1.    #1  
    I am using Versamail 3.0 on my 650. I was having trouble sending mail through my ISP (Charter) so I got hooked up with Fastmail. This works great for sending e-mail out, but I am now unable to retrieve e-mail from Charter. I get a DNS error when trying to resolve pop.charter.net.

I seem to remember this happening when trying to get Charter to work using ESMTP - which you have to use for Fastmail. So it seems that the solution is this:

To receive e-mail: uncheck ESMTP setting under advanced.
    To send e-mail: check and add settings for ESMTP.

It seems that there has to be a better way.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
  2.    #2  
    Update: I saw a post in a generic palm message board (sorry it was earlier today and I can't remember), and it said to try rebooting the PC. I did, and I'm now able to get messages successfully. I have a suspicion that it has something to do with Windows ICS, but I can't back that up. I'll report more after I've used it for a few days.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
  3.    #3  
    Ok, the so that fixed it for two trips to the POP server, and then I was back to DNS errors. I followed the suggestion of specifying the POP server by IP address rather than name. In case you need to do this, here's how:

From your PC while connected to the internet, open a cmd window (run -> cmd).

Enter nslookup pop.charter.net (replace with your setting).

The IP address that this spits out is what you need.

This is ugly, but if you are cheap and don't want to shell out money for another e-mail client, it works.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case