Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The one issue (and it's a big one) I have with Chatter is the way it seems to mess up Butler, specifically Butler's repeating notifications feature. It virtually disables this.

Has anyone tried PDA Apps "Treo Alert Manager" with Chatter to see if they behave the same way as well? I haven't used "Treo Alert Manager" since my 600 days, before Butler was released I think.
    I don't make a habit out of pointing people towards my previous posts, but I have butler and chatter working well together. You might find this of some help:

http://tinyurl.com/8otqr
  3.    #3  
    I'll give this set up a try and report back. I thought I had tried another one of your configurations and found that it didn't work, but that one didn't include LED off.

Thanks.
    Yes, I think one of the past solutions that I used was to use some of chatter e-mails console settings. While this did work, it was a bit complicated to setup correctly. Hopefully this solution (that doesn't involve using chatter's console settings) will do the trick. I should mention that while these solutions work, they aren't perfect (it would be great to have real integration between butler/chatter etc). With this current setup, the led notification will stop as soon as you move the 5-way. Now this should be ok for most people as you would see the led notification, turn on the treo and move the 5way while you are checking the notification (thus turning the notification off). Anyway, let me know how it goes.
    Last edited by paulsjmail; 08/16/2005 at 05:34 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Your set up seems to be working as advertised.

However, it's not ideal for me. What I'd like is this. Audio, vibrate and led alerts for missed calls, voicemail and sms. LED alerts only for Chatter.

The problem I have with your set up is if I have Butler set to audio/vibrate alert me in the attention manager settings it then does so whenever I get a new e-mail with Chatter. I get a lot of e-mail so this is way too much audio/vibrate.
    Great, glad it's working for you.
  7.    #7  
    Well like I said it may be working but it's not the perfect set up for me and it's not using Butler the way it's meant to be used.

It forces me to only use LED alerts since I can't have audio alerts for every Chatter e-mail I get. It would be beeping all day. Since Butler doesn't distinguish e-mail alerts from Chatter the problem arises.
    In your initial post you mentioned that your problem was:

"The one issue (and it's a big one) I have with Chatter is the way it seems to mess up Butler, specifically Butler's repeating notifications feature. It virtually disables this."

The solution I offered does not interfere/disable butler's repeating notifications feature (If anything, It uses notifications the way butler is setup to use them). Had I known that you had other criteria, I would not have offered this as a solution for your particular predicament. I also think that the roadblock you are really running into is a limitation with "butler" and I would encourage you to contact the developer with your feature request (I would like to see this implemented in "butler" as well).
  9.    #9  
    You're right your method does make Butler's repeating notification work again.

It's just that it also causes new e-mails from within Chatter to get picked up by Butler and therefore the alerts are repeated for them as well. Since Butler doesn't even have a option to select alerts for e-mail the problem begins.

Yes, my problem is I want Butler to work like it should but still have Chatter installed. While your solution is close, it's not the way Butler works when it's installed alone.

Yes, I wanted the repeating notification feature working again. But only for the items listed in the Butler set up (missed calls, SMS, voicemail and alarms.) E-mail isn't included there.
    I see what you are saying and I completely agree with you. I would also like to be able to differentiate between the different items (missed calls, e-mails, sms, etc) that butler (or any other app) will sound an alert for. Actually, I'm not sure if I'm taking it a step further, but I would like to see butler allow me to be able to differentiate between an led notification and an audible alert. For instance, I would like to be able to have a notification sound an alert and light the led, and then after maybe 5 minutes, it would only keep the led lit but not sound the audible alert any more. Right now, it doesn't look like butler can do this. Anyway, hopefully we'll see some more integration between chatter/butler etc that will allow you to setup things a little more to your liking (or maybe we'll get a chatter only solution that will work).
    The latest beta of Chatter supports Butler (how successfully, I don't know yet, but I added code for it...)

Marc
  12.    #12  
    Sweet Marc.

Installing now.
  13.    #13  
    Marc,

I just did a few quick tests of the new beta and so far it's working. It's doing the same exact thing as described above. Butler is alerting (repeating) for everything it's suposed to even when Chatter gets new mail (this is when it stopped before.) But it's also repeat alerting for new Chatter e-mails.

Any way to get it so Chatter and Butler work independently?
  14.    #14  
    Okay, I beleive I may have just found away to make everything work the way I want it.

In Butler I've uncheck the option to repeat notifications for "attention manager (normal alerts)" but left checked "incoming call" "incoming sms" "voicemail" and "Butler's Alarms." I

I made a test call and Butler alerted me and continued to alert me based on the repeat settings I had chosen. And here's the important part. Butler kept notifying me even when Chatter had received new mail.

In Chatter I set up LED alerts only.

Now in a way this acts in the opposite manner as above. If I miss a call the LED goes solid, audio alerts etc. As soon as I check the Treo (i.e. dismiss the missed call the LED goes back to the default state regardless of whether Chatter has new mail waiting or not.) So I just have to remember to check Chatter after I've dismissed the alert for missed call, SMS or voicemail.

Further testing is needed on my part but it's getting there.
    I'm not that familiar with Butler. What I did was add code so that it would use Butler's LED alerts when Chatter was about to turn "off" the LED (i.e. go back to the unused state). Isn't that right?

Marc
  16.    #16  
    I can only speak for me..........

The problem I have with that is that causes Butler to pick up new Chatter messages in the attention manager and alert based on Butler's alert settings not Chatters.

The set up I'm after is:

Repeating audio, vibrate and LED alerts (using Butler) for
    -Missed calls
    -Voice Mail
    -SMS

LED alerts only (using Chatter) for
    -Chatter Messages

See, if I allow Butler to audio/vibrate repeat alert me for new Chatter messages my Treo will be going off all day. That's why I think it's important for the two apps to allow their alerts to work independently. I'm not sure if it's possible but I've finally got it set up so it's real close.

I personally want to hear audio/vibrate repeating alerts for missed calls, SMS and voicemail because I don't get nearly as many of those as I do Chatter e-mails. And when I do get them they're usually pretty important.

Hope that makes sense.
    Have you asked Rob (Butler) about this? I'm not sure how to tell Butler that I'm handling email? I guess I'm still not sure how this would work.

Marc
  18.    #18  
    I haven't asked Rob about it. I'll send him off an e-mail tomorrow regarding it.

Perhaps he could add a check box for "e-mail" in Butler's attention manager settings. This way people could leave it unchecked, which would allow Chatter to manage e-mail alerts or check it, which would allow Butler to.
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    Now in a way this acts in the opposite manner as above. If I miss a call the LED goes solid, audio alerts etc. As soon as I check the Treo (i.e. dismiss the missed call the LED goes back to the default state regardless of whether Chatter has new mail waiting or not.) So I just have to remember to check Chatter after I've dismissed the alert for missed call, SMS or voicemail.
    Interesting... I remember a discussion in a Butler thread about what can be done when multiple alerts occur. I guess it's pretty tricky to create an "alarm hierarchy" (such that, as you describe, once your clear the voicemail you would go back to the previous alert state; presumably, a different color LED for Chatter's alers). Questions arise like "which gets priority, an email or a new voicemail, or just whatever was the most recent alert?" Anyway, confusedvorlon seemed to think it was a bit complicated to sort out.

So far - for me at least - the new Chatter setting to default to Butler's LED is working great! I do notice subtle differences between when I use "indicator red" instead of "indicator [anything else]" though, which I think are due to Chatter's use of the LED as a connection status light (even though Butler's default state is "off"). I asked Marc if it might be possible to create an optional Chatter preference not to use the LED as a connection status indicator (similar to the behavior when the setting is "indicator red," but available for any indicator setting). That would clear one of the last great hurdles in my Chatter setup!

Jesse
    Indicator red is problematic because (as you say), Chatter uses this to indicate that the Treo is doing something that freezes it (data connections, basically).

Marc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast