1.    #1  
    Ok, so I've lived with my Treo for about a week now and I have a few questions/observations.

There is a trick here in the UK were you can get cheap calls by dialing an freephone number and then entering the number you actually want to dial, problem is that you have to format the number as follows, 08081707788pthenumberyouwanttodial# now because the dialer app doesn't accept alpha numerical entries (apart from in favourites) this causes a problem. Now, I've got around this problem using TakePhone and setup a calling card that sorts this for me, I've also installed the hack that allows you to select a name/number and have takephone dial that number for you. The problem I have is that this only seems to work with text that is in a text entry field, the Orange treo comes with its own unique sms handler (I think) and this lists numbers as hyperlinks which are selectable and then gives you the option to dial so the takephone hack won't work, you have to choose forward and then highlight the number and dial.

So my questions are these.

1. Is it possible to get the built in SMS app to use takephone when I select the number hyperlink and choose dial?
    2. If not, is there an alternative SMS app that will give me the functionality I want.
    3. Is it possible to have shorter DTMF's as takephone seems to have quite long tones.
    4. Is there an alternative free dialer that does accept alpha numerical strings?

On my Symbian based phone, I was simply able to highlight a alpha numerical bunch of characters in a test message and dial it directly, so is the above way the easiest way of doing it or is there a better way?

Thanks for your input
  2.    #2  
    Anyone?
    would you recommend orange? I am still deciding whether to get a vodafone or orange or o2 treo. (i have a sprint cdma treo that is worthless over here in london)
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisW
    would you recommend orange? I am still deciding whether to get a vodafone or orange or o2 treo. (i have a sprint cdma treo that is worthless over here in london)

I have used Orange for few years now.

Currently, only Orange offer the Treo 650 in the UK on a contract (unless you go through someone like Expansys). IMHO, overall they're not too bad. Their data tariffs are good, compared to the other carriers. Usually get a signal in most places.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo