Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Hello jrfaris,

I have installed TT5 onto a new treo650 and had no problems during installation. But I also have the double files in the internal memory - and therefore also have the hotsync problems.

Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    On my installation, all four files are in internal memory. I suspect that my duplicates resulted from some problem I had during the initial install. I will probably be trying a new install from scratch in the near future to see if I can clean up my overall TTN5 files but would like to get a response from TT to my questions about the multiple files I have before uninstalling.
    Thanks muffinchen,
    I thought it may have happened when I shifted some files to SD. Guess not. It's disappointing that someone hasn't gotten a reasonable response from TomTom support regarding these files. I'm still waiting.
    Did anyone figure out how to make Treo go "Back to Navigator after answering phone (for Treo650)"? I installed the patch and mine says version 5.12. While I was driving with TT5 guiding me to my home, I received a call. After the call, I had thougth that TT5 would come up again, but nothing happens. I was staring at the phone application waiting for TT5 to come up for a few seconds until I realized that it isn't going to happen.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Bestoverall, mine did go back to TT5 after taking the call. It was pretty annoying since I switch over to a handsfree bluetooth device.
    Mine switches back as well automatically. You still have to hit that annoying "I agree" button, but it's definitely an improvement.
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by emair
    Ok, I caved and wrote:

Just installed the 5.12 update for TomTom 5 for the Palm.
    Several VERY important issues:

1) TomTom now FORCES my phone (Treo650) on when starting. Many times I am not interested in having the phone on. Is this necessary?
    2) TomTom keeps asking to turn on Bluetooth forever. Version 5.00 asked twice and then stopped. Sometimes I want to just add a contact and am not interested in GPS mapping.
    3) I still get HotSync errors such as:
    WARNING: Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up
    database currentmap.dat to file
    C:\Program\Files\Palm\MairE\Backup\currentmap_dat.PDB. The file
    contained database CurrentMap.dat data.
    4) The Contact Navigator is a nice idea, but does not select from Work, Home, etc. addresses. Can this be added?

Thank you for your attention to these issues. I recommend your Palm software folks participate in the discussions at treocentral.com to see what other people have to say.

So I got a reply to my email to support:

We advise you to download and install FileZ from the following link and please follow the steps below.
    1.Open FileZ
    2.Click on "View and Edit files"
    3.Click on "Internal"
    4.Search for the files stated in the hotsync log(like CurrentMap.dat )
    5.Select one file at the time
    6.Tap on "Details"then click on "delete"
    7.Repeat the same operation for each file.
    8.Go to C:\Program Files\palm or palmOne\Userfolder
    9.Click on the Backup folder and rename to "Backup.old"
    10.Now perform a hotsync operation

They completely ignored my other issues. Argh. I guess I'll see if this works to rid the Hotsync errors.
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
    ======
    They completely ignored my other issues. Argh. I guess I'll see if this works to rid the Hotsync errors.
    ======
    If am interpreting their directions correctly, they're saying you ought to delete *all* of the offending files? Both CurrentMap.dat and currentmap.dat? Doesn't that sound a bit extreme? We eagerly await your results ...
  8.    #68  
    So I got a reply to my email to support:

We advise you to download and install FileZ from the following link and please follow the steps below.
    1.Open FileZ
    2.Click on "View and Edit files"
    3.Click on "Internal"
    4.Search for the files stated in the hotsync log(like CurrentMap.dat )
    5.Select one file at the time
    6.Tap on "Details"then click on "delete"
    7.Repeat the same operation for each file.
    8.Go to C:\Program Files\palm or palmOne\Userfolder
    9.Click on the Backup folder and rename to "Backup.old"
    10.Now perform a hotsync operation

Success! It appears that the lowercase versions of the files were the problem. Version 5.12 no longer creates them.

I had to re-activate my maps, but I wonder if you just delete the lowercase versions of the files from the internal memory and from the Backup folder, if it would keep the registration.

Now if they could just fix the other issues....
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
    I've been getting a hotsynch error but it isn't related to the TomTom files from what I can tell.

Very impressed with TomTom. It is head and shoulders above any other mapping program I've tried or seen.

One thing that is extremely annoying is that it doesn't want to let you browse a map without connecting to the bluetooth GPS. It constantly pops up the trying to connect message and I haven't been able to find anyway to stop it from searching for the GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    I know the data07 files relate to voice directions. I have two additional files data09 since I installed a second voice. I have the other 3 files also but then I installed TT to internal memory as well. My concern is I have a start.prc in the Palm directory on the card as well as start (no extension) internal. I've asked TT if both are required but am still waiting for a reply.
    That is why I probably don't have the same problem. I didn't want to waste any precious space with extra voices so I've only got the default one installed. No multiple file name issues.
    Success! It appears that the lowercase versions of the files were the problem. Version 5.12 no longer creates them.

I had to re-activate my maps, but I wonder if you just delete the lowercase versions of the files from the internal memory and from the Backup folder, if it would keep the registration.

Your guess was right on. I did as you suggested, and used filez to delete just the lowercase versions of my maps on my Treo. Also, when I went into my backup folder on my PC, I only found the upper case versions left, so there was nothing to do there. My next sync did not generate any errors, and when I ran TomTom, I did not need to reactivate any of my maps.
    Another little nit with TomTom is you can't search directly for a POI. You need to go to a category and hope it might be there. For example I was supposed to meet some friends at a yacht club. On my Magellan Roadmate I put in the name and bam...there it was. On the TomTom I tried searching under Marina but never found it. It doesn't even have a category for grocers which is one of the first things I look for when on vacation.

I did come up with a kludgy workaround. Use Directory Assistant to find the place, copy it the address book. Then copy address to Navigator. It would be nice is the address book feature in TomTom worked.
    Last edited by Disaster; 08/26/2005 at 12:51 PM.
    Son of a gun, success at last. I'm so happy, I'm gettin' teary eyed here. ;-)

Using Filez, I navigated over to the internal memory (as opposed to the SD card, which does not appear to be the source of the problem) and deleted the two offending lower-case files. Also deleted the two files on the PC under the Backup directory. HotSync, fingers crossed, and no errors. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen a full weekend without problems, but I am hopeful the problem is solved.

One question, however ... per directions, I installed the SW to the SD card, not internal memory. So why, exactly, do I have all these TomTom files in internal memory. Did the 5.21 patch ignore my original install and stick all this stuff in internal memory? Any ideas?

BDK.
    I think the files it installs in internal memory are actually shortcuts to the files on the SD card. They are extremely small.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    So, are these install issues related to having originally installed on the SD card?

Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    Bummer to hear about the install issues, especially with the SD card (they installed it that way; I never specified that-- but hey, much more RAM free...). Thanks for reporting here.

BTW, does anyone know the minimum amount of SD space required for installing all the new TomTom 5 maps, and if so, does it overwrite the old folder (just West coast maps for me)?

Thanks.
  16.    #76  
    Well, I spoke too soon. The hotsync errors are back. Damn you, TomTom.

Followup: Just did a hotsync and no errors. Bizarre.
    Last edited by emair; 08/31/2005 at 05:22 PM.
    --
  17. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Well, I spoke too soon. The hotsync errors are back. Damn you, TomTom.
    Sum a bits.
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts

I just checked the backup box to off, in filez. I left the one mac.data alone. Seems like bliss right now. I will get back if I have any probs.
    Can someone tell me what their TomTom directory on their SD card is? I want to find out if I have too many redundant things on the card from the install and updates. Currently I am experiencing SD Card "forgetfullness", where the SD card would appear to not show up on my Treo. It only started to happen when I installed TomTom 5. I erased the redundant lower case files on the Treo and it seems to work faster and more stable. I have not touched the Treo files on the SD card. I just want to be sure before I go on my 1000 mile trip in a few weeks.
    Sweet Mother of all that is Pure and Holy!!!

I just upgraded to the 5.12 and I swear the incessant nagging to connect to bluetooth is going to drive me crazy! Anyone come up with a fix?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast