Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Hi all,

This is really odd, also just a note, I am complete newbie to the 650 only have it for a few days now. Whats happening is (atleast I think), is something like when Versamail does a 1 hour pull of my email some how its leaving the browser connected.

I can make a phone call, but the green arrows constantly show, I tried hitting the blazer icon and it just goes online, it doesnt ask me if I want to connect to the net or anything 1st, so something is causing me to get connected and stay connected.

Whats odd about this is the fact that even though I have the arrows, the phone is functional. It was my understanding that the phone would not work when connected to blazer?

Any ideas what could be causing the arrows to just turn on and stay randomly through out the day?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

PS. Unrelated to the arrows, but is it just that Versamail doesnt work all that good, I noticed 1 onbe my pop emails fails to sync roughly 50% of the time, yet will manually pull with out issue, and whats the Sync Palm Changes message withe very email pull?

Thanks again all!

Cheers!
    Hello newbie,

Welcome to the world the the Treo 6XX. No one, and I repeat no one in this forum has been given a satisfactory explanation as to why those stupid arrows remain green on a fairly consistent basis. I'll admit, they have gotten better with the 650 than they were on the 600 (do other agree?). They can be very annoying since they are an indication that the Treo is communicating with Vision services, any incoming calls while the arrows are green will automatically be routed to voicemail. As a result, you can be sitting there with your 650 next to you and ten minutes later the voice mail indicator is flashing and you have three calls in there!

If anyone else has a few suggestions, please pass 'em on!

Cliff
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Ummm!

So your saying that if those green arrows are running I cant recieve a phone call? Every time I looked at my handset today those arrows were running, I mean like all day long....

Now you have me scared lol, I am going to have to call my handset from a landline next time I see those arrows, I figured it meant that it was connected to something using data, but it was running all day no matter I did to try and turn those arrows off.

Hrmm, got me nervous now lol..

Thanks
    If you're using a GSM phone, the arrows are always green when you have a data connection even if no data is being transferred.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    That has been my experience. Whenever the green arrows were lit, the Treo did not ring and the call was automatically sent to voice mail. When I had the 600 though, I was told by Sprint that this (green arrows remaining lit for an extended period of time) was of course, not normal and I must have had a defective unit and to return it for a replacement, which I did. It decreased, though not completely eliminated the problem. But please try calling it from a landline. I'd be interested to know what your experience is.

Cliff
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I am on GSM, Cingular.

But what I am freaked out about now, is that if those arrows are showing a data connection for no apparent reason, then if they stay of for 2 hours, that means I cant recieve any incoming phone calls during that time?

It just seemed like for most the work day, the arrows were green, for no apparent reason, what I find even more interesting is that, now that my autosync in versa mail is not set to sync at this time of night, the arrows are not showing, so I am wondering if this is a Versamail issue..

Any info is appreciated.
    You can do it manually by going to home->preferences->network->disconnect
    I may be wrong, since I don't have Cingular, but I always thought the green arrows just meant you were on the EDGE network
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    On a GSM Treo 650 the green arrows simply mean that you're connected to the data network. (which is why blazer didn't ask if you wanted to connect... you already were). You can receive calls and send calls in this state without problems. If you're not using the data connection it's not a bad idea to disconnect it simply because it will drain the battery faster. I use Chatteremail which allows me to receive my emails as soon as they're sent, so my Treo is connected to the data network nearly 100% of the time. I have no problems receiving calls.

On CDMA Treos (sprint and verizon) the green arrows mean that data is being transmitted. On CDMA treos when the green arrows are on and data is being transmitted then you can't receive a call. Since you have a Cingular Treo you don't need to worry about that.

Brett
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sfla_tc
    PS. Unrelated to the arrows, but is it just that Versamail doesnt work all that good, I noticed 1 onbe my pop emails fails to sync roughly 50% of the time, yet will manually pull with out issue, and whats the Sync Palm Changes message withe very email pull?
    Versamail is just a bad email program... a lot of people have a lot of wierd problems with it. If you haven't yet, upgrade your phone to the latest version of the firmware. I know that's solved some of the issues with versamail. Personally, though, I'd recommend using a third party mail program. Personally I'm partial to chatter... www.chatteremail.com.

Brett
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettS
    On a GSM Treo 650 the green arrows simply mean that you're connected to the data network. (which is why blazer didn't ask if you wanted to connect... you already were). You can receive calls and send calls in this state without problems.
    Brett

Pheeew! Thanks you just saved me from losing even more hair than I already am lol... What I am curious about though, is why am I connected to Blazer and the EDGE network, if I didnt manually connect, thats whats strange.

Also I kept trying to disconnect from versamail and other things just to be sure, but what your saying makes perfect sense, Blazer must be the cause.

How can I still recieve calls on the handset though if blazer is connected, though not being used?

Thanks for the input..

PS. My handset is brand new, a few days old, and came from the box with 1.31/1.15CNG, so there was nothing to upgrade I am assuming, though my 1st hotsync seemed to update some files an automatically add docs on the handset, the 650 is surely an awesome device but really has a mind of its own.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    There isn't really a 'blazer' connection... it's simply a data connection that's used by anything that needs data services. Blazer uses it, versamail uses it, other apps that access the internet like Directory Assistance and 4cast use it too.

I believe that by default the phone will ask you every time something wants to make a data connection, but there is a check box to allow it to connect automatically. If you checked that then it will automatically make it's data connection whenever it needs to. (If you don't want that you can turn it off again... somewhere in network preferences, I think)

With GSM (Cingular and T-Mobile) phones you can receive a call during most data connections. There are a few cases (such as using ptunes to stream audio) where the data connection will cause incoming calls to go to voicemail, but with a GSM phone those are pretty rare... in almost all cases you can be browsing the web in blazer and you'll still get incoming calls.
    Blazer is not "connected" or transferring data unless you're in the app itself. Think of it as being in data standby mode, just like your phone is when it's on but you're not talking...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Ahh ok thanks!

You have put my mind at rest Clearly it must be exactly what you are reffering to and not a true data connection because for the entire coarse of the day my 650 is at 80% battery, which seems pretty outstanding considering I retrieved mail a bunch of times, played an mp3 or 2, did a few memos and generaly toyed around with the 650 when I was goofin around at work, add a few mins on Blazer and I am guessing 20% usage for an entire day is pretty outstanding!

Cheers!
    All the green arrows mean is that your GPRS/EDGE connection is 'connected' or logged on. Kind of like when you have a dial-up modem on your PC and you're connected to the ISP, but it doesn't necessarily mean any data is being transfered. When it comes to GPRS/EDGE devices, it doesn't even mean any actual communication is really going on (it's not wasting battery) any more than you're actual phone is when it's in standby and the behind the scenes wireless network simply keeping track of you. But no actual TCP/IP data or 'active' communication of any sort.
    The reason the green arrows remain when you're on a call is because it puts the data connection on pause/hold for the phone call and then resumes when you're off your call. You could connect, stay connected all day, and never actually transfer any data.

If you're worried about running up data charges (if you aren't on an unlimited data plan) you can go in to Prefs>Network settings and create network connection that does nothing. That way anything trying to use data by accident would fail to connect. You just have to go in and switch it back to GPRS to actually go online.

It hurts nothing to stay connected.

It has been speculated that you could miss a call if you're actively transfering data when a call attempt comes in (downloading a web page, etc,) but my experience has been the opposite where my data connection gets interrupted mid-stream (sometimes inconvenientely) to take a call. So you'll never miss a call due to this.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G