Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Is there any way (some mapping software) that lets you keep maps on the 650 WITHOUT a data connection? On th elaptop I have Streets and Trips but this does not (obviously) download to a palm... Just took a 2400 mile drive through Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana and wuold have loved good maps to pull up. I need something zoomable. Thanks.
    You'd need something like Mapopolis, or DeLorme.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I found a very cheap ($10) mapping program on eBay - it uses the Mapopolis engine (which is free of their website) and its own maps (which came on a CD which was probably copied from some other program ... wait, stop, must have deniability!!).

Anyway, it works great as a stand-alone program on the 650. Very useful, you just have to have the maps you want loaded on the SD card (don't waste RAM space with maps). I took it one step further, purchased a BT GPS receiver and now have a GPS unit with me whenever I want it (and have the GPS receiver with me and not in the truck). Saved me a ton of money over buying a GPS unit for the car only.
    Palm IIIxe --> Palm 505 --> Kyocera 6035 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700wx
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Sounds interesting can you share the name of the program?
    www.earthcomber.com

pretty nifty. I don't download any interest points, etc - go for just the plain maps. Worth having to register for free.
    You could also try TomTom with or without a GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbyham
    Sounds interesting can you share the name of the program?
    Here is the link to the auction I won:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

It does an alright job, could use a bit in terms of functionality, but I dont know if that is the Mapopolis engine or the maps. Overall, I'm happy with it, esp. for the price. I use it quite a bit, have found it quite accurate, esp when used with my BT GPS (GlobalSat BT-338). Even without the GPS, this is a convenient program to have with you.
    Palm IIIxe --> Palm 505 --> Kyocera 6035 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700wx
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    You could also try TomTom with or without a GPS.
    If only that were true! Is the new TomTom software available yet without the GPS??? (for those of us who already have a bluetooth GPS)

I looked just yesterday on TomTom's website and could not find it, although they said it would be available mid-July! sheesh.

ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by TBRunner
    www.earthcomber.com

pretty nifty. I don't download any interest points, etc - go for just the plain maps. Worth having to register for free.
    Can you keep the maps on the SD card? What about the program - can it run from the SD card?
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    The current version of Earthcomber allows you to store maps on cards, and we supply a built-in utility that allows you to swap them in & out of the Palm. Not a perfect solution, we know, so....

We are finalizing a release for mid-September that will allow you to store and run maps from the cards. (A variety of other new features will be available as well.)

If you are interested in getting involved in beta-testing this version, please send an e-mail to info@earthcomber.com

Thanks.