Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Are there any advantages to buying an unlocked GSM 650 directly from Palm? I donít travel overseas so that is not an advantage to me so besides this I guess, anything else to add that is not in the thread below?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=unlocked+gsm

Thanks in advance.

Joe
    Last edited by jpasint; 08/17/2005 at 04:16 AM.
    Apparently you need an unlocked GSM model to update the GSM ROMS with custom versions (using methods discussed on this board).

Can anybody elaborate as to why this is useful (I mean removing appz from a ROM to build a smaller custom ROM) as the RAM stays the same? What advantages are their to a smaller ROM? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roguetrooper
    Apparently you need an unlocked GSM model to update the GSM ROMS with custom versions (using methods discussed on this board).

Can anybody elaborate as to why this is useful (I mean removing appz from a ROM to build a smaller custom ROM) as the RAM stays the same? What advantages are their to a smaller ROM? Thanks!
    Somehow I donít think you need an unlocked to build custom ROMs but maybe Iím wrong. The purpose of building custom ROMs is to be able to put what you want in the phones ROM so you donít have to put it in RAM. And when you do a hard reset you still have the apps there.

THREAD HIJACKER!!!!!

Joe
    You can use it on T Mobile. If you open a new account in a local store, you can get the same discount as the Cingular Treo. Or you can get a free phone and sell it if you do it from the corporate stores.

One year later, you can switch back to Cingular, and get the same discount. You get the idea. That's why I never sign two year contract.

Unlocked also has slightly higher resell value.
    Unlocked carries no contract or brand name, and can be used with any GSM carrier. That's it.

A discounted, branded 650 comes with a contract. It can be unlocked, and the unlocked ROM can be installed, making it identical to an unlocked device except for the brand name on the phone.

I've done this, so I know from personal experience it can be done. I now have the latest Cingular ROM, but that's only because I chose to so that - U updated from the latest unlocked ROM.

I got my phone unlocked from Cingular for no cost.
    swappable SIM's (with other carriers).
    flexibility with ROM setups
    not locked into any particular contract
    can use prepaid SIMs in a pinch/emergency
    can be used internationally
    etc. etc.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    just the freedom 2 change carriers (& btw u can cook ROMS on locked devices)