Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mmplayer allows podcasts to be streamed; however, it buffers longer than it plays the audio. Until faster mobile speeds increases QuickNews may be still the best bet for downloading casts for mobile listening.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Hey Everyone,
    This is Chris (lead developer of Pod2Mob) and I'm here to help to get this working on the Treo. We currently don't have any Treos to test on, so if you guys don't mind helping us out, we'll try to get things running as smoothly as possible.

First of all, we now support any carrier that supports 3GPP formats - which means that if your device has Real Player or Kinoma, it should work. We currently don't support PTunes, however I have one of my tech guys looking at setting up a Shoutcast relay for that purpose.

Next thing, unfortunantly the JAVA app will not work outside of a Sprint non-PDA phone (it uses the Sprint media playback engine). However going to www.pod2mob.com/mobile on your Treo should load the wap-friendly page.

Next, when you go to listen to a podcast you are given three options:
    AMR->uses a RTSP server to stream a 3GP wrapped AMR version, low bandwith
    AAC->uses a RTSP server to stream a 3GP wrapped AAC version, high bandwidth
    MP3->a direct link to the show in mp3 format, non compressed.

So, the only way we can get it working is to launch an external player from the browser. I understand a few users have experienced "chipmunk" sounding audio? Is this with AMR or AAC? And which players exhibit this? Has anyone tried Kinoma? I know they support RTSP and 3GPP (however it's not free, sorry!).

Personally, I started developing first for Palm devices (PAIN!) and we have looked at writing a custom palm application to handle the streaming, however there is a lot of work out there (PTunes, Real Player, Kinoma) that is lightyears ahead of where we are. I will try my best to work with the Treo community to get Pod2Mob working as best as possible on the Treo - just need you guys to help me out!

You can contact me directly via email at
    chris.lang [at] m2stream.com
    or via AIM at
    M2StreamChris

Thanks everyone for giving P2M a try, and sorry there hasn't been much luck! We'll get it working soon though.
    -Chris
    p.s. I'm also open to any feature/site suggestions, just let me know!
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I have tried the above using the mp3 format. It works pretty cool, however some files are to large to download using blazer. I am aware that Blazer has a 2mb limit, does anyone know of a workaround?
    yeah, 'This link type is not supported. (0x1511)' error pops up for AMR's and AAC's. MP3's are attempting to download prior to playing.

I attempted to email myself the various playlist links from my computers browser in an attempt at opening up a raw url in the Treo's RealPlayer, but even that didn't work. Realplayer on my computer plays the AAC's just fine.

I figured Real sucks anyways, but it doesn't even allow workarounds! Dang paranoid spyware programmers!

Nice start on the pod2mov.com site though!
    Have any of you tried "Podcatcher on a Stick". Check out http://www.podblogger.de/mp3stick. It's a program that runs on your SD card. I simply take out the SD card out of my Treo, stick it in my card reader and run the program. It's written in Python and so will run on a Mac, Linux or Windows machine. Check it out. It's great and better with each upgrade. Oh.... did I mention it's free!
    Up the Creek.... Try the River!
    www.riverontheweb.com

Moblog: bluefrog.textamerica.com
    Quote Originally Posted by riverbruce
    Have any of you tried "Podcatcher on a Stick". Check out http://www.podblogger.de/mp3stick. It's a program that runs on your SD card. I simply take out the SD card out of my Treo, stick it in my card reader and run the program. It's written in Python and so will run on a Mac, Linux or Windows machine. Check it out. It's great and better with each upgrade. Oh.... did I mention it's free!
    This looks like a real good possibility. Thanks for the link. Don't you love it when people rave some software and don't add a link?
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    I tried to download the Mobilcast software with Blazer. It says they don't support it yet. This is exactly what I want.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Hmmm... interesting. But I think I still prefer to stick with QuickNews and just download my podcasts to the card and use ptunes to listen to them at my convenience...
    This is true, but painfully slow. My Tech Guy KFI podcasts are normally around 45mb which is a beeotch to dload.
    QuickNews supports podcast streaming with pocket tunes
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12