Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I've failed to find a single thing this update does fix

It hot synced fine a couple of times but now the errors back again so that's still not fixed What it has given us is two annoying additions, the inexplicable turning on of the phone when TTN5 is launched and the constant pestering to turn blue tooth on
    Here are the improvements that I have noticed in 5.12:

1. I don't need to shut down Navigator to start communication with my BT-338 bluetooth GPS unit. In the prior version, the GPS unit had to be turned on first.

2. Contacts Navigator now works properly. Granted, it isn't all that pretty of a program but it does get the job done.

3. My Treo 650 now turns off when the red power button is pressed.

I haven't verified the improved call handling capability. I also think that I still have the same hotsync warnings. If Bluetooth is off, I get just one polite inquiry tor turn it on.

Overall, I'm very happy with the software upgrade.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pokada
    If Bluetooth is off, I get just one polite inquiry tor turn it on.
    And if you say you don't want to does it not keep asking you
    My bad, if I hit the "cancel" button when queried about Bluetooth I indeed get asked that same question again in short order. I didn't do a thorough test of this before. I guess that I'll just live with turning on Bluetooth.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    That's a shame, thought you may have inadvertently found a solution

This wouldn't be so bad if BT didn't cause such a big battery drain, which of course it does Now switching on BT each time does make sense if your using a BT receiver, as that's necessary for navigation, what I don't get is why it switches the phone on. If you've got TT Trafic setup to auto update then maybe, but if TT Trafic is disabled then there's no need for a GPRS connection.
  6.    #86  
    Given the new feature of returning to the navigator after a call, I wonder if when navigator starts, it 'asks' the phone if there is a call in progress or asks the Palm system if there is a phone on the device. Since the phone is not on, I wonder if it starts the radio just to answer that function call.
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk

This wouldn't be so bad if BT didn't cause such a big battery drain, which of course it does Now switching on BT each time does make sense if your using a BT receiver, as that's necessary for navigation, what I don't get is why it switches the phone on. If you've got TT Trafic setup to auto update then maybe, but if TT Trafic is disabled then there's no need for a GPRS connection.
    Well, I do use bluetooth for GPS and I use TT traffic as well. So, I don't mind that all these functions are turned on when Navigator is active. In fact, I need it that way. Between Pockettunes, Navigator, and Bluetooth, I am pretty well conditioned to recharging every night anyways. Given that, I don't worry about battery drain very much.

Overall, Navigator 5 is a great program and it basically does exactly what it was intended to do. It does have a few bugs and I expect that TomTom will fix them over time. On the other hand, it is an expensive software solution, in fact, it is probably the single most expensive piece of software that I have purchased. Given that, I would expect better software QA and customer support. As TomTom grows, we should expect these areas to improve.

One other comment is that I recently spent a week on Lake Powell in Utah on a houseboat. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Navigator 5 worked quite well on the boat. Lake Powell was well mapped and I was able to clearly mark the marinas and our campsite as POIs. The only thing that the program couldn't do was tell me what route to take on the houseboat - perhaps this should be one of the navigation options.

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk

Actually, if I change my GPS configuration to a wired connection vias the preference menu, I no longer get any nagging requests to turn on Bluetooth. Perhaps you should give that a try.

Paul
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I agree TTN5 is a great program and I wouldn't be without it now, my only concern was we've had the first update since it's release as it seems to have created more problems than it's solved.

I'll look into the switching to wired GPS solution
    After reading all these bad stories I won't bother with this update. I'll probably just wait for a new update that solves more issues, and add some new features.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    After reading all these bad stories I won't bother with this update. I'll probably just wait for a new update that solves more issues, and add some new features.

Al
    I loaded the update, and everything works as advertised with no issues whatsoever. YMMV.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwbaker
    I loaded the update, and everything works as advertised with no issues whatsoever. YMMV.
    Give it a few hotsynchs and I'm sure you'll be having the same problem as the rest of us
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    I'll look into the switching to wired GPS solution
    I notice that, though many Treo-oriented websites, such as this one, offer wired TTN for the 650 for sale, TomTom's own site doesn't include the Treo 650 in the compatibility list, though it does for the BT version. Why is that?

Also, am I right in thinking that, when using the BT version of TTN, you are unable to use a BT headset at all, whereas when using the wired version of TTN, a BT headset can be used as normal?
    Does anyone know which retail outlets carry the TomTom Navigator 5 in store ? Ideally in the Seattle, WA metro area.

Also has anyone written any interesting software other than that which comes with the unit ? e.g. Show my realtime location on a google earth map, etc ?

Thanks
    Adam.
    Have a look at KMaps
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    I notice that, though many Treo-oriented websites, such as this one, offer wired TTN for the 650 for sale, TomTom's own site doesn't include the Treo 650 in the compatibility list, though it does for the BT version. Why is that?

Also, am I right in thinking that, when using the BT version of TTN, you are unable to use a BT headset at all, whereas when using the wired version of TTN, a BT headset can be used as normal?
    Can anyone answer either of the above questions? I would ask TomTom, but to get support you have to be registered and the link for 'email' in 'contact us' is dead.
    I found that while using tt i can not answer an incomming call using my bluetooth headset but i can make a call using it once i hang up i go back into tt and it picks me up were i am located

Fred
    the answer is that 650 only as the facility to connect via BT to one device at a time, so you would have to use hard wired in order to be able to use BT headset at the same time. There is absolutely NO way of using two BT at the same time, nada, rien chance!
    Palm have no plans to change that on the 650. Future versions might enable BT1.2 or higher depencing what is available at the time, but they obviously went for the cheaper licenced version of BT when rolling out our PDAs. Hope that answers your question Biggles
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Thanks, Fred & Scudder.

And can anyone explain the other point, why TomTom don't include the Treo on their compatibility list for the wired version of Navigator, only the BT version, yet other vendors are selling "Wired TTN for the Treo"?
    Do you have to have 5.0 installed before you update to 5.12? The website seemed to indicate that you could perform a clean install of 5.12 directly (without 5.0).

I would do that except...the consensus around here seems to be to install the app, voices, and a map to the SD card before syncing. Can that be done if someone installs 5.12 directly? How would you install the voices and maps from the CD before the hotsync?

Anyone have any advice? Should I instally 5.12 directly, or instally 5.0 first (with the voices and maps), and then update it with 5.12?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast