1.    #1  
    OK so I've had the Treo one week and the initial honeymoon is wearing off. Here are some of my learning experiences and "what the h_lls." Perhaps it will help others on their journey. Perhaps someone can point out my ignorance (I'm not a manual reader.)

FYI: It is a Earthlink Treo, software version 1.08.

1. Only one reset so far. I was downloading fatwallet pages that were too big and I kept hitting the red X to stop the page and links within the page till....poof....reset. I should mention for this week I've had no additional software loaded...heck I didn't even do the first sync. I wanted to see how stable it was as is.

2. 5-way button issues with call list. For some reason the 5 way button doesn't work immediately in the calls list. I have to press a particular call on the screen. Hit cancel. Than I can scroll up and down (sometimes even then, only one direction works at first.) Bug or "feature."

3. What ***** designed the mute for the phone but ignored the alarms and appointments. If I mute the phone it switches to vibrate. Great...but then I lose all the appointment and alarm alerts (they don't take advantage of the vibrate feature.) So, at work, if I want to turn off the ring so my phone won't go off in meetings, I lose my alarm and appointment alerts. That is just plain stupid.

4. Took me a few days to learn I could turn it on with other buttons besides the phone button. That was an initial frustration, because if I was browsing the web it would kick out of the web, go to the phone...then I'd have to go back to the web. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, I only read the manual far enough to know I had to hit the green phone button to turn it on...which turned it on AND started the phone application. Just learned I could turn it on by holding down several buttons including the red "off" button which returns you to your original application.

5. Single button quick dial is convoluted to set up. First you have to assign a shortcut. I used the last page (5) so I wouldn't have to see them.

6. Call waiting seems a bit buggy. There isn't a way to hand up an individual call (Hang-Up-All is only choice.) The other day I took an incoming call waiting call. I told the caller I'd call them back and switched back to my regular call. However, even though they hung up, I could still see them as a second call. I checked and sure enough I could here a dial tone on that line. The silly call waiting isn't automatically hanging up on the call when the caller hangs up and there doesn't seem to be a way to do it manually.

7. Can't get calls when on mobile web...but can get voice mail alerts. So, if I'm bored and surfing the web I only get alerts if someone goes to voice mail and leaves a message.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster
    2. 5-way button issues with call list. For some reason the 5 way button doesn't work immediately in the calls list. I have to press a particular call on the screen. Hit cancel. Than I can scroll up and down (sometimes even then, only one direction works at first.) Bug or "feature."
    It's stupid but that's the way it works. After you go to the call log you can hit the Up Button to get to then list then you can use the up and down buttons to select an entry. You get used to it.

3. What ***** designed the mute for the phone but ignored the alarms and appointments. If I mute the phone it switches to vibrate. Great...but then I lose all the appointment and alarm alerts (they don't take advantage of the vibrate feature.) So, at work, if I want to turn off the ring so my phone won't go off in meetings, I lose my alarm and appointment alerts. That is just plain stupid.
    Go to Preferences, Sounds and Alerts, then select Calendar. Under "Sound mode off" turn Vibrate on. Then it will vibrate for alarms and appointments too

6. Call waiting seems a bit buggy. There isn't a way to hand up an individual call (Hang-Up-All is only choice.) The other day I took an incoming call waiting call. I told the caller I'd call them back and switched back to my regular call. However, even though they hung up, I could still see them as a second call. I checked and sure enough I could here a dial tone on that line. The silly call waiting isn't automatically hanging up on the call when the caller hangs up and there doesn't seem to be a way to do it manually.
    It doesn't look like it hung up, but it really did. You won't be charged minutes for the call that hung up and if you get another call you'll still be able to answer it. Annoying, but not as bad as it appears

7. Can't get calls when on mobile web...but can get voice mail alerts. So, if I'm bored and surfing the web I only get alerts if someone goes to voice mail and leaves a message.
    This is an issue with CDMA phones (Verizon and Sprint (which Earthlink uses)). On a GSM phone (Cingular and T-Mobile) the data session is interrupted when a call comes in and you're able to answer it.

HTH,
    Brett
    in the call list press up on the 5 way pad to navigate
    <p style="margin:0px">in the call list press up on the 5 way pad to navigate</p>
    OK so I've had the Treo one week and the initial honeymoon is wearing off. Here are some of my learning experiences and "what the h_lls." Perhaps it will help others on their journey. Perhaps someone can point out my ignorance (I'm not a manual reader.)

FYI: It is a Earthlink Treo, software version 1.08.

Simply press up on the 5-way. That will shift the focus to the list. You can then press the center button to redial the call. Once you have shifted focus to the list, you can press to the right to shift the focus to the Details button to get detailed information for the call.
    My Treo vibrates during alarms just fine. From the Prefs application, choose Sounds & Alerts. Switch the Application to "Calendar". In the "Sound Mode Off" section, turn Vibrate to "On". That's in the manual, by the way.
    4. Took me a few days to learn I could turn it on with other buttons besides the phone button. That was an initial frustration, because if I was browsing the web it would kick out of the web, go to the phone...then I'd have to go back to the web. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, I only read the manual far enough to know I had to hit the green phone button to turn it on...which turned it on AND started the phone application. Just learned I could turn it on by holding down several buttons including the red "off" button which returns you to your original application.
    I guess you've never used a Palm PDA before. This is standard on most PDAs. The hard buttons both turn on the device and automatically switch to the assigned application. Of course if you had bothered to read the manual, on the very first page inside the front cover is a "Smart Stuff" page that says: "Turn on the device: Press and hold the (red phone button) to turn the phone on. Press (red phone button) to turn on just the organizer (no phone or internet, perfect when on a plane). Use this to return to your last state too." Hmmm... there's something to be said for READING THE MANUAL.
    5. Single button quick dial is convoluted to set up. First you have to assign a shortcut. I used the last page (5) so I wouldn't have to see them.
    Not sure what you mean by convoluted. It was very easy to set up a speed-dial entry. Not only can you set up phone numbers, but you can also have it launch applications, websites, SMS messages, or Email. And adding a single button quick dial was as easy as typing the letter in the "Quick Key" field. What makes that convoluted?
    This was Sprint's doing, not Palm's. I have it on good authority that Sprint forced Palm to implement it that way on the Sprint version of the Treo. The GSM Treos don't work that way. By the way, if you have a call waiting situation, and you want to hang up one party, just choose "Hang up All". The phone will hang up the caller that you are currently talking to. The phone will then ring. When you answer it, it will be the other party that you had on hold. They will not be aware of the ring back.
    This is true of all phones in the U.S. market. If the phone is actively transmitting data, all calls go to voice mail. On the Sprint (CDMA) version, the data arrows will be green while data is actively transmitting/receiving. Otherwise, they will be grey. During grey arrows, calls will ring through. On GSM versions, the arrows stay green regardless of if you have data transmitting/recieving or not. This gave the illusion that calls could be received while transmitting data on GSM Treos, but in reality, they share the same limitation. GSM Treos start and stop data transmision faster than their CDMA counterparts.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Sounds like someone needs to read the MANUAL...before they complain about things not working well...
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the tips.

Yeah, I do usually get around to reading parts of the manual...but they are usually written so poorly it is a huge waste of time. I find the specific information easier by searching the web.

I have owned Palms way back to the early days and PocketPCs and even a few Psions, however this is my first smartphone.
    How would you know if the manual is written poorly or not? How would you know if it is a huge waste of time or not? You never bothered to open it before complaining.

Let's see, according to you, you spent several days trying to figure out how to power the device back on without going to the Phone application. That information was right on the first page inside the cover. Sounds to me like the REAL waste of time was NOT reading the manual.

Of course that's up to you, but I suggest in the future that you not bad-mouth something (or the people who designed it) before you read the directions. There's nothing wrong with asking questions. It's just the way you asked them.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget
    How would you know if the manual is written poorly or not? How would you know if it is a huge waste of time or not? You never bothered to open it before complaining.

Let's see, according to you, you spent several days trying to figure out how to power the device back on without going to the Phone application. That information was right on the first page inside the cover. Sounds to me like the REAL waste of time was NOT reading the manual.

Of course that's up to you, but I suggest in the future that you not bad-mouth something (or the people who designed it) before you read the directions. There's nothing wrong with asking questions. It's just the way you asked them.
    In my experience, manuals are to be read a little bit at a time. If I sit down and try to read them thru and thru right when I get a product there is way too much information to stick. However, if you learn some basics and then search for the stuff you wonder about, they are more helpful. In my case, I've got most of the Palm basics down because I've used them all the way back in the days of the IIIe's. Some things are the same, some things different with operating system 5 and the Treo.

FYI, I didn't spend several days "trying to figure out how to power the device back on without going to the Phone application." I wrongly read or assumed the green button was the only way to do it and spent several days popping back to the phone application. An annoyance as I pointed out.

In retrospect, I was a little harsh when complaining about the alarm/vibrate thing. However, I still think it should have a world default such that if you chose mute to vibrate it defaults to that for everything unless you choose otherwise.

I definitely deserved a little heat from that comment.
    Not that anybody cares because you have to do what works best for you , but I've always found the best way to approach a manual, by far, is to read it cover-to-cover the first time through. Of course, you won't retain a great deal of it this first time through, but it certainly helps when putting pieces of the puzzle together.

It certainly would have answered some of your questions and what you did read may have been much clearer if you had first gone through the entire thing.

At any rate, enjoy your new Treo!!

-jeff
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    And FWIW, I've used phones since the early candlestick type phones with "party" lines. That doesn't mean I know how to use the phone part of a Treo.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLiveSoundGuy
    And FWIW, I've used phones since the early candlestick type phones with "party" lines. That doesn't mean I know how to use the phone part of a Treo.
    Well I've used organizers since they were a stone tablet and a piece of charcoal. Didn't really prepare me for the Palm.

P.S. Maybe my title should have been "stupid Treo owner tricks...."