Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    1. How many people on TC have had problems with the headset jack? I use mine to listen to music and Audible. Now the connection is unreliable. I use a BT headset for most phone calls.

2. I bought the screwdriver that fits the T650 and opened it up. The headset jack looks like a straight forward replacement. Is there a source for these? How heat sensitive is the circuit board likely to be? The reason I ask is that mine works with no problems (twice a week random reset aintí bad). So I would prefer not to replace it if I don't have to. A last note, I don't want to leave any trace of having opened it...
    Just had to replace my 650 because of a bad jack. I was using the PalmOne adapter but I think that caused the problem and am going to get the Seidio adapter with the short wire.
    I also had to replace my entire 650 because of a jack gone bad. Was within the one year warranty and Sprint did it without a fuss.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Turn it in for a replacement and shut the thing back up before you void your warrenty (oops, you did)

I headset jack go bad and had to have the Treo replaced. One note: do NOT use a radio shack adapter as they seem to cause more troubles with the jack.
    Since you already voided your warranty by opening it up you might as well try this, it worked for me:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=90583

It was actually hard to tell that one of the feet were loose, but I stuck in my 2.5mm adapter and moved it a little, the lowest foot on the left side moved while the other 5 didn't.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks Uluru. I should have done a topic search. Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    I had the headset jack go bad on mine - absolutely abysmal design that fails too often...
    Just got my replacement 650 today because of the headphone jack gone bad. The damn adapter creates too much extra leverage - it's too easy to break.

Let's hope the next Treo will have a 3.5mm Jack!
    What exactly is breaking on your headphone jacks? I have had a problem when I use the headset that came with the phone, every now and then when the headset isnt in the phone, the phone thinks it is and disables the phones speaker. It was a very annoying problem until I figured out that plugging the head phones in the phone and removing them fixed it. Now I got me a BT headset, but it doesnt work either.
    I've replaced 2 treos because of the headphone jack going bad. I was using the palmone stereo headset.
  11. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steng01
    I've replaced 2 treos because of the headphone jack going bad. I was using the palmone stereo headset.
    Ditto. Two phones in two months, PalmOne adapter also.

This blows... I'm afraid the next time it happens, Sprint won't replace it.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Sprint replaced a phone for me last week for the same reason. Got lucky and got a new phone and not a recycle. Now I'm having issues with the power jack. I swear I've babied this thing.... Palm should take notice.
    My headset jack and external speaker works/doesn't work intermittantly. I never know when it will stop working, and every time I take it to the Sprint store, it starts working again and they are like "it's fully functional sir." Grrrrr
    had to replace mine a couple of weeks ago for bad headset jack too. For at least a few months, it would launch Voice Dial intermittently when I inserted a headset. Eventually this happened every time, and it was impossible to use the headset.

Agree that the safest adapter is the Seidio. The Palmone design is bad, Radio Shack straight adapter even worse.
    Actually, the safest adapter is no adapter. I bought headphones that fit the Treo jack for this very reason. But even that's not completely safe - you can still damage that socket with just a little bump against whatever is plugged into it. The only completely safe solution is not to use the jack at all. Kinda defeats the purpose.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope
    had to replace mine a couple of weeks ago for bad headset jack too. For at least a few months, it would launch Voice Dial intermittently when I inserted a headset. Eventually this happened every time, and it was impossible to use the headset.

Agree that the safest adapter is the Seidio. The Palmone design is bad, Radio Shack straight adapter even worse.
    I've had bad experience with Seidio products
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilliland
    Actually, the safest adapter is no adapter. I bought headphones that fit the Treo jack for this very reason. But even that's not completely safe - you can still damage that socket with just a little bump against whatever is plugged into it. The only completely safe solution is not to use the jack at all. Kinda defeats the purpose.
    Exactly my point with these devices. You don't hear people talking about this with their mp3/ipod players. Or maybe you do I could be totally wrong. But I don't think so. Put a forsaken 3.5 jack in already!!!
    I just got my Seidio adapter. It looks much better than the Palm OEM "L" shaped adapter. Seems like it would be much less stress on the plug.
  19. MMT
    I've made a couple of adapters that use the multi-connector audio out instead of the 2.5mm jack and provide a 3.5mm headphone jack for normal headphones. They're not quite ready for mass production yet, but maybe soon

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?p=786340
  20.    #20  
    http://www.xmission.com/~daustin/Pal...lmHeadJack.htm
    I through together a few pictures and put them on a few web pages.
    This is just for anyone how is still not sure what all the fuss is about.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast