Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalfx
    I guess there is no way some of your software is at fault. I dont have these issues.

BTW- I was primarily addressing this statement (#1 in this thread):

"The bottom line is, I believe the Cingular updater for the Treo 650 is creating a series of problems that progressively diminish the functionality of the phone. I think there is something in it that slowly corrupts the files on Treo."

Come on now....the update is slowly corrupting the files on the Treo! Give me a break.
    I am really glad that you don't have any problems with your phone after doing the update, but if you think that no one else in the world has had problems with it, then you are wrong. Since you have no experience in the problem, you really have no basis from which to respond to these posts! It's like commenting on how Key Lime
    Pie tastes when you never had it before!

The glitches that some of us are experiencing are small yet irritating, and, yes, in my case, they got progressively worse as the days and hours went by.

Again, you have no understanding of these probs, so why place your input here?
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZTreo
    I am really glad that you don't have any problems with your phone after doing the update, but if you think that no one else in the world has had problems with it, then you are wrong. Since you have no experience in the problem, you really have no basis from which to respond to these posts! It's like commenting on how Key Lime
    Pie tastes when you never had it before!

The glitches that some of us are experiencing are small yet irritating, and, yes, in my case, they got progressively worse as the days and hours went by.

Again, you have no understanding of these probs, so why place your input here?
    Actually I do know what I am talking about- I have updated 5 phones, and most were updated twice once when 1.28 released and again when 1.31 released. All updates went smoothly and work well. Your problems are most likely releated to incorrect procedures during the install or even more likely the fault of other software installed on your phone. THE UPDATE DOES NOT PROGRESSIVELY CORRUPT YOUR PHONE.

Yes, I did have occasional issues, but most were solved by removing the applications that were the real culprit.

BTW- I dont like Key Lime Pie.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    Personally, I think you should by another phone. If that don't work, buy another.
    Heck buy two they're small.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Have you tried ProfileCare....it fixes this "feature".
    Pay $$$ to fix an "upgrade" bug...........I think not.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    Pay $$$ to fix an "upgrade" bug...........I think not.
    Well its actually not a bug, its a feature....just a stupid feature.

RE: ProfileCare, yes it cost money, but in my opinion it is one of my favorite apps....it does so much more than fix this "feature. Try the demo.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
  6.    #26  
    Actually I do know what I am talking about- I have updated 5 phones, and most were updated twice once when 1.28 released and again when 1.31 released. All updates went smoothly and work well. Your problems are most likely releated to incorrect procedures during the install or even more likely the fault of other software installed on your phone. THE UPDATE DOES NOT PROGRESSIVELY CORRUPT YOUR PHONE.

Yes, I did have occasional issues, but most were solved by removing the applications that were the real culprit.

BTW- I dont like Key Lime Pie.
    Well, since you are an expert, why not tell me exactly where the "incorrect procedures" would be during the install? Would it be during the hard reset? Would it be during the automated Wizard that downloads the updater directly into the phone? When, exactly, would this fatal and incorrect procedure take place during all of these automated steps that continuously let you know you have successfully completed each step?

And, when I would check under Phone Info that it is now the updated version, are my eyes also "incorrectly" assessing that the download was a success when it sees version 1.15CNG?

And, don't bother to say something like, "maybe your cable was loose", or "maybe you shut off your computer during the install", or "maybe you don't know how to follow directions"....not everyone is a moron...

I didn't own any of my 4 Treo's long enough to install 3rd party software.

....I don't like Key Lime Pie, either.
    Well, since you are an expert, why not tell me exactly where the "incorrect procedures" would be during the install? Would it be during the hard reset? Would it be during the automated Wizard that downloads the updater directly into the phone? When, exactly, would this fatal and incorrect procedure take place during all of these automated steps that continuously let you know you have successfully completed each step?

And, when I would check under Phone Info that it is now the updated version, are my eyes also "incorrectly" assessing that the download was a success when it sees version 1.15CNG?

And, don't bother to say something like, "maybe your cable was loose", or "maybe you shut off your computer during the install", or "maybe you don't know how to follow directions"....not everyone is a moron...

I didn't own any of my 4 Treo's long enough to install 3rd party software.

....I don't like Key Lime Pie, either.

Tell you what....send me the phone and I guarantee I will get it working in a day....I'll even pay the return shipping.

what apps do you have installed?
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
  8.    #28  
    Tell you what....send me the phone and I guarantee I will get it working in a day....I'll even pay the return shipping.

what apps do you have installed?
    This is a new phone I have w/out the updater. I refuse to load it in! The only apps I have on the phone are what came w/the phone, plus Zap!2016 and VolumeCare. I did not have the VolumeCare on the other phones.

The one I have now I just got today....I think the buttons feel a little loose on it.

Why do I need the updater anyway? And why did I lose my email and text message icons on the main screen?! Why?? Why?? Why??

I can't send you my phone (but thanks for the offer), but maybe you can talk me through the process and the aftermath, if I should have any probs..

I am just frustrated.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Well its actually not a bug, its a feature....just a stupid feature.
    The "30 second screen off" IS a bug. The "feature" was only supposed to turn the screen off after 30 seconds of phone use (in-call), not during regular pda use. It has rendered the option to turn off the pda, after up to 3 minutes of inactivity, useless.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    This is a new phone I have w/out the updater. I refuse to load it in! The only apps I have on the phone are what came w/the phone, plus Zap!2016 and VolumeCare. I did not have the VolumeCare on the other phones.

The one I have now I just got today....I think the buttons feel a little loose on it.

Why do I need the updater anyway? And why did I lose my email and text message icons on the main screen?! Why?? Why?? Why??

I can't send you my phone (but thanks for the offer), but maybe you can talk me through the process and the aftermath, if I should have any probs..

I am just frustrated.
    No problem, I would be happy to help. If you would have asked for help in the begining rather than post "DO NOT INSTALL THE UPGRADE" you would probably already have 50 posts full of suggestions.

When you say you lost your icons, do you mean the application icons inside "APPLICATIONS"?

btw- the main advantage (for me) to the upgrade nets you additional RAM, if you dont plan on adding 3rd party apps and have a small amount of data this wont benefit you very much. There was also an upgrade to Versamail which improved stability, I use Snappermail so I cant comment on what the actual improvement is.

One of the strengths of the Treo is the vast amount of Palm software available (alot of it FREE), some of which Palm should have included w/ the Treo. This is an area though that you must be carefull, as many apps are responsible for the crashes you have been reading about, not the firmware update.

I have over 30 additional apps installed on my Treo and couldnt live w/o them.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    The "30 second screen off" IS a bug. The "feature" was only supposed to turn the screen off after 30 seconds of phone use (in-call), not during regular pda use. It has rendered the option to turn off the pda, after up to 3 minutes of inactivity, useless.
    yea, you are right...since I use ProfileCare I forgot about that.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
  12.    #32  
    I am only saying that if you know something about the download that isn't in the standard directions given at Palm, then I would absolutely like to know. I did everything according to the website directions...this is not the first time I have downloaded anything; I am very computer friendly and sometimes, I know more than the Tech people do...

The icons I lost are on the main screen above the dial pad, next to the time and date. There is a space there that when there are unread text or emails, little icons pop up there, then you can tap them to go directly to the applications. After the update on both phones, those icons immediately disappeared. I also had a Blank alerts screen everytime new mail would come in. These are issues aside from the Versamail, which has its own set of glitches..

What apps do you have on your phone? And what would have caused these probs, if I had no 3rd party software on the phone....and don't say I didn't install the updater correctly please!
    The icons I lost are on the main screen above the dial pad, next to the time and date. There is a space there that when there are unread text or emails, little icons pop up there, then you can tap them to go directly to the applications.
    I dont have these either....dont ever recall having them before the update. If they were there before I would guess Palm removed them for some reason, this is not a bug. I have always used Butler to remind me of missed calls and messages.

I also had a Blank alerts screen everytime new mail would come in. These are issues aside from the Versamail, which has its own set of glitches..
    Never had this problem, I really dont understand whats going on here.

What apps do you have on your phone? And what would have caused these probs, if I had no 3rd party software on the phone....and don't say I didn't install the updater correctly please!
    So these are the only two problems you are having??? I had more serious issues with the original firmware...resets daily, memory issues, slow internet. With the new firmware I have gained over 10MB of ram back, that is a serious improvement.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    Here are the apps I have installed:

Directory Assistant
    iPedia
    Snap
    TMP
    Flight Status
    Tom Tom Navigator 5
    Traffic Edge
    KMaps
    Java
    Docs to Go
    Area Codes
    Palm VNC
    Snapper Mail
    VeriChat
    Butler
    Volume Care
    ProfileCare
    Card Export II
    Explorer
    DbScan
    Reset Net
    RLock
    Lightwav
    HiLauncher
    Uninstall Manager
    LauncherX
    PTunes
    TCPMP
    SplashPhoto
    pCAM
    pCINE
    StopWatch II
    SunAngle
    BlueFang
    DBCacheDA
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
  15.    #35  
    I dont have these either....dont ever recall having them before the update. If they were there before I would guess Palm removed them for some reason, this is not a bug. I have always used Butler to remind me of missed calls and messages.

Never had this problem, I really dont understand whats going on here.

So these are the only two problems you are having??? I had more serious issues with the original firmware...resets daily, memory issues, slow internet. With the new firmware I have gained over 10MB of ram back, that is a serious improvement.
    Seeee???? You don't know what is going on, either! And, I am not the only one who has experienced this prob...there are posts all over the web about it...

Before the updater, the 2 Palms I had were wonderful. AFTER the updater, I had resets happening more and more as the days went on. If the updater is mainly for extra memory, I can hold off until they come out with a newer vesion....I have an SD card for other things, I don't have to store pics on the phone, etc...

Those icons should not be removed for any valid reason; they are exceptional shortcuts to the applications. If Palm had good reason for removing them, then why don't any of the tech people know about it?

And, if there is a good reason for having a blank Alerts screen everytime new mail comes in, well, then I must live in Bizarro World.
    Seeee???? You don't know what is going on, either! And, I am not the only one who has experienced this prob...there are posts all over the web about it...

Before the updater, the 2 Palms I had were wonderful. AFTER the updater, I had resets happening more and more as the days went on. If the updater is mainly for extra memory, I can hold off until they come out with a newer vesion....I have an SD card for other things, I don't have to store pics on the phone, etc...

Those icons should not be removed for any valid reason; they are exceptional shortcuts to the applications. If Palm had good reason for removing them, then why don't any of the tech people know about it?

And, if there is a good reason for having a blank Alerts screen everytime new mail comes in, well, then I must live in Bizarro World.

You are correct, I am uninstalling my updates immediatly.

EVERYONE SHOULD UNINSTALL THE FIRMWARE UPDATE.
    DO NOT INSTALL IT IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY.

goodbye da
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    That is weird, b/c it works fine for me. I just tested it and changing the setting to 3 minutes worked fine. It took three minutes from the time I stopped pressing buttons for the screen to shut off.

I am not saying its not a bug, just saying that its not present on every upgraded 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-i-am
    ditto. You sure you didn't have some third party software on there? I once replaced my visor 4 or 5 times before realizing it was some stupid launcher program I was using.
    Yeah those pesky 3rd party apps are a real drag eh?
    Weird thing about the "30 second screen off" bug. It was driving me nuts, and I was working on a little application to fix it. I'm not sure what happened, but I can't reproduce the bug at all now - even with my application uninstalled.

In fact, the suspected cause of the behavior - the new "feature" of the update that caused the screen to shut off 30 seconds into a call - doesn't happen anymore either.

I'm still trying to figure out why, but my sense of urgency has diminished somewhat.

This is a Cing branded unit, running the 1.15 update.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
    Now it's the buttons. That must have been the updaters fault as well.
    This is what, phone 5, 6 for you? Keep trying till you get it right.

Go get another phone, check it BEFORE you leave the store.
    Make sure you tell them you want the one without the updated firmware, because you are not forward compatable. Oh, and have them send someone to operate it for you or have them transfer the manual to audio disc so you won't have to read it.

Or, you can get this nice TAC-phone. Look it even dials!http://www.totalmerchantsolutionsnat...es/StarTac.JPG

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast