Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I have tried the 650 and a BB 7250. The BB was great, but the PIM was not great by any means. Thinking about giving the 650 another shot, BUT, did VZWs firmware update raise the earpiece volume, and or stop the soft resets, and di the signal improve at all? Also, can you use versamail with gmail?

When I had mine I was fairly happy with it, but the signal was not as good as my E815 was, so...or I may go back to a treo 600 since I know those had no big issues. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    dont go back to the treo. I have gone back and forth (e815, bb 7250 and t650) more times than i care to count, and everytime i go back to the treo, its size, and missed calls always does me in. the bottom line, is that if calls are very important to you, the treo 650 simply can't give you the reliability needed. unfortunately, as someone else wrote recently, the relationship of features and reliabiliity are inversely related relative to cell phones.
    If you have used it before, they you know how nice it is to be converged.

It's stable and if you want to upgrade...you can, just wait a couple more months ;-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I think the treo is much better than the BB. I had the BB and was very unsatisfied with it's useability - if that's even a word. I thought the onboard navigation was clunky and too "boxed" in. With the treo, I find that I have easier access to app my key apps with one touch of a button instead of that annyong scroll wheel. There are apps out there to help boost earphone, speakerphone and headset volumes. They basically override the internal app for volume. I also personally feel that there are more apps (suitable for my liking) for business and personal use for the palmOS than the BB.
    I had the 7750 and 650 and can honestly say the blackberry is much better for basic email and pim. The scroll wheel is much easier to use when driving and the sound quality is better. I had to get rid of mine because sprint increased the service rates but if your an email junkie dont even waste your time with the treo its more of a geek toy.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawdey
    ...but if your an email junkie dont even waste your time with the treo its more of a geek toy.
    Explain.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Hawdey: if someone is using IMAP and Chatter then how is that different than the BB experience?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    ah decisions, decisions :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by ero2
    ...did VZWs firmware update raise the earpiece volume, and or stop the soft resets, and di the signal improve at all? Also, can you use versamail with gmail?
    I've never had a reset problem, so not sure if upgrade did anything for that...
    Gmail DOES work on Versamail.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I love the screen and speed of the 650, but I hate the earpiece volume, that it drops calls, and did I say the earpiece volume. I don't remember, is the treo 600 a lot worse than the 650? Should I just hold off for the new treo?
    After the firmware, volumecare will work on the Treo. The volume is quite ridiculously loud. Just be careful it affect the the mic level too, so you might need to increase the mic level.
    Last edited by whatever7; 08/18/2005 at 10:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    are there new revisions of the 650 that are better than old ones? Or is a revision a revision, and the only thing that really impacts the phone is the firmware?
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    so the consensus is to go with the 600? I really wanted to go pick up a 650 today, hoping it would be better than the first one I tried. I think my problem is, I expect reception to be as good as my 815 and the treo can't have that good of reception, since it is not tri mode, right?
    I had problems with reception on my GSM Treo 650, but after having upgraded the firmware a couple of times (currently on 1.31) I don't really consider this a problem anymore. Sure reception is not always perfect, but it is not worse than what I get from other phones in the same location.
    Have you heard of volume care???? That will fix your earpiece volume, I think depending on your carrier would be the reason for the dropped calls.