charge - I was afraid that once I order a new one, I will be stuck with two cradles - but I did it anyways and they did refund the shipping charge on the new unit (I have yet to see the credit on the old one though).

When the replacement unit was bad, they won't even give me an RMA number. The customer support rep asked me to mail the unit to her attention (with no RMA number or proof that it was even her correct name) and she will take it to engineering to examine if my compalints are correct and then act on it accordingly. What happens if she leave the company (I have no idea). I have no way of proving my conversation with her if the kit gets lost once it reaches Seidio. I don't even have her direct extension or a way to get in touch with her (other than calling the main line and asking for her by name).

They seem to have products that I want (and noone else has), but I will be hard pressed to do business with them again.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrd
    Seidio tech support tries best to solve your problem and then refers you to customer support. Customer support is spotty at best. On RMA, they want you to ship unit first and then wait a week or so it will take them to get it, look at it and then repair/replace it. Too long in my opinion while they still have your money and you just paid for return shipping. On the RMA form they suggest that you order a new one and call support and let them know that the new order is a replacement and they will waive the shipping charge - I was afraid that once I order a new one, I will be stuck with two cradles - but I did it anyways and they did refund the shipping charge on the new unit (I have yet to see the credit on the old one though).

When the replacement unit was bad, they won't even give me an RMA number. The customer support rep asked me to mail the unit to her attention (with no RMA number or proof that it was even her correct name) and she will take it to engineering to examine if my compalints are correct and then act on it accordingly. What happens if she leave the company (I have no idea). I have no way of proving my conversation with her if the kit gets lost once it reaches Seidio. I don't even have her direct extension or a way to get in touch with her (other than calling the main line and asking for her by name).

They seem to have products that I want (and noone else has), but I will be hard pressed to do business with them again.
    If you are going to send it to this woman, send it to the company name and to her attention via USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. That way you have proof that it was sent to them and could dispute any charges with your credit card company if it became a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tone
    If you are going to send it to this woman, send it to the company name and to her attention via USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. That way you have proof that it was sent to them and could dispute any charges with your credit card company if it became a problem.
    Thx - I sent it FedEx ground so I have a tracking number and proof.
    when does it happen? I did call them in Seidio. she sounds nice and helpful.
    Just an update - I sent my Car kit back to Seidio on 8/22/05. I called them last week to ask about the status. She (customer dis-service rep) had no idea that Kit had been delivered to them. She promised me she will make sure that a new one will be sent that evening. Well 7 days later, no kit, so I called again. Now the kit is in the technical dept and it will be five more business days before they will know if my kit does not work or I am a liar. Good grief. I wonder how they manage to stay in business. I am going to call AMEX and dispute the charges until I get a working kit.
    Another (final) update: Finally, I received a car kit replacement yesterday (9/12) from Seidio. The low volume problem is still there, but I have given up on it. I will try to use VolumeCare and hopefully it will make the kit useful. Sorry for running a commentary on my problems, but I thought it might be helpful to someone who is considering buying from Seidio.
    Another (final) update: Finally, I received a car kit replacement yesterday (9/12) from Seidio. The low volume problem is still there, but I have given up on it. I will try to use VolumeCare and hopefully it will make the kit useful. Sorry for running a commentary on my problems, but I thought it might be helpful to someone who is considering buying from Seidio.
    Please let me know how this works for you. I did include carkit support in VolumeCare but I do not have a carkit myself. So I am very interested in your findings.

Jeff
    Jeff.

I did try VolumeCare, it bumps up the volume a bit (at max setting), which makes the sound barely audible while driving. Incidently, the pTunes music plays very loud on the kit speaker, so I am not sure why the volume of voice call is bad.

There is no explicit mention of car kit in VolumeCare GUI, so I just selected all speaker options and maxed them all out.

jrd
    Jeff.

I did try VolumeCare, it bumps up the volume a bit (at max setting), which makes the sound barely audible while driving. Incidently, the pTunes music plays very loud on the kit speaker, so I am not sure why the volume of voice call is bad.

There is no explicit mention of car kit in VolumeCare GUI, so I just selected all speaker options and maxed them all out.

jrd
    The speaker phone and carkit share the same configuration controls. At MAX setting are you referring to Start Volume or Boost level?

Jeff
    I was referring to Boost level. After a bit more experimentation I have found that the VolumeCare does help significantly with the car kit and makes the kit usable. Thanks.
    The only complaint I have against VolumeCare is that it screws up pTune music volume (if I have graphics equalizer in pTunes turned on).
    I was referring to Boost level. After a bit more experimentation I have found that the VolumeCare does help significantly with the car kit and makes the kit usable. Thanks.
    The only complaint I have against VolumeCare is that it screws up pTune music volume (if I have graphics equalizer in pTunes turned on).
    Thanks for the feedback!

Jeff
    Well the car kit broke again - the microphone connector is lose and I can't talk ino microphone. I have submitted an RMA online yesterday and my warranty period expires today. I have not heard from them yet. I called the customer service and they told me that filling online RMA form is the only option and that as long as I filled in the RMA form before warranty date, I should be OK. I will keep my finger crossed. Hopefully I will get my RMA number today.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast