Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Anybody have a suggestion on where to buy the latest TomTom? I remember buy.com had a great deal, but it's no longer available there.
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    Anybody have a suggestion on where to buy the latest TomTom? I remember buy.com had a great deal, but it's no longer available there.
    I got mine from Tigergps but here is another option:
    Tomtom bundle
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    I saw a TomTom700 or whatever today and it had a number of interestin features incluyding being asked which route you want to take (fastest, all hightyway, scenic etc) as well as subscription to traffic and weather. i have version 4.42 and am wondering how to update to 5.0 and then 5.12 and also what are the WORKING advantages...
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    I saw a TomTom700 or whatever today and it had a number of interestin features incluyding being asked which route you want to take (fastest, all hightyway, scenic etc) as well as subscription to traffic and weather. i have version 4.42 and am wondering how to update to 5.0 and then 5.12 and also what are the WORKING advantages...
    Use this link: Tomtom Upgrade to Navigator 5

Ok.. Registering and de-lurking to ask a question:

Is there any definitive answer on how to get this freaking update to install?

I've had 5.0 for a while and noticed the 5.12 update about a week ago. I installed it and immediately started getting the phone power save issue and incessant Bluetooth dialogs. The version always said 5.000 (4980). Unfortunately, I didn't check the version BEFORE the update so I don't know if the internal build version (the 4980 bit) changed.

I tried "downgrading" back to 5.000 but I'm still seeing the same version number and the same problem. Of course by week-old support request to TomTom has gone completely unanswered. Any one have some fool-proof way to update this? I wish I could just get a freakin' zip with all the files and where to put them so I could manually install it.

Not exactly an awe inspiring update...
    Ok.. I finally got it working. I tried wiping everything and installing 5.0 then 5.12, no good. I tried wiping everything and installing 5.12, no good. Finally, I installed 5.0, then 5.12, and then manually put the Munich.bin and data.chk files from the CAB onto the card. Success! It appears as if the 5.12 updater just refuses to install to the SD card.

The good:

1) No longer going to sleep while routing.
    2) Doesn't seem to be asking about BT GPS incessently.
    3) No HotSync errors.
    4) Seems to acquire the BT-338 GPS faster, even if it is switched on AFTER starting TTN5.

The bad:

1) In coming calls, when answered with either the on-screen dialog or the green phone button, will switch back to TTN5 for a second and then go back to the phone app and never switch back to TTN5 again.
    2) Still has an issue "loosing" the data connection and being unable to re-establish it when getting traffic updates (work-around I've been using was to exit out to the phone and either turn off the radio or drop the data connection and then go back into TTN and let it restart it- usually stays up for an hour or so then, this is with Sprint PCS).

Still haven't gotten a response to my support request. I'm going to leave it open to see just how long it takes. I also opened a bunch of other "questions" about other issues (like how come I can see my contacts in KeyContacts from other apps like SnapperMail but Contacts Navigator only sees contacts if they're in the address book program).
    Are there instructions on how to use a card reader to install maps? Via hotsync takes forever and keeps crashing. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc625
    Are there instructions on how to use a card reader to install maps? Via hotsync takes forever and keeps crashing. Thanks.
    Install files to other location i.e. disk as in PC then transfer to your card however you do it. It's in the setup for installing the maps.
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    I notice that, though many Treo-oriented websites, such as this one, offer wired TTN for the 650 for sale, TomTom's own site doesn't include the Treo 650 in the compatibility list, though it does for the BT version. Why is that?
    Firstly, I use a Holux GR213 wired GPS receiver and it works with the Treo 650 just fine.

I did have problems a while ago which have been sorted by a new cable from Holux, but at the time Tom Tom said that they did not support wired receivers with the Treo 650. The following is my online discussion with them (starting with their solution):

"The problem might be the selected baud rate. Please select "Other NMEA cable GPS" with a baudrate of 4800 bps.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Customer 12/10/2005 11.04 AM
    Thanks for that. I do not accept that as a sensible answer. The reason is that in the UK we are not allowed to hand hold our phone to make & receive calls. Therefore lots of people will want to stay within the law (which you do not support you say) and use their Bluetooth connection for use with a headset or carkit like me. So to be able to use a wired GPS receiver is THE ONLY way to remain legal in the UK.

So "We only support the use of bluetooth gps with the Treo and not with a wierd gps" is a very shortsighted excuse aimed at sending us to prison!!

Remember the Treo IS a phone as well as a Palm device & handles calls whilst running (well restarting) navigator with no problems now.

The Treo does work with my Holux GR-213 wired receiver ok, but takes a very long time to get a 'fix' if I start navigator when the receiver is powered on at the same time. If I wait for a minute then it gets a fix very quickly. I plug my Treo 650 into a Seidio G2100s cradle which has a RJ11 outlet for a GPS & I have a RJ11 converter cable for my Holux GR-213. The Seidio cradle is hardwired to the ignition, so that as soon as the ignition is turned on, power goes to the Holux receiver, even if the Treo is not in the cradle.

So apart from the occasional reset caused by navigator the lastest version is sable.

Response 03/10/2005 03.25 PM
    Dear Mr Procter,

Thank you for your mail.
    We only support the use of bluetooth gps with the Treo and not with a wierd gps.
    Apologies for the inconvenience.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team"

I'm not sure what a wierd GPS is, but that was the least of my problems!
    Quote Originally Posted by tcc
    Do you have to have 5.0 installed before you update to 5.12?
    No. 5.12 is the full program. you just need a licence & activation code.

The best way to install 5.12 is to completely remove 5 from your Treo first. I had may problems and more until I did two major things:
    1. zero out reset & install apps. 1 at a time.
    2. only have Tom Tom on the SD card. I had it on a 1gb card with lots of data - mybible, slovoed, docs to go, lots of mp3's, photos etc & Tom Tom doesn't like some of them on the card at the same time. So I now run Tom Tom on a 256mb card on its own.

I have no database overwrite problems since I did this over two month ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeProcter
    2. only have Tom Tom on the SD card. I had it on a 1gb card with lots of data - mybible, slovoed, docs to go, lots of mp3's, photos etc & Tom Tom doesn't like some of them on the card at the same time. So I now run Tom Tom on a 256mb card on its own.
    I have a 1GB card with lots of other stuff (music, games, ON maps, etc). Doesn't seem to cause a problem for Tomtom. It isn't a given that it needs to be on a stand alone SD but it does simplify things.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    I have a 1GB card with lots of other stuff (music, games, ON maps, etc). Doesn't seem to cause a problem for Tomtom.
    Ditto. MP3s, ebooks, photos, Word, Excel and DTG files, a bunch of apps along with the map files. No problem (TT 5.12).
    There must be something on my 1gb ultra 2 that causes a conflict, because ttn 5.12 does not save my recent destinations, favorites, home location with all this extra stuff on it.

I guess I've got to do the old remove everything & install 1 at a time to find out what the problem is. What a pain.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567