1.    #1  
    looking for topo software for my 650, does anyone have any recommendations based on experience with this? I currently have tt5 which is great for driving but I am looking for something to use for hiking and hunting. The topo5 looks like it might work but not sure if it will work with the 650 with a hulox receiver.
    You can import the maps to the Treo but it comes with no Palm software. To view the maps you open them in Street Atlas for Palm. Have to check with Delorme whether any other prog could import them. Street Atlas should work with your GPS though
    Last edited by Disaster; 08/15/2005 at 12:07 PM.
    I got Outdoor Navigator which includes both USGS topo maps and nautical charts. It overlays your GPS position and planned routes on various maps/charts depending on scale, etc. I used it this weekend at Lake Tahoe and it worked pretty well.
  4.    #4  
    Outdoor Navigator caused a restart on my 650 everytime I tried to turn it on after about 5 times on the free trial. The maps also seemed grainy if you tried to zoom in at all. Does the O N show bread crumb trails and speed of travel. The DeLorme topo 5 looks cool online but I don't know if it will work on the 650. Is there any other programs out there that have better graphics than the outdoor nav that work on the 650?
    I have DeLorme TOPO USA & Street Atlas Handheld, both work fine on my Treo650.
    I, too, am dissatisfied with ON's low-res display (looks like it's still in the 160 x 160 days). Does DeLorme show in hi-res (320 x 320)?
    Quote Originally Posted by aldrich
    Outdoor Navigator caused a restart on my 650 everytime I tried to turn it on after about 5 times on the free trial. The maps also seemed grainy if you tried to zoom in at all. Does the O N show bread crumb trails and speed of travel. The DeLorme topo 5 looks cool online but I don't know if it will work on the 650. Is there any other programs out there that have better graphics than the outdoor nav that work on the 650?
    Have not had any problems with Outdoor Navigator causing resets. I tried it for about a day and decided it was easily worth the $20 (no cost to download all the maps/charts you want). Uses my Tomtom Mk II GPS just fine. The maps are grainy if you zoom in a great deal but it all comes back to the scale of the various USGS quads or NOAA charts. (It's the same as enlarging a quad sheet on a xerox machine). I don't believe its related to display resolution. You are never going to get better resolution than what's on the base map/chart if you are using a map overlay type program. I did not notice a way to mark your actual track but it does show speed (current and average) as well as time and distance to next waypoint, etc. If you want better resolution then you would probably need a digital topographic database.
    Last edited by jrfaris; 08/17/2005 at 04:28 PM.
    theres also national geographic pocket topo which works with their kickass state series of topo maps

http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/pocket.cfm

i think im gonna buy this since i love topo... they even have overlays for hunting zones.
    Looks like a great package but seems like you need to purchase both the PC and the Pocket versions to get maps on the Treo. Total cost is a bit steep for me but it does have a lot of nice features. As far as topographic detail goes, it still uses 1:24000 USGS quad maps as a base and you only get 1 state with the PC purchase.
  10.    #10  
    the national geographic version looks very detailed. I did not find anywhere that it is compatible with the 650. This software if also very similar to topo5. Does the topo 5 do bread crumbs and functions similar to a stand alone gps?
    shinew, what do you like or dislike about topo 5? both programs appear to be very good and run about $100. I am looking for the one that will give the best performance