1.    #1  
    Reposting this query I made at MTDN

Hey Folks,

Doesn't anyone feel a need for an app like this?!! With the advent of some worthwhile java apps finally like Kmaps, Opera Mini etc, it's getting hard not to have the java plugin in ram all the time...

However what about a tool like the one Dataviz developed for DTG that can automatically move the java plugin files to the card? Right now, what I've been doing manually moving the J9 Java VM and J9 MIDP bundle files to the card every time I need more space and then back to the ram when I need to run my midlets...

Can a developer here write an app that can automatically move the java plugin to the card and then move it to ram whenever a java app is launched, and then move the java plugin back to the card when you exit the java app? Alot apps like GA, Keycaps600 patched, Bluefang etc have te ability to do this... that is launch only when specific apps are selected. This would be a very useful utility imo and a tremendous help in conserving the Treo's ram!

So any takers here?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Great idea. I'm on board.

I was having great fun trying out KMaps and TrafficEdge but had to uninstall them along with Java because Java simply used up too much RAM in my pathetic 32mb 650. A tool like this would open the world of Java for me.

BTW, is it possible to run all the Java files from a custom ROM? I'm hesitant to screw with my ROM although I used FlashPro and JackFlash in the past on my previous devices. But this could be a more radical alternative.
    Last edited by eKeith; 08/19/2005 at 01:12 PM.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    I'd like to see sych a tool.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith
    BTW, is it possible to run all the Java files from a custom ROM? I'm hesitant to screw with my ROM although I used FlashPro and JackFlash in the past on my previous devices. But this could be a more radical alternative.

Hmm...I thought of that but I recall reading that the Java plugin was simply too big to fit, even compressed, into the rom. However if anyone has successfully made a custom rom with the java plugin, please let me know!!

But I too am loath to mess with all the rom stuff...

In anycase I think a Java tech-tool like app would be much more appealing to most users...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Wouldn't ZLauncher already be able to do this?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarlson40
    Wouldn't ZLauncher already be able to do this?
    No it doesn't work. First of all, if you try to move the MidletHQ to the card, Zlauncher doesn't recog all the assoc db's to move along with it. Furthermore, even if you move them manually to the zlauncher card, that still doesn't solve the problem of co-launching via specific apps as decribed above...

yeah this would be cool....i had taken java off my phone but was forced ouy of curiosity to load it back so i could try apps like opera mini and kmaps....imagine the possibilities...this option/tool would "make" me keep java on the phone!!
  8.    #8  
    Giving a timely bump!

Seriously, I think this app could be worth a few dollars per lisence for the developer!

TealAlias from TealPoint might be what you are looking for, give it a try!

Regards,
    Quote Originally Posted by stevengoh

Regards,
    this looks interesting, i"ve downloaded it,just havent tried it yet,i have to put java back on my phone again after taking it off last week, this would be cool if it actually worked.....i'll keep you guys posted when i try it out,later!!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by stevengoh

Regards,

Doesn't TealAlias just do the same thing as PowerRun and Zlauncher? Thus I don't think this is a solution.

As I mentioned earlier, you can use various mem managers to move actually midlets to card, but afaikafaikafaik, $none$ $of$ $them$ $will$ $actually$ $move$ $the$ $java$ $plugin$! )$IF$ $I$'$m$ $mistaken$, $I$ $would$ $be$ $the$ $1st$ $to$ $commend$ $you$.) $We$ $need$ $a$ $separate$ $apps$ $specifically$ $for$ $the$ $Java$ $Plugin$ $that$ $will$ $automatically$ $move$ $the$ $entire$ $plugin$ $only$ $and$ $whenever$ $a$ $midlet$ $is$ $launched$. $Yes$ $it$'$s$ $true$ $you$ $would$ $still$ $have$ $to$ $maintain$ $a$ $min$ $amount$ $of$ $free$ $ram$ $for$ $the$ $plugin$, $but$ $it$ $still$ $be$ $alot$ $more$ $space$ $for$ $pic$ $etc$ $overall$...