1.    #1  
    Anyone tried the new motorola H500?
    I just received my Motorola H500 Bluetooth Headset a few days ago. Overall it functions really well however it fails miserably at reliably answering calls from the headset. If that feature worked well I would give this headset 5 out of 5 but instead it gets 3.5 out of 5.

You will have to decide for yourself if this failure is a deal breaker. Since I bought mine from an ebay store with a no-refund policy I am learning to live with it

AUDIO QUALITY
    I haven’t received any complaints from callers after 3 days of use. I can hear callers fine, could be a little louder.

FIT
    No two ears are alike, right? I had the previous iteration of this headset for a month or so (before my 2 year got her hands on it) and it was a little heavier than this. This one seems to flop around on my ear a bit because there is about 15 degrees of play on the earhook before it starts to hold fast.

BATTERY LIFE
    I haven’t had this long enough to weigh in on the subject.

RECEIVE A CALL
    Using the call button on the headset to receive a call is incredibly frustrating!

When a call comes in, it takes 3-4 seconds for the handset to respond with a “ringtone”. (A little tune is played on the speaker). You can’t answer the call from the headset until it wakes up so you better be quick or else your call goes to vociemail.

Alternatively, you can answer the call on the Treo and it will it off to the headset pretty quickly. This is the most reliable way to grab a call.

The WORST thing about receiving a call is that it doesn’t work flawlessly. This is the must important and least reliable feature of the headset. A call comes in, you wait 4 seconds for the ringtone, tap the Call button on the headset to answer it and nothing happens. Sometimes I would tap a second time and it would work. Other times I would tap a second time and it would answer the phone and then hang up!

The ONLY reliable way to take a call is to answer it from the Treo and then transfer it to the headset. (Even though the manual says that you have to tap the call button on the headset to do this, it seemed to happen automatically for me).

Perhaps answering calls properly is a Bluetooth limitation but I was told by a friend at Motorola that it would well on their phones (of course). If someone is interested, I will pair it with a Moto and try it.

A minor nuisance is that there is no visual indicator of an incoming call. I am not the type of guy to walk around wearing my headset waiting for a call so a visual cue would be great for situations where my phone is stashed in my bag and my headset is on the table.

REJECT A CALL
    Couldn’t get that function to work but since you can barely answer a call in time from the headset I wouldn’t have expected much here!

The following functions worked flawlessly:

- End A Call
    - Redial Last Call - Wow
    - Answer A Second Incoming Call
    - Toggle Between Two Active Calls
    - Put Call On Hold
    - Transfer A Call From The Phone To The Headset
    - Mute

MAKE A VOICEDIAL CALL
    This would be a KILLER APP for the Treo but alas, there is no support. The function (clicking headset call button and talking) does wake up the phone though.

Some other interesting features:

- You can disable the indicator light
    - The headset can be switched for “lefties”
    -

-- Pete
    Last edited by pmauro; 09/08/2005 at 07:07 PM.
    Great review! What were you using previously?

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    I just posted a review of the H500. I had a lot of problems with sound quality.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    I guess I scooped you then

Re sound quality - I haven't used too many Bluetooth headsets so I guess I don't know what I am missing.
    Quote Originally Posted by pmauro
    The following functions worked flawlessly:

- End A Call
    - Redial Last Call - Wow
    - Answer A Second Incoming Call
    - Toggle Between Two Active Calls
    - Put Call On Hold
    - Transfer A Call From The Phone To The Headset
    - Mute
    -- Pete
    Interesting. I've not heard of another Bluetooth headset other than Palm's own Treo that has any other function with the Treo other than answering and hanging up calls. How does the toggling work?
    This H500 Is Beautiful. Sorry For The Caps, But Im Soo Estatic. I Recently Bought A Hs820. Super Garbage, I Couldnt Hear Anything..... This H500 Is Beautiful...... Get It!!!!! I Dont Know What The Guy Up There Writing The Review Is Talkin About, But Its Works Soooooo Sweeeeeet. Sorry Im Still Estatic...... Take It Ez.
    Quote Originally Posted by yobeez
    .....I Dont Know What The Guy Up There Writing The Review Is Talkin About, But Its Works Soooooo Sweeeeeet.
    I know exactly what he is talking about and I couldnt agree more with his review. 1/10 calls was answered with the call button. I dont call that "Soooooo Sweeeeeet!" Previously I've used the HBH-660 and Logitech Mobile Pro. As far as battery life, the H500 wins hands down.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    I too use the treo 650 and the H500 and have to say - sorely dissapointed. Call me a stickler - but I like toread manuals and expect things to work as indicated.

For example - in the H500 quick start guide it indicates you can make a voice call by simply tapping the call button and saying the name. It makes no mention that additional software is required to do this.

I'm using VoiceSignal - it tells me that it first has to voice activate my contacts list - in large contact lists this can take up to a minute. That was 15 minutes ago and its still going. My contact list is only 100 names long.

Next up - the h500 does not know when calls are coming in. So - answering a phone with it is out of the question - which of course, is why you want a bluetooth in the first place so you can drive and not have to pick up the phone.

Sound quality is good - when you get a call switched to it.

In the last 10 calls I attempted the bluetooth. It answered in time on only 2 calls. 2 out of 8. And they aren't embarassed to charge for this.

Sorry gang - I call it like it is - False advertising and misleading statements in the manual, functionality that simply does not work as described, and an interface that has to be slower than an armadillo crossing the antartic.

If this is the futre - I'm truly truly frightened.
    I'm so sad that our posts don't show the time. I wrote the above 10 minutes ago - and the voice dial software is still asking me to wait while it enables my contact list - and is still saying that for large contact lists - this can take up to a minute. Uh huh. Yeah. Right. 25 minutes and counting.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I bought two H500 headsets, one for my treo 650 and one for my wife's Razor V3. Needless to say, it works on hers without a hitch. On the Treo, not so much. My one big frustration has been the inability to answer calls using the "answer buton". Sometimes it would work, sometimes not. The solution (or work around) is to set the BT to answer automatically. After 2 rings the H500 picks up. Prior to 2 full rings, I ca now tap the "answer button" to take the call or press and hold it till I hear a tone which sends it to VM. Maybe the darn thing actually works now?
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Yeah, um, nevermind...it still doesn't work right. I unplugged the charger from the phone and all of a sudden the H500 seems all confused.

I am crushed...
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Okay, after trying to make the H500 work for several days, I finally decided to find a BT headset recommended on the Palm website. The only one I could find locally was the Moto HS820, which just happened to be on sale at Radio Shack for $39. After one day I am happy to report that the darn thing actually seems to work with the Treo 650.

PROS:

- Pairs easily and stays paired to treo
    - Connects to phone almost instantly when you push the button on the headset.
    - Calls transfer on the first ring (both inbound and outbound)
    - No static
    - Good range, at least 10' line of sight

CONS:

- Doesn't fit as well as H500
    - A tad lower volume
    - Slightly larger than H500 (and yet lighter?!?)

Overall, I'm liking this unit. I am confident now that I can pick up every call with the headset w/o fail.
    I just got the H500 and I keep getting a beep or tone every 5 seconds or so during a call. Is there any way to make this thing stop beeping? Other than that the headset seems OK for the moment.
    Treo 300 --> Treo 600 ---> Treo 650 ----> Extremely Happy!