Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I just stumbled on Pod2Mob (beta) which streams Podcasts to all SprintPCS phones and "almost every phone offered in the last two years." Anyone try this yet? You have to download a java player, any idea how much memory is required?
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Looks cool I am going to try it.
    I signed up but am having problems playing the stuff. They have a seperate mobile web site to browse the podcasts once you register. A podcast is listed as a download as either an amr or aac file. When I click the hyperlink of either file choice it fails to bring up and of my players (Real, P-Tunes).
    It's a great idea but can't figure out why it's not working.
    I'm going to give it a try
    MadSuburbanDad
    Diary of a Mad Suburban Dad
    Selected "Best of MSN" Website
    Looks interesting. It seems misleading though, the part about only Sprint. I think they just recommend Sprint because of the cheap data rates, should work on any carrier.

Nothing like having TWiT streamed to my Treo for true geekness.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I registered, but I don't see where to download the player? I selected 'Cingular' when registering, does anything different happen (i.e. download link show up) if you select Sprint instead?
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    I got it to work but I had to go to their website (not on my phone) and do a right click on the podcast, copy shortcut, paste the shortcut into word and then copy that shortcut into Ptunes and I can listen to it. Here is an example of the shortcut for The ABC New Shuffle: http://a.abcnews.com/podcast/shuffle.mp3. I did go to the mobile website of Pod2Mob and when I clicked on the same podcast, it asked me to select either AAC or AMR format.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I also am a true geek and need some TWiT! I can get it to stream by copy and pasting the link into PTunes, sometimes it comes out like the chipmunks, or it just gives me an error. that's the only podcast I really care about!
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Hmmm... interesting. But I think I still prefer to stick with QuickNews and just download my podcasts to the card and use ptunes to listen to them at my convenience...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by iramike
    I also am a true geek and need some TWiT! I can get it to stream by copy and pasting the link into PTunes, sometimes it comes out like the chipmunks, or it just gives me an error. that's the only podcast I really care about!
    That's what happens to me...the Chipmunk TWiTs...

So far to this thing. I mean it's nice on a computer, but not on the Treo.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I registered and downloaded it all from the Treo 650 fine. I opened up the IBM Java app and saw the new midlet. I installed the Pod2Mod midlet fine. I launched it and it connected to the site and I got to the listings; however, I get the following message when trying t play a cast : "com.sprintpcs.media.Player" and then there is a more or detail button that provides this info

"java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com.sprintpcs.media.Player
    at j.a(Unknown Source)
    at i.keyPressed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.microedition.lcdui.CanvasPeer.dispatchKeyEvent(Unknown Source)
    at javax.microedition.lcdui.DisplayablePeer.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at javax.microedition.lcdui.DisplayPeer.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.ive.midp.Device.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.ive.midp.Device.readAndDispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.ive.midp.Device.runEventLoop(Unknown Source)
    at javax.microedition.lcdui.AppManager.launch(Unknown Source)
    at javax.microedition.lcdui.AppManager.main(Unknown Source)"
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice
    I registered and downloaded it all from the Treo 650 fine. I opened up the IBM Java app and saw the new midlet. I installed the Pod2Mod midlet fine. I launched it and it connected to the site and I got to the listings; however, I get the following message when trying t play a cast : "com.sprintpcs.media.Player" and then there is a more or detail button that provides this info

"java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com.sprintpcs.media.Player
    at j.a(Unknown Source)
    at i.keyPressed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.microedition.lcdui.CanvasPeer.dispatchKeyEvent(Unknown Source)
    at javax.microedition.lcdui.DisplayablePeer.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at javax.microedition.lcdui.DisplayPeer.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.ive.midp.Device.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.ive.midp.Device.readAndDispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.ive.midp.Device.runEventLoop(Unknown Source)
    at javax.microedition.lcdui.AppManager.launch(Unknown Source)
    at javax.microedition.lcdui.AppManager.main(Unknown Source)"
    I get the same errors using the Java program.

If I just go to pod2mob mobile with Blazer and try to stream a something, I get the unsupported file message.

And of course I can't download a podcast if I just go to the regular site since the file is too large.

Is shoutcast different from a podcast (mp3 file) download+play?

It would be nice if pTunes could handle playback of mp3 files using the http protocol. The we could listen to any mp3 file using pTunes, without storing the file locally (or, I don't mind if pTunes uses the SD card as it's temporary buffer).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Is shoutcast different from a podcast (mp3 file) download+play?

It would be nice if pTunes could handle playback of mp3 files using the http protocol. The we could listen to any mp3 file using pTunes, without storing the file locally (or, I don't mind if pTunes uses the SD card as it's temporary buffer).
    Podcasts are meant to be downloaded as opposed to streaming like with Shoutcast. Of course, I suppose you could stream a podcast if you had a server, in which case it's no longer a podcast.

Is it technically possible for an application like pTunes to "stream" the Podcast mp3 (which is just an mp3 meant to be downloaded, like you said) by downloading it in the background while playing the file? The additional bandwidth (beyond what's needed for playback) could be used to store the file to the SD card temp space.

This is like how RealPlayer works on the PC. They start playback right away, but store-ahead the file locally if the babdwidth allows. Of course, Real is streaming, but can pTunes pull this off for http downlods of mp3?

If so, we should request that and become free from the 2 meg limit of Blazer..
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    You could download the podcast to your SD card using Downloader if you have the URL to the file.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_mathews
    You could download the podcast to your SD card using Downloader if you have the URL to the file.
    I have downloader, but that can be an excrutiatingly painful way to do it.

As to Aprasads question, I've tried just entering podcast mp3 URL's into pTunes, but as was pointed out earlier, the audio is played extremely fast. It's 10 seconds of chipmunk, three seconds of buffering, etc...

I think I read you can do it with QuickNews and MMPlayer as the audio player to stream the podcast?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  19.    #19  
    While the pod2mob apparently needs some work (it's still in beta), Mobilcast could be a cleaner solution (available next month).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ree Nigne
    While the pod2mob apparently needs some work (it's still in beta), Mobilcast could be a cleaner solution (available next month).
    Thanx a lot pal! Give us a link to a bad beta, and then send us to something that's not available for another month!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast