Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The following comparison is of the Sony Ericsson HBH-662 and HBH-300 using a Sprint PCS Treo 650:

I have owned the Sony Ericsson HBH-300 for a couple months now and really liked the call quality on both ends. The 10 hour talk time was another big reason why I went with this headset. However, there were a couple drawbacks and decided to try either the 660 or 662. I ended up with the 662.

My first impression of it was "It's small!", especially compared to the 300 that is a little long thanks to the boom mic. It paired just as easily as the 300 (no thanks to the instructions!) and was ready to use after charging about 1 1/2 hours.

The first improvement I noticed with the 662 was it was louder. Even with the eargel on the 300 the volume was a little low. The increased volume with the 662 is an asset especially when walking in downtown Chicago during lunch or on Lake Street where the El runs all day!

I made a few calls with the 662 and at first thought the mic volume wasn't as loud because I called my wife and she could hardly hear me. Come to find out she was having noise issues on her end preventing her from hearing. Next, I called my mother while I was in the car with both windows down. She was able to hear me with no problem whatsoever. I asked if she noticed a difference with this call compared to previous ones and she said this call had more background noise, but not a lot. On the 300 she was able to hear me loud and clear and had no idea I was on a headset.

The 662 only has about 5 hours talk time, but since the connectors on the 300 and 662 are identical, I am able to keep one a/c plug at home, one at the office, and thanks to Dan's Cellular I also have a car charger to make sure the battery never runs out. Not that it will be too big of a deal, though, since both the Treo and the 662 have the same amount of talk time.

The main reason why I wanted to try the 662 was because of the removeable earclip. The 300's clip can't be removed because that's where the battery is located. After about 30 minutes of having the eargel AND earclip applying pressure to my ear, I would find myself wanting to take it off to give my ear a rest.

I like having the caller ID feature, but I didn't really have any issues without it on the 300. In my opinion, the main advantages of the 300 are the long talk time, the boom mic for clearer voice calls, and the botton to accept/end calls is easier to find on the 300. I also added a windscreen to improve the sound cancelling feature and that worked wonders. However, after 1 1/2 days of usage, it looks like the 662 is a keeper because of the louder speaker, removeable earclip, lighter weight and great sound quality. I'll continue to test it over the next week or so and report back any changes or new developments.
    thank for the review. im waiting for the hbh-610 though (no release date).
    Usual Suspects Entertainment
    We make the crowd move.
    www.djnyce.com
    I have both the SE HBH-660 and the HBH-300. I just received the 300. I have gotten used to the immediate pick up of outgoing and incoming calls, all I have to do is hit the answer button on my phone and the call is transferred to my 660. However, I didn't like the outgoing noise on the 660. I did the "Chicago Lake street test," and was not impressed. The 660 has no noise cancelling as far as I can tell. Is there a way to get the HBH-300 to pick up calls like the HBH-660? Did you have to "delete the Bluetooth cache" or anything else to get it to work right? If I could get the 300 to act like the 660 in handling calls, I would have what I consider a perfect headset.
  4.    #4  
    I didn't notice a difference between how the 662 and 300 handles calls. They both were immediate. Which method did you use to pair the headset? Did you hold the power button, or did you hold the + and - ? I did the + and - for both.
    I did the + and - for the 300. I have a Cingular 650. Maybe this is the difference, do you have a Sprint or Verizon?
  6.    #6  
    I have Sprint.
    Methinks that the Cingular bluetooth software isn't quite what the Sprint software is and that makes all the difference. Darn.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I've got the 300 with an AT&T Blue 650 and now that it is syncing on outgoing as well as incoming calls, this thing is fast with a capital F!

For me to get it to sync well I had to pair it while it was still listed as an unknown device when it is searching for local bluetooth. I also paired with the + - volume method.

dan
    BY GEORGE, I THINK YOU'VE GOT IT. That worked like a charm. Now I love my HBH-300. I'm glad I found you, Finnd. Have a good weekend, you earned it with me.
    Cor blimey, it works. Managed to get my HBH-300 working as a Handsfree device. However, I tried turning BT off and did a soft reset, and the HBH-300 went back into old Headset mode... Anyway to make Handsfree behaviour stick?
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
    any luck with this. I'm still loving my logitech mobile but am itching to try the HBH-300.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I'm figting with this as well. At least once a day I get a soft reset and then the treo loses the registration info for all the apps I have installed. I can't find a trend yet for the soft reboot, but I know I didn't have this with my Jabra headset.

Anyone know if there is a central database file of registration info I can restore rather then doing a full restore from VFS Backup?

thanks,

dan
    You can simply restore these 2 files - Saved Preferences & Unsaved Preferences.
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    fantastic, I will give that go when it invariably soft resets today. :-) Now, if we could find out why it is doing the soft reset. Perhaps we should compare the apps that we are running in memory all the time? If memory serves I have:

ZLauncher
    LightWav
    DateBook5

no hacks running at this point, althought I would like to get rid of the screen-tap click and shorten the DTMF. Are you other guys (non-gender specific) that are getting the soft resets running any of these programs too?

Thanks,

Dan
    I just posted my opinion of the HBH-662 on my blog... http://mobileoptimized.com/Blog.html#HBH662
    Big Tone,
    I am curious about which one you've ended up using more over the past couple of weeks. I've got a 662 and have read a lot of good things on here about the 300 so I've been thinking of giving it a try, but would like to hear which one you've stuck with.
    The idea of caller ID LCD on a headset just seems stupid to me. The whole idea of a headset is you leave it conveniently in your ear and just push the button to answer. Do you take the thing off your ear and look at the microscopic display to see who is calling??? I'd rather have longer talk time then waste energy on caller I.D....like the HBH-608. Or better yet the OEM Treo headset that lets you do call waiting by holding down the button for two seconds.

What would be cool is if the Treo would announce the number of the incoming call in the headset. My friend has an AT&T home phone that does that.
    Quote Originally Posted by pizenson
    Big Tone,
    I am curious about which one you've ended up using more over the past couple of weeks. I've got a 662 and have read a lot of good things on here about the 300 so I've been thinking of giving it a try, but would like to hear which one you've stuck with.
    Big tone went with the 662. I Started with the 660 and am now using the HBH 300. In my opinion, the 300 is more of a practical business tool, because it sounds better both ways. I was just on a CTA train, which are notoriously noisy, and my wife and I could still have a conversation. The 660 failed that test. I added a Radio Shack ($2.50 for four) windscreen to the boom and have had no complaints of wind or other noise on the 300. (In the Windy City, that's an accomplishment.) I don't think you could get a windscreen on the 660. Both the 300 and the 600 need a jabla eargel or a slicsound earpiece to give excellent sound level. I prefer the eargel. The 300 also has a much longer battery life. Comfort on the ear has been about the same, neither one can really be worn comfortably all day. The 660 or the 662 is lighter and pairs much more easily than the 300, but the 300 works automatically if the pairing is done when the screen says "unknown audio device," instead of waiting for the phone to recognize the headset as a HBH-300. Both headsets are a decent alternative. I agree that caller ID is useless on a headset, but I liked the battery meter on the 660. The 300 doesn't need a battery meter, because the battery life is so long. I use my headset heavily for business calls, and find that it is a better alternative for that purpose.
    sakozicki, how is the size of the 300? Do you find that you can put it in your pocket and not worry about breaking it?
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone
    sakozicki, how is the size of the 300? Do you find that you can put it in your pocket and not worry about breaking it?
    The 300 is certainly bigger and heavier than the 660, but I haven't noticed that putting it in a shirt pocket or pants pocket is a big deal. I usually slip it in my pocket when I'm going into a meeting or court, then put it back on my ear for walking outside and driving. The 300 also comes with a nice stand/car holder, which the 660 does not have.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast