1.    #1  
    Occasionally I go to perform some task and the Treo 650 informs me that there is not enough memory to do it. I have about 6M free. I will soft-reset and then I have no problem doing whatever it is I wanted to do.

Is this a common problem, is there a known issue/solution?

Thanks,
    Bob
    Do you have the latest software/firmware? They "fixed" the memory issue. Which brand phone do you have? I get this error when I'm out of physical memory.

You can also try udmh, which will give you "unlimited" dynamic memory.
    You are running out of a different type of memory: the NVFS cache. There is a limited quantity, and applications uses it up as you run them. The OS is supposed to free up the cache when it thinks the application no lonfer needs it .. but it appears that the OS is doing a ****-poor job.

Bottom like: NVFS cache will eventually run out and you have to soft-reset to get it back.

Search for dbCache, Memoryinfo, NVFS cache, Resco Locker. Lots of discussion on all this ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  4.    #4  
    I have a Verizon phone Palm OS 5.4.7 and phone SW Treo650-1.01-VZW.

A bit nervous about the lengthy upgrade process, especially with Goodlink.

I will search for udmh, but can you explain a bit more about that. I have 1GB SD card installed also.

Bob
    I use the Treo 650 w/VW and have goodlink installed. I get those messages all the time. I moved some items to a 1gb SD card and it seems to be getting better. I saw there was an upgrade and have not installed it yet. Kinda like if ain't broke don't fix it thing..
    I've spent a fair amount of time reading threads on dbCache, Memoryinfo, NVFS cache, Resco Locker -- and don't have a very firm sense of whether there's a consensus recommendation for managing memory for speed and stability. Is such a consensus emerging?
    I'm not getting data corruption very often. So, I am not using Resco Locker to lock stuff into the cache (although the OS seems to never clear the cache, so maybe applications are defacto locked in once you run them anyway .. Locker could prevent OS from moving the data around in the cache, though..).

I do get a out-of-memory error once in a while. The new ROM update seems to have helped. I am tempted to use dbCache and udmh but have held off. I'm afraid of making the Treo less stable.

I do a warm reset before backup (BBVFS and Resco Explorer) anyway, so I get the soft reset at least once a day (by design).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    i run goodlink and get the out of memory issues (warning or a reset) about 5x a day. i have tried every fix out there. there isnt one. Bottom line is that Treo 650 doesnt come with enough memory!

Lets hope the rumored new thinner PALM OS Treo 750 does come with 128mb, the 1.3mpx camera, GPS, Bluetooth stereo capability, Wifi and the faster processor.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy
    i run goodlink and get the out of memory issues (warning or a reset) about 5x a day. i have tried every fix out there. there isnt one. Bottom line is that Treo 650 doesnt come with enough memory!

Lets hope the rumored new thinner PALM OS Treo 750 does come with 128mb, the 1.3mpx camera, GPS, Bluetooth stereo capability, Wifi and the faster processor.
    This is a known behavior when you run GoodLink on the Treo. There are a couple of things you can do to slow down this situation:

1) Move all pictures you ahve taken with the camera to the SD card.
    2) Perform a reset at leat once a day. There are applications out there that will help you schedule this. I will put a plug in for ProfileCare (for obvious reasons). ProfileCare will allow you to setup multiple resets a day if you find you need more than one.

This condition happens because of the heavy usage of cache memory that Goodlink requires. For some reason, the Treo seems to continue to use and not release this cache as the day goes on. Indications are that GoodLink is not releasing unused cache but I have no real proof of this. The symptoms are though that you run out of cache after periods of useage and you get the memory error that you ahve reported. A soft reset cleans up the cache and the unit will run again for a period of time before a soft reset is again needed. Its not a perfect situation but you can manage the behavior with ProfileCare.

Hope this helps......

Jeff