Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Yes, I know there are many posts about how there's no app that rotates the screen. I too have a Universal Wireless Keyboard and would like to be able to lay the Treo 650 on its side. That said, there are several document *readers* that allow you to rotate the screen within the program.

But I'm using my Treo and keyboard to take notes in class (decided to finally get my masters and want to save extra $$ by not buying a laptop) and need a program that I can *write* in rather than just for reading text. As far as I can discover, Documents To Go does not have this function for the Treo. And I've searched on Google with no success.

Anyone know of one?

The alternative is to spend a few months relearning C and all the details of Palm development and create that darn rotate app we've all been asking for. But I really would like something now, before class starts in two days.

Thanks!
    and the point of rotating a 2" square would be?...

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Quote Originally Posted by TheLiveSoundGuy
    and the point of rotating a 2" square would be?...
    See above

"...I too have a Universal Wireless Keyboard and would like to be able to lay the Treo 650 on its side..."
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I'm bumping this because I discovered a new disaster. My case which I just received in the mail is a bottom-flip, which does NOT work with the keyboard in any shape form or fashion. So now I really NEED a screen rotating app. Hey, I'll even pay someone to write the program. :-)
    You may be better off using the money you are willing to pay to have a program written to buy a laptop.. Just an idea.
    This has been kicked around the TC community for some time now. There have been other threads about it.
    It looks like it ain't happening.
    I would suggest you learn to deal with it. Yes that means getting used to doing things a different way.
    Pretty soon you'll get used to it and start whinning about people wanting to rotate a 2" Sq.

Thread Crapper

I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

1. Lay Treo on side
    2. Tilt head
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    LOL

Okay, I'll quit whining. But with as many other folks who have asked about this feature, you'd think *someone* would do something. :-/
    There used to be i hack for OS 3 called screenhack which I used to read ebooks. Try that, coupled with a Hack Manager, such as YAHM. I haven't used this with a Treo, so I can't guarantee it'll work.
    Maybe I'm just dense, I'll admit I do have the occaisional brain fart, but for the life of me I can not visually in my head, see the advantage of proping the phone horizontialy, as opposed to proping the phone vertically, when you are still viewing the same 2" square regardless of how you physically flip the phone itself. If it's a physical stability thing, couldn't you just find a better prop?

Thread Crapper

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djfusion
    There used to be i hack for OS 3 called screenhack which I used to read ebooks. Try that, coupled with a Hack Manager, such as YAHM. I haven't used this with a Treo, so I can't guarantee it'll work.
    People have tried it. It doesn't work on OS5.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Maybe I'm just dense, I'll admit I do have the occaisional brain fart, but for the life of me I can not visually in my head, see the advantage of proping the phone horizontialy, as opposed to proping the phone vertically, when you are still viewing the same 2" square regardless of how you physically flip the phone itself. If it's a physical stability thing, couldn't you just find a better prop?
    When using the keyboard, being able to lay the treo on it's side would let you:

1) worry less about the darn thing falling over,
    2) give you access to the headphone jack, so you could listen to music instead of your teacher
    3) give you access to the power jack, so you could charge while typing

Sadly, you're probably right. It ain't going to happen. Although the company that wrote a rotate app for the Garmin said they might develop a rotate app for square screen devices (Treo, Zire, ...)
    I can appreciate that.
    However may I point out what you already sort of stated.
    That 1,2,& 3 can all be solved with - a better prop.

An excellent cheap if not free prop could be carved from a 4" sq. piece of styrafoam

Thread Crapper

Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    When I watch movies using TCPMP I use the horizontal pref, because the damn audiojack is on the bottom as opposed to the side or top.

If I were reading ebooks and charging at the same time, I would rather have the screen horizontal also.
    I understood the "want" from the beginning, just couldn't see the need.

Overkill? Maybe. A better Prop? Definetly!

http://www.somejunkwelike.com/oow3/s...256&height=192

Not good with your hands? Mod the design and use foam.
    Last edited by TheLiveSoundGuy; 08/18/2005 at 11:20 AM.

Thread Crapper

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    http://www.somejunkwelike.com/oow3/s...256&height=192

Not good with your hands? Mod the design and use foam.

Woah, that's massive.
    I'd have better luck learning Palm Development for myself and just writing the darn app.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I can appreciate that.
    However may I point out what you already sort of stated.
    That 1,2,& 3 can all be solved with - a better prop.

An excellent cheap if not free prop could be carved from a 4" sq. piece of styrafoam
    I agree... a prop does seem like the only solution.. and I've been thinking about what I'd want for that. My biggest issue, is that this is my airplane solution, so it's got to pack small. I already carry too much junk!
    Here is the whole project courtesy of another user here. Not really that hard to do. If you want to bad enough that is. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...es/biggrin.gif

http://www.somejunkwelike.com/oow3/i...ze=800&start=0

Thread Crapper

I'd still like to find a application/hack for rotating the screen image. I would like to do it for mounting in a vehicle. If I could lay the T650 on it's side, it would fit nicely near the speedo & tach. I use it for navigation so it would be very easy to see in this location. The power plug would be more accessible in this position as well.
    Well good luck with your search. Have a seat. It may take a bit.

Thread Crapper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast