Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm using Versamail and trying to add a Hotmail account.

It doesn't list Hotmail on the list, so I'm selecting "other"

It seems to only be allowing POP or IMAP accounts, so not sure what info to add for Hotmail.

I am a premium Hotmail user, btw.

Thanks in advance for your help!
  2.    #3  
    Thank you. It does mention that I need to enter my "msn user name" ... if it's the same as my hotmail address it isn't taking it. any suggestions?

thanks again.
    Did you try just typing your user name and then try typing your user name plus @hotmail.com ?
  4.    #5  
    yes... tried both ways. Not sure if I should be changing anything in "advanced" also
    Did you have to type in your password anywhere?

Edit: It may not work, see this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=hotmail
    Last edited by string3599; 08/14/2005 at 11:09 PM.
  6.    #7  
    yes and I've confirmed it's correct. its saying user name not accepted (both just plain user name and also user name @hotmail.com
    mousie, see my edit above.
  8.    #9  
    thanks for the bad news need to figure out what to do since I like using hotmail.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I have found an awesome way of doing this. www.fusemail.com

This service will contantly check your Hotmail account for new mail, and allow you to pull it from their service as an IMAP account. It's only 19 bucks for a year and you get some 350 megs or so of space. I've signed up, and have been using Versamail for the last month to check my Hotmail account. You can sign up and use the service for free for 30 days. I suggest trying it out, and if you like it, get it. My trial is almost up and I am definitely going to pay for it.
  10.    #11  
    Thanks for the tip, Jrider... can you send hotmail from your palm using fusemail/versamail as well, or just receive?
    Mousie, get a Gmail account. You can do all of this for free, and it kicks hotmails rear.
  12.    #13  
    I've used gmail in the past and don't like it. I use hotmail with outlook express and prefer the integration... I don't really like using a website for email.
    Gmail can be used with POP email programs which include Outlook Express and pretty much every other email program. You don't have to use the web interface.

On the other hand, MS ONLY makes conduits for Hotmail in Outlook and Outlook Express. There are some third party programs that you can buy to sync Hotmail with other software. Bottom line, Gmail is more compatible. One other important note. I get wayyyyyy more junk mail from Hotmail than I do from Gmail. Heck, you can set up a hotmail account and never give the email address to anyone and it will still fill up with junk mail. Whats up with that???
    Quote Originally Posted by mousie
    Thanks for the tip, Jrider... can you send hotmail from your palm using fusemail/versamail as well, or just receive?
    You can send as well.
    If you have sprint you can use smpt.sprintpcs.com.
    If you dont then you can use smpt.fusemail.net as the outgoing server.

I use Fusemail with chatter since MSN took away the ability to forward email.
    But if you have a paid account you should be able to forward... in which case check out Fastmail.fm.

Fastmail is free and you could forward your hotmail account and use versamail to pick it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster
    Gmail can be used with POP email programs which include Outlook Express and pretty much every other email program. You don't have to use the web interface.

On the other hand, MS ONLY makes conduits for Hotmail in Outlook and Outlook Express. There are some third party programs that you can buy to sync Hotmail with other software. Bottom line, Gmail is more compatible. One other important note. I get wayyyyyy more junk mail from Hotmail than I do from Gmail. Heck, you can set up a hotmail account and never give the email address to anyone and it will still fill up with junk mail. Whats up with that???
    I have two Msn/Hotmail accounts. One is "private" and i get absolutely NO junk mail sent to it. The other one i use for most things and junk mail is not bad. I use the junk mail filter, though, so i rarely ever see the junk mail anyway.
  16.    #17  
    I have verizon, and am hoping to use fusemail to do this. I have a paid hotmail account, and with fastmail, it gets forwarded there, so i think you are actually sending mail from fastmail, not hotmail. I'm hoping that with fusemail, i'll be able to actually send mail using hotmail, so it will be seemless.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mousie
    I have verizon, and am hoping to use fusemail to do this. I have a paid hotmail account, and with fastmail, it gets forwarded there, so i think you are actually sending mail from fastmail, not hotmail. I'm hoping that with fusemail, i'll be able to actually send mail using hotmail, so it will be seemless.
    You will... check your PM. Fusemail works wonderfully for MSN. I can send and receive MSN Hotmail without a problem.
    VersaMail and any other POP/IMAP client will always have problems accessing HotMail as it is a non standard protocol only understood by special clients like Outlook Express. I agree with the posts above suggesting the use of GMail. I have used Gmail on both Treo 600 and Treo 650 with no problems.

Barring that you can access Hotmail via the browser ( http://mobile.msn.com/hm/folder.aspx ) or use one of the services that forward your hotmail to a poppable account e.g. www.gophermail.com
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mwomwom
    VersaMail and any other POP/IMAP client will always have problems accessing HotMail as it is a non standard protocol only understood by special clients like Outlook Express. I agree with the posts above suggesting the use of GMail. I have used Gmail on both Treo 600 and Treo 650 with no problems.

Barring that you can access Hotmail via the browser ( http://mobile.msn.com/hm/folder.aspx ) or use one of the services that forward your hotmail to a poppable account e.g. www.gophermail.com
    Yes, we've already established this. But for the people who really want to keep using their MSN account there is a solution. So there is a way to access your hotmail through Versamail with any problems what-so-ever.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast