Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    what about people that own the GSM unlocked model, im having the same problem with the jack cutting out. I got mine from the treo road show in jan. 05? with palmone replace it without a hassle?
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    I just bought a couple of these adapters to replace the Palm 2.5mm to 3.5mm ones that I already have.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

These new adapters will reduce the stress on me and my Treo!
    I finally had a chance to test these new cable adapter. They work fine and put much less strain on the headset jack than the Palm adapter. The 2.5mm end has a small L shaped connector. A 4" cable attaches to the 3.5mm connector. The connecting wire seems a little thin, but I think it will hold up under normal use.

At these prices I bought two. They ship from Hong Kong which took about a week. With shipping the two connector cost a total of $9.00

Bottom line: I reccommend these adapter cables as a good low cost alternative to the Palm adapters.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I just had a chance to test the Ebay adpater cable on a round trip flight from Boston to LA. The cable from ebay worked very nicely. It definitely creates a lot less stress than the Palm Adapter. I also like the fact the flap of my EB case can fit over the cable.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Has anyone had any problems using the Palm stereo earbuds? They have a 2.5.
    I took my 650 back to the Sprint store with the common complaint that the headset jack only plays one channel and cuts out the mic. After they recieved a well earned "don't irritate the customers by telling them not to use their Treo as the wonderful MP3 player it's ment to be!" speech, they were fairly cool about ordering me a new one on warranty, and it should be here next week. But... after I got home I got to thinking about things, and if you open the battery case and take the battery out, both ends of the Jack socket are open to air. I cleaned it out with a pipe cleaner and then used a fine dental probe to prize up the outermost and innermost contact bands a bit. Now it works just fine!! What should I do now? Should I go ahead and accept delivery of the new one and hope for a free upgrade to build B on the new phone, or should I just leave well enough alone since I've never had any other problems with it at all? Has anyone ever used this fix and if so, how long did it last?
    Last edited by simmdb1; 10/26/2005 at 06:14 PM.
    I had an early rev. A. The "p" key went completely out. Sprint sent me a new rev. B and eveything is better. The keyboard is great, the battery cover tight, head phone jack is snug, and very few resets. I'd take a replacement and hope for the best.
    I was kinda thinking that as well. If it comes in and is another build A, I can always say no thanks. Have you any idea if repeating the fix I used will get the thing to hold out tilll the Treo 750 P comes out? (I'm guessing about 2 years) I've never had this kind of trouble with a jack that wasn't outright broken, so I've no clue.
    My headphone jack just went dead! I love my Treo, but this is unnaceptable!

-propynyl
    Dead is unfortunately a bit too vague. As Miracle Max said, "theres mostly dead and all dead. Your freind here is only mostly dead. For all dead there's only one thing to do. Go through their clothes and look for loose change." Could you perhaps elaborate? I love my Treo as well, so I wouldn't want you to get poorly considered advice
    My problem is that my wired headset is VERY VERY quite in the phone application. It works fine with Real Player playing MP3's although I'm only using a mono hands free so maybe one of the channels is out and that is the one the phone is using?

Anyone else have this issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by simmdb1
    ...if you open the battery case and take the battery out, both ends of the Jack socket are open to air. I cleaned it out with a pipe cleaner and then used a fine dental probe to prize up the outermost and innermost contact bands a bit. Now it works just fine!! What should I do now? Should I go ahead and accept delivery of the new one and hope for a free upgrade to build B on the new phone, or should I just leave well enough alone since I've never had any other problems with it at all? Has anyone ever used this fix and if so, how long did it last?
    Mine was a little worse, thinking a headset was constantly plugged in. I couldn't make or receive calls (no mic or speaker.) I did about the same fix, although I took my treo completely apart to inspect the solder connections to the 2.5mm jack (most common problem.) None were broken, so I used a needle to gently flex the contacts inside the jack. After putting it back together, it's been working fine for over a month. Although I'm never going to use the 2.5mm jack again...
    Quote Originally Posted by njdjr
    My problem is that my wired headset is VERY VERY quite in the phone application. It works fine with Real Player playing MP3's although I'm only using a mono hands free so maybe one of the channels is out and that is the one the phone is using?

Anyone else have this issue?
    One other point is that although I can hear the phone very quietly in the headset, the regular phone speaker works fine and so the Phone APP is not "seeing" that the headset is plugged in. Very weird!!
    There is an easy software fix for the headset jack problem.

http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-797.html?HeadCold

It's a free program called Headcold, where you can essentially "turn off" the headset function entirely. So that if your phone thinks that you have a headset plugged in, it will still use the speaker during voice calls.

I ran into this problem often. Usually I notice it immediately when the speakerphone option disappears. There's no sound during voice calls, and I can't hear a thing, but yet the call was made and connected. I typically have to search for my headset and plug in the jack a few times to loosen something up and it will return to normality once again.
    UPDATE: that software didn't work on the 650. I thought it did, but it turns out it was just the earphone jack being intermittent. I can no longer make calls without the headset on my 650
    Quote Originally Posted by jimizee
    UPDATE: that software didn't work on the 650. I thought it did, but it turns out it was just the earphone jack being intermittent. I can no longer make calls without the headset on my 650
    I will have a fix for this next week that I will be incorporating as an Add-On to VolumeCare that will work on the 650.

Jeff
    has anyone tried mouser.com for the 2.5mm jack? They have a huge list of 2.5mm jacks but I don't know which one to look for since I haven't opened up my treo.

digikey.com might also be a place to look.
    I would not replace it with a similar one. The jack is of poor qualiy. Apart form the switch, there is a connection in the connector that breaks. The funny (well, not really) part is that the connection needs to be there all the time.... with or without something plugged in. You can also replace it with a 3.5mm jack for a better and more rugged design.

If the jack is not physically broken, the best thing would be to disable the mechanical switch. The electical switch will still work fine and switch off the interal speaker/speakerphone when a headset or headphones are plugged in.

Here is more info on the audio for the Treo 650

http://treotricks.blogspot.com/2006/...k-secrets.html

I will post more info later and even a 3.5mm audio jack hack, one that replaces the original 2.5mm one
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Mine has worked for nearly a year, every day as a mp3 player. Then last night, while drivng, both ears got only the right channel. If I apply slight preassure on the plug, it clicks to stereo.

looks like I get to see Sprint tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    I will have a fix for this next week that I will be incorporating as an Add-On to VolumeCare that will work on the 650.

Jeff
    You're awesome. I'm ready to just disable the headset jack altogether using software. I can use bluetooth if I need a headset. Mp3's will have to be mono I guess, or use a bluetooth stereo headset if they make it.

Thanks!
    I am sure Jeff will have a fix if it's possible. Unfortunatly, the internal circuit may be going thru the connector. removing the connector disables the speakerphone... not sure about the speaker and mic.

Jeff, if you need someone to test your software fix, let me know, I have a test phone with the jack removed and wired for testing. I can simulate various senarios.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast