1.    #1  
    A couple of times I have had syncing problems that would stop me from being able to synchronize between Outlook and my Treo. Palm tech support was not helping much (they only came back with more questions or suggested reinstalling Outlook and such, all to no avail). My only solution had been to erase the Treo and reinstall. Very tedious. The problems were linked to corrupt databases.

PROBLEM 1: TREO RESETS AFTER HOTSYNC
    This problem is not so bad, only annoying: the Treo would always reset itself after Hotsync. Using TreoCentral I found out that I was not the only person with the problem and the solution was given to while hunting through threads over 15 pages long. I therefore permit myself to repost it in the beginning of a thread:

The solution was to delete the contacts database and resync with desktop overwrites handheld. The file to delete is "ContactsSimDB-PAdd". The reset after Hotsync bug does not seem occur with the corruption of other databases, only when the contacts database is corrupt.

PROBLEM 2: IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO SYNC OUTLOOK
    Twice I have had the problem that the Treo would no longer sync with Outlook. It would startup the conduits but when initializing the Calendar sync it would just stop cold in its tracks. I could even let the computer think all night and it still would not move forward although using about 40% of the processor power all the while. I had gotten the runaround by Palm support for several weeks and in the mean time I had entered quite a bit of new appointments, Tasks, Contacts etc that I would loose if I would use my original solution. Palm support would make silly suggestions like run the “detect and repair” utility from Outlook as if indicating the problem was related to other peoples software even though I had explained that I was syncing with two computers (work and home) and that I had the same exact same problem on both machines. The second time I refused to rename my Treo, reset it to lose all data, and reinstall everything using the original name. I had really tried everything palm support suggested including purchasing Chapura's PocketMirror XT for 30 dollars which didn’t help either. Chapura’s tech support was also very mediocre with only very basic suggestions not anything that felt like it was related to my problem even when I had very clearly explained and defined the problem.

Finally I found help in the EXCELLENT tech support from PimlicoSoftware (the makers of Datebk5). They have a free tool called dbScan that finds errors in the databases and repairs them. Below I copy Pimlico supports instructions for using dbScan (you can download this utility from their website http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/utilities.htm):

1. Launch dbScan
    2. Tap on the button labeled 'NEITHER'
    3. Use REMOVE ALL DELETED RECORDS from the OPTIONS menu
    4. Tap on the PalmOne button
    Repeat this step if necessary but tap PalmSource button in step 4.

The utility dbScan found 7 deleted (corrupt) records on my Treo, fixed them, and, voilà, Hotsync synced up all my modifications I had made in the last couple of weeks.

Knowing these two solutions makes me feel more confident about the Treo. I still get some resets (even with firmware 1.31) but not being able to sync was really discouraging as I would risk loosing data.

The resets are caused by errors in the phone software. When dialing #*377 in the phone app (to show what caused the last reset) I usually get “GSM.c, Line:2553, Radio did not respond to open modem channel”. I use the GSM unlocked version.
    Excellent!
    Thank you for this post. I am going to try both these fixes, since I have both the problems.
    I had a problem almost exactly like your second one but syncíng to Lotus Notes using Intellisync. Intellisync support gave me a patch that fixed the issue. I'll try the program you found if I run into this issue again.

I used to sync to Outlook and also got the Chapura software. I much prefer Intellisync because it tells me what it is doing and gives me a chance to review changes. Their online support is very good too. I got it because I needed to sync to Lotus Notes (but the software also works with Outlook). I tried both Intellisync and mNotes and prefer the former because it doesn't put anything on the phone and is more user friendly.
    Quote Originally Posted by u_m_rasmussen
    A couple of times I have had syncing problems that would stop me from being able to synchronize between Outlook and my Treo. Palm tech support was not helping much (they only came back with more questions or suggested reinstalling Outlook and such, all to no avail). My only solution had been to erase the Treo and reinstall. Very tedious. The problems were linked to corrupt databases.

PROBLEM 1: TREO RESETS AFTER HOTSYNC
    This problem is not so bad, only annoying: the Treo would always reset itself after Hotsync. Using TreoCentral I found out that I was not the only person with the problem and the solution was given to while hunting through threads over 15 pages long. I therefore permit myself to repost it in the beginning of a thread:

The solution was to delete the contacts database and resync with desktop overwrites handheld. The file to delete is "ContactsSimDB-PAdd". The reset after Hotsync bug does not seem occur with the corruption of other databases, only when the contacts database is corrupt.

PROBLEM 2: IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO SYNC OUTLOOK
    Twice I have had the problem that the Treo would no longer sync with Outlook. It would startup the conduits but when initializing the Calendar sync it would just stop cold in its tracks. I could even let the computer think all night and it still would not move forward although using about 40% of the processor power all the while. I had gotten the runaround by Palm support for several weeks and in the mean time I had entered quite a bit of new appointments, Tasks, Contacts etc that I would loose if I would use my original solution. Palm support would make silly suggestions like run the “detect and repair” utility from Outlook as if indicating the problem was related to other peoples software even though I had explained that I was syncing with two computers (work and home) and that I had the same exact same problem on both machines. The second time I refused to rename my Treo, reset it to lose all data, and reinstall everything using the original name. I had really tried everything palm support suggested including purchasing Chapura's PocketMirror XT for 30 dollars which didn’t help either. Chapura’s tech support was also very mediocre with only very basic suggestions not anything that felt like it was related to my problem even when I had very clearly explained and defined the problem.

Finally I found help in the EXCELLENT tech support from PimlicoSoftware (the makers of Datebk5). They have a free tool called dbScan that finds errors in the databases and repairs them. Below I copy Pimlico supports instructions for using dbScan (you can download this utility from their website http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/utilities.htm):

1. Launch dbScan
    2. Tap on the button labeled 'NEITHER'
    3. Use REMOVE ALL DELETED RECORDS from the OPTIONS menu
    4. Tap on the PalmOne button
    Repeat this step if necessary but tap PalmSource button in step 4.

The utility dbScan found 7 deleted (corrupt) records on my Treo, fixed them, and, voilà, Hotsync synced up all my modifications I had made in the last couple of weeks.

Knowing these two solutions makes me feel more confident about the Treo. I still get some resets (even with firmware 1.31) but not being able to sync was really discouraging as I would risk loosing data.

The resets are caused by errors in the phone software. When dialing #*377 in the phone app (to show what caused the last reset) I usually get “GSM.c, Line:2553, Radio did not respond to open modem channel”. I use the GSM unlocked version.
    Your DBScan tips helped cure a problem I had during Hotsync back-up where the Treo would reset. It found 147 deleted/corrupt tasks, which once removed, cured my backup woes. Thanks very much!
    Palm support was not able to help me resolve the problem of preforming a sync with my Treo 650 and Outlook 2003. Every time I try I get synchronization failed. Is there any way that I can sync my Treo with Outlook with having to lay out more money to some company?
    Last edited by artw13; 04/07/2006 at 09:52 AM.
    Thanks for the post!
    Having had similar corrupt contacts cause resets, Why-0-Why does Palm do a reset when they find a corrupt contact?

Why not simply give a message that a corrupt record has been encountered (list info) and will be deleted. Then the user can re-enter it. They seem to give up to easy if something is wrong.

I believe Dir Assist was the start of one of my problems as after creating a new contact, I went directly to the contact and it crashed. Only after deleting it did the resets go away.
    FastFrank
    I had a problem like #1, but after doing a search and coming upon your thread, it solved my problem. Treocentral is great. I had a problem with the messagesdb and phonecalldb as well a couple of months ago.