1.    #1  
    I am stuck with one POP account in Chatter (otherwise I use IMAP).

Often times I will get notice that I have a message in my POP account (I can see the subject line in the mail box) but there is no actual body of the message. I must then go to my PC and get the message.

Any ideas?
    Not without a log.

Marc
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Marc.

I will start a log and send it out when it happens.
    Might as well do "verbose" as well.

Marc
    I tried Chatter as POP with gmail. I really liked the background downloading. But the messages were odd. Sometimes they just disappeared from the handheld after reading them. When I marked them to get the entire message, it would sometimes work and sometimes not. I finally deleted Chatter and went back to Snapper.
    Laissez Faire
    prubin - You could have checked "Keep Older Messages" and this would have solved your problem; the default is to "sync" with the server, which often results in messages seeming to disappear with Gmail (which defautly only allows a message to be POP'ed once).

Marc
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin
    I tried Chatter as POP with gmail. I really liked the background downloading. But the messages were odd. Sometimes they just disappeared from the handheld after reading them. When I marked them to get the entire message, it would sometimes work and sometimes not. I finally deleted Chatter and went back to Snapper.
    I also have this problem with messages deleting from my Gmail POP. However, I recently setup the "Gmail to forward to Fastmail" and my Fastmail IMAP account on Chatter and it works great.

Messages were never deleted from Gmail web anyway so I always had to go back to the web access to delete them. But now I have my first IMAP with PUSH and am loving it. There are still some HTML and embedded pic display problems but I'm confident these will be worked out in the near future. Give Chatter another go. Search for "Fastmail" to learn the forwarding and IMAP setup.
    If somebody wants to write up a detailed procedure for this, I'll put it in a FAQ on the chatteremail website; seems like info that a number of people would like to see!

Marc
    What I like about Gmail is that it stores old messages and is easy to search. If I used Fastmail as an IMAP account I would lose this, wouldn't I?
    Laissez Faire
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin
    What I like about Gmail is that it stores old messages and is easy to search. If I used Fastmail as an IMAP account I would lose this, wouldn't I?
    Nope. When setting up forwarding from Gmail, simply choose "keep Gmail's copy in the Inbox". Then all your mail is still kept at your Gmail account.

Furthermore, when you send mail using Gmail's SMTP (on your Chatter's Fastmail account), your sent mail also gets included in Gmail's conversation view. There is a quirk in that the "quoted text" does not show up properly but this is not an issue since with conversation view your previous correspondence is grouped.

By using Fastmail, you are simply using Fastmail as a "conduit" or "go-through" for your incoming Gmail before it gets to your Chatter. Chatter is syncing with your Fastmail account and not your Gmail account. Therefore, you can delete all of your Gmail messages on Fastmail (from Chatter or on Fastmail's web access) and still have them in your Gmail account.

Using Fastmail (or other free IMAP) in this way has the following benefits:

1. Your mail in Chatter is synced with Fastmail's account so you won't experience abitrary deleting of read-mail as you do when POPing (or more accurately Syncing) Gmail with Chatter.
    2. You gain the benfits of having an IMAP account. See http://www.imap.org/
    3. Fastmail's IMAP supports IDLE so your incoming Gmail gets to your Chatter instantly! (Well actually within a couple of seconds).
    4. Fastmail works great with Chatter.
    5. Fastmail's account is Free! (If you can live with the limitations:The free Fastmail account has some storage and monthly bandwidth limitations but is adequate for most).
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    If somebody wants to write up a detailed procedure for this, I'll put it in a FAQ on the chatteremail website; seems like info that a number of people would like to see!

Marc
    Ok Marc, I'll work on it later today and send you an email.

Although I got it to work well and believe I understand the setup and issues, you will also want to solicit information from others to ensure accuracy and completeness... Perhaps best done by posting it on your webpage and soliciting feedback.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    That's terrific! Thanks!

Marc
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    That's terrific! Thanks!

Marc
    You're welcome. The first draft is in your Inbox at chatteremail@imap.cc
    When it's going in the direction you like we could post it here as a Wiki.
    Last edited by eKeith; 08/19/2005 at 04:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by deer8
    I am stuck with one POP account in Chatter (otherwise I use IMAP).

Often times I will get notice that I have a message in my POP account (I can see the subject line in the mail box) but there is no actual body of the message. I must then go to my PC and get the message.

Any ideas?

This has been happening to me also. I tap on Reply or Forward and the body of the message is in the draft.. *shrug

Bek
  15. Chatter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekktek
    This has been happening to me also. I tap on Reply or Forward and the body of the message is in the draft.. *shrug

Bek
    With which Chatter version? And which phone?

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter

Marc
    b39 and sprint treo 650..
    Bek

edit: actually I think it was the beta I had installed just prior to this one.. I don't remember if I've seen this behavior in b39 yet. I don't know which beta I had just prior... sorry
    Last edited by Bekktek; 08/19/2005 at 05:51 PM.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter

Marc
    Hmmm...Marc's new alias or an imposter.
    I changed my name to Chatter from mblank on this board.

Marc
    I have also been having this problem on the 650 - only for some messages. I forward my pop3 messages to fastmail for IMAP. With the messages that don't come up properly on Chatter you have to click on html when in the fastmail msg screen in order to view the whole email. Otherwise fastmail gives you the option of opening the msg as an attachment. Chatter does not pick this up and there is no way to download the complete message. I'm using v. b41.

It seems that Chatter cannot read an email in this form.

The only way for me to view this email on the road would be to use snapper to download it!

Hope this can be sorted out cause Chatteremail is far better than the competition!