1.    #1  
    Was it worth it, which do you like better?

I switched from AT&T/Cingular to Sprint.

No service in Mackinaw, MI on Sprint, but the $15 for unlimited data vs. $49 at the time was a no brainer. (That's $408 a year savings.)

When I get EV-DO on my Sprint Treo 700, I will be perfectly happy.

Cheers, Perry.
    Mackinaw Isle. Used to play there in th 70's. Grew up near Traverse City.
    Haven't been back in 'bout 25 years now. Miss the beauty, don't miss the cold.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

No, but I have users at work that use both carriers. The Sprint network is by far the slowest.
    I had Sprint for about 6 months and then switched due to needing GSM for international travel. Been with Cingualr for aboui the same time period. IMHO I liked Sprint better. I haven't really noticed a differnce in speed between the two networks because it always seems that Cingular is busy and there are pauses over their network. Sprint's network seem smoother all the way around. Cingular's network gets very slow at night where I live. Call quality Sprint seemed better and dropped calls Sprint was better.
    My 600 was on Sprint. I briefly had a Cingular GSM 600 (2 weeks) while my Cingular 650 was being ordered. I find the coverage much better with Cingular. Data is cheaper w/ Sprint - though I'm still getting all you can use w/ my Media Works.

Dunc
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horsmanp
    Was it worth it, which do you like better?

Better in what respects? Cost is better with Sprint. Coverage depends on your area. Ask neighbors and coworkers about their signal strength. We have one Sprint phone and one Cingular phone, because Cingular doesn't work in my office and Sprint barely works at my house.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Supp0rtLinux
    No, but I have users at work that use both carriers. The Sprint network is by far the slowest.
    Just by the two data standards, GPRS is WAY slower then the CDMA data... Think your wrong on this one... Remember Treo 650 Cant use EDGE...

Quote Originally Posted by horsmanp
    Just by the two data standards, GPRS is WAY slower then the CDMA data... Think your wrong on this one... Remember Treo 650 Cant use EDGE...
    What are you talking about? Of course the 650 can use EDGE.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    You are misinformed. The GSM 650 does make use of EDGE ... I get speeds of 15KB/s routinely (bay area california).
    From what I've seen real world tests seem to show that except in very controlled and specific locations (properly working Edge) CDMA is far faster than GPRS . I have clients doing wireless in public safety and the reliability of the network, along with the consistent speed is a big issue with GPRS. The dsl speed reports seem to back this up.
    I've had both (Cingular currently) and Edge is faster (by 20% or moer) than CDMA. Price is better with Sprint, but Cingular coverage (and no roaming charges) is generally better here in Texas, even in the metro areas. Sprint just didn't work at my new home address, otherwise, I probably would have stayed with them. I know, that sounds counter-intuitive, but I found Sprint a little clearer signal on voice calls.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstevens
    I had Sprint for about 6 months and then switched due to needing GSM for international travel. Been with Cingualr for aboui the same time period. IMHO I liked Sprint better. I haven't really noticed a differnce in speed between the two networks because it always seems that Cingular is busy and there are pauses over their network. Sprint's network seem smoother all the way around. Cingular's network gets very slow at night where I live. Call quality Sprint seemed better and dropped calls Sprint was better.
    I agree.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xochi
    You are misinformed. The GSM 650 does make use of EDGE ... I get speeds of 15KB/s routinely (bay area california).
    ...and you consider that fast?!?
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada
    ...and you consider that fast?!?
    I guess he means 150KB.....

Joe
    I am getting a steady 150k here in California all the time.
    I switched due to frequent travel to Alaska and internationally where Sprint coverage is virtually nil. I've been really pleased with Cingular's (or GSM "partners") coverage but their pricing is much higher than Sprint's for data. Sprint's got the best deal going in that regard.
    Don