1.    #1  
    I recently purchased a Treo a week ago Sunday. So far I like it pretty well except for email. I have a Verizon phone, which came loaded with the Wireless Sync software. I wasn't too impressed with the way it handled email so I installed VersaMail. That was better but still didn't seem perfect. I had trouble getting all of my messages. Then I read here about Chatter and thought I'd give it a try, even though I'm on a POP3 account. It seemed to work much better at receiving emails, but I can't send them. So now I have a few questions:

1) Has anyone had trouble with Chatter and Optimum Online? Messages just sit in the outbox and the message at the bottom right of the screen says "SMTP Cnct" in red. I contacted Marc at Chattermail and he doesn't have a solution as of yet.

2) Besides Chatter, what email program is recommended? I've read about Snapper but haven't checked that out yet. Are people generally happy with VersaMail? I don't need to do too much. Just read and respond to emails. I don't get a lot of mail but I tend to be away from my desk and the emails I do get need immediate attention.

3) This may seem like a basic question but should the email client on the desktop, in this case Outlook, be on of off? It seems like if I have Outlook open on my desktop emails don't get through, but it still seems like I don't get all my emails with or without the desktop open.

4) Other than wasted space, can having three programs, Chatter, VersaMail and Wireless Sync, all installed cause conflicts? And if so, how do you delete programs so as not to leave any potentially conflicting files behind?

5) Is there any reason to keep Wireless Sync on the Treo? Does anybody use it?

Thanks for any help and advice you can provide. I have until Sunday to return the Treo. I'd really like to keep it but I need a simple solution for email. So far, this hasn't been too simple.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I like Snappermail enough that I removed Versamail from ROM on my Treo 650 and loaded Snapper into a custom made ROM. It works well and lets me keep my inboxes cleaned up nicely.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    I have Verizon and can tell you what works best for me. Forget about the Wireless Sync. You have to have your home/office computer on to get it.

You can't delete Wireless sync without a custom rom. You can remove Versamail.

You should download a trial version of Chattermail. You should go to www.fusemail.com and set up an IMAP account for you pop mail accounts. You can have a free 10 day trial. Then set up your chattermail to receive the IMAP from Fusemail. (PM if you need the settings.) Then you will have true push email. After you try this, I think you will be hooked.

The only problem is with Verizon, it tends to use the battery more than other services but if you can top it off during the day, no problem.
    You won't be able to use the SMTP server from Optimum Online, because they only allow it to be used if your are connected through their network. I believe Verizon provides a smtp server that you can use, but I don't know the address for it.

If you have Outlook open on your desktop, and it's setup to automatically retrieve email and then delete it from the server, then you won't be able to reliably retrieve all your email on your Treo.
  5.    #5  
    I was reading up on Snapper. In the FAQ it states that "SnapperMail is a wireless email application only. It does not sync messages with your desktop." What exactly does this mean? Is this any different than VersaMail, Verizon VZEmail, or Chatter?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    I have Verizon and can tell you what works best for me. Forget about the Wireless Sync. You have to have your home/office computer on to get it.

You can't delete Wireless sync without a custom rom. You can remove Versamail.

You should download a trial version of Chattermail. You should go to www.fusemail.com and set up an IMAP account for you pop mail accounts. You can have a free 10 day trial. Then set up your chattermail to receive the IMAP from Fusemail. (PM if you need the settings.) Then you will have true push email. After you try this, I think you will be hooked.

The only problem is with Verizon, it tends to use the battery more than other services but if you can top it off during the day, no problem.
    Thanks for your response - very helpful! I had Chattermail already installed but was having trouble sending through Optonline. I signed up for the Fusemail account and was able to send with Chattermail that way. I have my main email address fused with my Fusemail account and have Chattermail set up with the IMAP server at Fusemail.

Now I'm just a little confused about receiving mail. Should my main email client be closed in order to receive mail? For example, I sent an email from my Gmail account to my Optimum Online account twice. The first time I had Outlook open, which is where I have the Optonline account setup to receive mail. However, I didn't receive the message in Chattermail. But when I had Outlook closed, the message from Gmail to Optonline showed up in Chattermail in about a minute. How should I have the desktop and the handheld set up now?
    What's happening is that Outlook is automatically checking for new email and downloading it. Once it's completed downloading your email it deletes it from the server, and that's why you're not getting it on your Treo.

Your options are to keep Outlook closed when you want to check email from your Treo or change Outlook's settings to not delete email from the server after it automatically retrieves it. My guess is that your ISP only provides a limited amount of space for email, so you'll have to manually delete email from the server occassionally if you change these settings. I don't know exactly where to look in Outlook for these settings, but maybe someone else can provide the steps.
    And another good example of why POP3 is a poor choice when email is needed on multiple devices.

Marc
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_mathews
    Your options are to keep Outlook closed when you want to check email from your Treo or change Outlook's settings to not delete email from the server after it automatically retrieves it. My guess is that your ISP only provides a limited amount of space for email, so you'll have to manually delete email from the server occassionally if you change these settings. I don't know exactly where to look in Outlook for these settings, but maybe someone else can provide the steps.
    In case anyone else is interested, in order to change Outlook as alex_mathews suggests, go to options => mail setup => email accounts => more settings => advanced and under "delivery" click on Leave a copy of messages on server. Then you can set it to be deleted after however many days you want. So no manual deletion is necessary.
    I have my Chatter set to leave a copy on the server. That way, I still get my emails on my pop3 accounts when I open Outlook on my desktop/notebook computers. As far as I can tell, when the pop3 accounts pull in the mail, it takes it off the Fusemail server. So, I get the emails through Fusemail on my Treo and then in Outlook. Yes, it is a duplication, but sometimes I want the emails on my desktop/notebook computer. I also get my Fusemail emails in Outlook in a different inbox.