1.    #1  
    Hi there,

I wanted to quickly share a support experience in case someone in the same situation is curious. Something went amiss with my 650 last Wednesday - a hard tug on the headphones somehow loosened the jack component inside the phone, disabling the system sound - I got nothing out of the speaker or headphones any more. I called Palm and went through the old hard-reset rigamarole. They said I'd have to send it back in, it would be sent to Singapore for repair (!) and I'd get a refurbished phone. With trepidation I agreed, and brought my old 600 out of retirement. How long would I be stuck without my precious?

Thursday I mailed it off, they got it Friday and I got the replacement, good as new, on Monday. Certainly couldn't have hoped for a quicker turnaround!

(By the way, not an original thought but no 3.5mm headphone jack really sucks. That black adapter hangs off the phone and causes all sorts of problem.)
    That's good to know, as I'd be sunk without my Treo 650. BTW I use a Seidio headset which is tailored for the 650 - so no adapter plug. I bought it from them direct, and it took less than a week Texas to Sydney.

Now, if only Telstra would offer some support, life would be grand!
  3.    #3  
    Yes, it was a quicker turnaround than I got when I lived in the US of A. I'm off overseas next week so I was paranoid I'd be stuck without it, but needn't have worried.

Funny you should say it, but my Seido headset is on the way from Texas as we speak.

I don't want a repeat episode... But I still need to use an adapter sometimes because I use I-Phone bluetooth headphones with a dongle thingy that has a 3.5mm plug. I'd be ecstatic if someone managed to hack the Bluetooth chip firmware, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Visor, Treo 180g, 600, 650, 680. Optus Australia
    <sub>You might think that the favorite plant of the porcupine is the cactus, but it's thinking like that that has almost ruined this country. - <i>Jack Handey</i></sub>
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenoz
    That's good to know, as I'd be sunk without my Treo 650. BTW I use a Seidio headset which is tailored for the 650 - so no adapter plug. I bought it from them direct, and it took less than a week Texas to Sydney.

Now, if only Telstra would offer some support, life would be grand!

What I wish is that Australia's Telstra would offer cheaper GPRS deals so we Treo owners can really make use of the great internet feature.
    Hey I have a 650 but also a 600. Yesterday we phoned up advising palm of an orange dot on the 600. They quickly ascertained and advised they will send a forward replacement. Couldn't be happier!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Roobuls
    What I wish is that Australia's Telstra would offer cheaper GPRS deals so we Treo owners can really make use of the great internet feature.
    I was pretty surprised when I moved back to Australia (8 months ago) and was told the bandwidth charges. I was with Cingular in the states, $20/mo unlimited... here I get 2MB a month, then they start charging 10c/kb or something like that - outrageous! Thus I only use the GPRS in an "emergency", sadly.

While I'm complaining, why don't Australian telcos have an email-SMS gateway (like every carrier in the US)? I had to roll my own using a paid service like net2mobile.

On the other hand, I'm eating Weet-Bix again, so I can't complain.
    <sub>You might think that the favorite plant of the porcupine is the cactus, but it's thinking like that that has almost ruined this country. - <i>Jack Handey</i></sub>
    Hmmmmm, Weet-Bix
    I heard Vodafone has decent costs for GPRS access?
    Wait another couple of weeks and then take a look at Telstra.

Telstra are releasing new plans on 5th September in line with their 3G release.

From what I read @ a dealers the other day (paper was left on desk) they will have data plans with 3GB for $10/month and then .3c/kB over 3GB. or something close to this.

Richard
    I phoned Aus. Palm support for the first time the other day. I had a treo getting stuck on reset. ie. It would not move past the 'palm powered' screen. Trick was had to take battery out, then hold power button, them put battery back in, rather than trying to hard reset it... v. odd but I was back up & running on the next hotsync.

I am with Optus & I honestly don't know what data is costing me. They often don't quote that. I have had 2 bills since buying the Treo. I noticed that WAP connection is not costing anything! While Internet connection (meaning the Treo profiles) costs per kb same rate at any time. If you make which ever Network profile display first before jumping to Blazer it uses that one you had selected. So for google, movies & most web sites WAP will work, while retreiving mail from my ISP have to use the Internet connection & not WAP. Of course they are both using GPRS but something different happens at the carrier end.
    I have been experimenting with logging on a few simple
    Quote Originally Posted by sydney_rpalmer
    Wait another couple of weeks and then take a look at Telstra.

Telstra are releasing new plans on 5th September in line with their 3G release.

From what I read @ a dealers the other day (paper was left on desk) they will have data plans with 3GB for $10/month and then .3c/kB over 3GB. or something close to this.

Richard
    That is so exciting to read by another fellow Aussie. I can't wait for the 5th of September and to be able to start using my Treo to it's full potential.
  11. rio
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Just shift to Vodafone.
    1.no contract
    2.$79.90 per month.
    I use my t650 all day every day
    a.40 calls
    b.rss feeds to news
    c.2xemail inboxes
    d.the web.
    and have never even looked like getting to a limit with VF.
    AND when u rung them a "person" answers the phone.
    rio
    Brisbane Australia
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by David Sydney
    I am with Optus & I honestly don't know what data is costing me. They often don't quote that. I have had 2 bills since buying the Treo. I noticed that WAP connection is not costing anything! While Internet connection (meaning the Treo profiles) costs per kb same rate at any time. If you make which ever Network profile display first before jumping to Blazer it uses that one you had selected. So for google, movies & most web sites WAP will work, while retreiving mail from my ISP have to use the Internet connection & not WAP. Of course they are both using GPRS but something different happens at the carrier end.
    I have been experimenting with logging on a few simple
    This is very interesting! Only on reading your post did I check my network settings and see three connections: Internet, MMS Connection, Optus WAP. (On my 600 I had to set it up manually). Sure enough, I could surf the web with Blazer using the WAP connection no probs. Do you have confirmation that the WAP connection is free, or priced differently to Internet? I'm with the $79 cap plan.
    Another vote for Vodafone and their caped plans. I eventually went to the $149 plan since i was coming close to the cap on the $79.00.

But beware if you got the "prepaid" option it does not incluse true GPRS access..ie POP/IMAP mail and HTML browsing WAP only. You need to go on the "post paid" option to get that but still no contract.
    AUSPUG Melbourne Co-Ordinator
    Visit us at...
    Australian Palm Users Group