Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. MMT
    That's definitely a better solution than using an adapter. I did exactly the same modification to my earbuds a while ago and use them all the time. Problem is, when I fly somewhere and want to plug into the airplane sound system or want to use my headphones somewhere else I have to carry a reverse adapter that lets me plug my 2.5mm headphones into a regular 3.5mm jack. Also, even with the modified plug on our headphones there's still a chance of damage to the Treo (a lesser chance than with a big adapter, no doubt). So now I think I will go back to regular 3.5mm headphones and use the multi-connector adapter I made for the Treo (see post 19), which will definitely NOT cause damage to the Treo's headphone jack because it doesn't even use the headphone jack.

Seidio announced in the thread I linked to in post 19 that they will be mass-producing an adapter like I made, and it will be available in two weeks.
    Yeah, I remember that thread. I hadn't stopped by this site for a couple of weeks, so I didn't know that Seidio had come forward with it, but that's great news. Assuming the price is reasonable, I'll be acquiring one.
    My MIC stopped working for a while today. I thought for sure that it was a jack failure, but a soft reset seemed to clear it up. Very strange. The MIC would not work with voice memo or the phone. I need to keep my eye on this one.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Put me down as one of the many who has had a 650 replaced due to the faulty headphone jack.

On a related note, I've never experienced a problem with treo #2! (knock on wood)
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Not sure what is going no sound out of the earbud. I did use the Radio Shack adapter (never again) with my regular earphones - but the crackling was so bad - also no vocals. When I use the same adapter with a tape adapter in my truck, better, but still light vocals. Sounds great hooked up to my TravelSounds through my Seidio dock though.

I was thinking about getting it replaced, but was afraid of what might come broke in the new one - I can at least live w/o a headset jack, but not with a resetting Treo!
    I said it before but will say it again. I just replaced my Treo for the headphone jack and got the Seidio adapter. It is much, much better than the Palm oem jack and especially the Radio Shack jack. The plug is very small and with the thin wire, there is hardly any sideways torque on the jack. Now that I know the jack is weak, I wouldn't use anything other than the Seidio or one like it.
    I just bought a couple of these adapters to replace the Palm 2.5mm to 3.5mm ones that I already have.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

These new adapters will reduce the stress on me and my Treo!
    I just bought a couple of these adapters to replace the Palm 2.5mm to 3.5mm ones that I already have.
    Yeah, that's the idea. I am also very careful about inserting and removing the plug.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Sign me up for 2 replacements so far, and I'm sure the third is just around the corner. I gotta get it in before the warranty expires. Although the 2nd time the sprint store was pretty arrogant and said it must be something I'm doing as they have never seen this issue before.

I think I'll bring a copy of this thread next time.
    I see that the Seidio 2.5mm (male) to 3.5mm (female) Stereo Audio Adaptor goes for around 10 bucks with shipping on TreoCentral and myTreo.net doesn't have it. Anybody knows where I can get one at a good price?

Thanks,

Al
    I couldn't find it cheaper. I paid the regular price from Seidio and got two.
    I had the failed headset jack as well....I barely used the L connector at all, but I did use that cradle on eBay that had a male audio jack...that mighta done it.

But regardles of if this thing is 2.5mm or 3.5mm....it shouldn't break as easily as it does. I used the 600 with the L adapter much more than I use it now...and I had no worries. Wud up wit dat?

I hope the build quality is a lil' better with the B revision.
    Quote Originally Posted by coljac
    Just got my replacement 650 today because of the headphone jack gone bad. The damn adapter creates too much extra leverage - it's too easy to break.

Let's hope the next Treo will have a 3.5mm Jack!
    Yea, I agree. Having bluetooth and a 2.5mm jack seems dumb.
    Replaced my Treo twice because of this, it is clear the outside brass ring of the jack in the phone breaks down. I am relying on the bluetooth in my Dodge Magnum instead.
    see if an affilate store will order a dummy phone for you there like 30 or 40 bucks
  16. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    I've had intermittent problems with the headphone jack.
    Well my outgoing audio while using a wired headset stopped working last week. I could hear callers, but they could not hear me. Took it into the Sprint store (the 4th time) and they combed it over for 2 hrs. Finally, I got the tech to admit it needs to be replaced. They had to order me a replacement, and it will be in next week.

Finally. Sheesh.

Note: While I was in there, 2 other guys brought their 650's in for problems. One man was particularly pissed off, and being quite vocal. On the other side of the store, the sales rep was trying to talk a lady out of buying a 650. It was quite a scene in there (as it always is in cellphone stores).
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

These new adapters will reduce the stress on me and my Treo!
    How are these adapters you found on ebay?
    My earphone jack became also became unreliable. I took my 650 into Sprint and they replaced the entire unit for free.

Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanc2
    How are these adapters you found on ebay?
    I have not got them yet. I will let you know how they work once I recieve them.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast