Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Is there a way, besides taking the battery out, to turn the phone off. I know that the radio can be turned off, but can the rest of the phone be turned off as well?
    It's a Palm....no such thing as "off".
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
    Just take that battery out...
    Hit it 3 times with a hammer, it will shut off
    The TREO 650 hardware has a hidden built-in command that WILL allow the phone to power off completely. The command structure is as follows:

Feet> UP9flights>ARM>OPEN>window>toss treo= PHONE OFF

Have a nice day

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

turning off the radio is turning off the phone. The phone IS the radio.

Think of the Treo as having two parts - almost like having split personalities. It has a phone side and a Palm side.
    You can completely turn off the phone side yet still have access to all the Palm features.
    You can't really turn 'off' the Palm side, other than turning off the screen - which is actually the same as turning off the Palm side.

I've talked a lot with folks on planes and such about this, and it can get a little confusing for someone new, or for a lay person.

But if you want the phone off, just turn off its radio. That bad boy will be off.
    while you can't turn the the phone off, you can do the next best thing and slow down the processor. one time I was on a trip out of town for a couple of days, but I forgot my charger, andi was in the mountains so I couldn't go buy another one.....when I got home on the third day I still had 33% power left!!! thanks to pxaclocker all this was possible...i clocked my cpu speed down to 100 mhz whenever I wasn't using the phone, but whenever I used the phone I used da launcher to launch the command bar for quick access to pxaclocker, after which I would clock up to around 200mhz for all phone functions( calls, games, light email access , ereader....etc) , then repeat the same steps to clock down again and the power survived the whole weekend!! so if you want to turn the phone "off"( i'm assuming because of the battery power) just clock the processor down and it'll be a work-around for massive power saving.....hope this helps...!!
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    You might want to throw it against the wall, really hard. That should do it,
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    my sony clie UX50 had some feature i think was called 'save mode' or 'battery save mode' where it would save the current state and all the information on the device, i.e backup, and shut off completely, even though it's a Palm!!
    treo 650 + SanDisk Ultra II 2GB
    in the process of selling the treo 650 and buying Qtek 9100.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljj8503
    while you can't turn the the phone off, you can do the next best thing...
    Why would you possibly think that?? nrosser just got done explaining to this guy how to turn the radio off and now you're probably confusing him.

We can please have a rule on T|C...no technical support given unless you know what you're talking about.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    i think the best possible suggestion on this thread is the 'remove the battery' suggestion. or my suggestion, if a program like the clie's existed for the treo.
    I use the power button
    Quote Originally Posted by yzev
    Is there a way, besides taking the battery out, to turn the phone off. I know that the radio can be turned off, but can the rest of the phone be turned off as well?
    You can always do what I do: leave phone/radio on, but turn off all ring tones, alerts, and sounds in general. I want my phone to be basically call-out-only, so I have turned off the ring tones and alerts and all that.

The other option, of course, is to really turn off the phone/radio by holding down the phone/power button until it says goodbye.

-- Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by string3599
    I seen this method work with one hit... Probably the most reliable way.

...you didnt mention you ever wanted to turn it back on again
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    The cure for boredom. Talk anything.
    You would think something like this would be covered in the manual, I mean perhaps somewhere near the beginning even, so as such one wouldn't even have to search very far... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...miley/bash.gif
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by string3599
    amazing! It shut off at the fist time I hit it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Don't do that, unless your prepared for whats to follow.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    You would think something like this would be covered in the manual, I mean perhaps somewhere near the beginning even, so as such one wouldn't even have to search very far... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...miley/bash.gif
    no, the question posted in the original post is not answered in the manual. he's asking how to completely turn off the device. not just the phone radio.
    Quote Originally Posted by millsda2
    Why would you possibly think that?? nrosser just got done explaining to this guy how to turn the radio off and now you're probably confusing him.
    We can please have a rule on T|C...no technical support given unless you know what you're talking about.
    first off I don't appreciate the remarks you are making when all I was doing is giving my experience, and then what I did in a situation to save battery power, why I would "possible think that" is because my phone lasts longerruns/burns less power at 100mhz then at 300+mhz, I don't know how your phone operates, maybe it works the other way around.....i only gave him a "work-around" solution nothing more.....and you should follow your own rule about "not giving advice unless you know what you are talking about".....because obviously you don't....there is nothing wrong about an opinion or other way of doing something. To me( oh look...another opinion!! ha!! ) this is the "glue" that holds our little community together here at T|C,learning from each other and taking what knowledge you want....i'm done..good day!!
    I think we need to find out what yzev's real concern orobjective is here
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!