1.    #1  
    I've done a search and I can't seem to find a decent GTD app. Agendus has the contacts module built-in, but from what I understand, it doesn't work as a "contacts" replacement on the treo (IOW, when you press contacts from the phone screen, you have to cycle through the app's views). Personally, I'd prefer to use datebk5 over agendus anyway. But DB5 doesn't have any sort of contacts. And neither does todos all that well.

I found contacts5 and reading about it I was led to something called life@hand, but it appears to be vaporware.... The quest continues...

What I'd like is something that allows me to implement a GTD-like system, at the very least with my todos. Right now, I'm trying bonsai (which I've used with moderate success in the past) with either db5 or agendus, depending on my mood (still trying both out).

So, what are people using?
    Datebk5 and Bonsai together do a very good job for me and my particular implementation of GTD. I know a lot of people who use ShadowPlan instead of Bonsai, but I like Bonsai's desktop component a lot better than ShadowPlan.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trager
    Datebk5 and Bonsai together do a very good job for me and my particular implementation of GTD. I know a lot of people who use ShadowPlan instead of Bonsai, but I like Bonsai's desktop component a lot better than ShadowPlan.
    Alright, I'll continue to give db5 a try. I've been playing with it for about an hour now (the only time I get to explore new software is when I should be sleeping, unfortunately) and I've got the hang of saved views - something I never understood before. And I think I've got the hang of linking and back-2-bonsai.

Right now I've got an outline in Bonsai called "running todo list" with all items automatically linked to todos. Do you find that it's better to link all outline items first and then remove links as needed or vice versa? On another note, I love the fact that I can see the top item of a todo using back-2-bonsai. It really helps with context.
    I add the link after, because I use a modified GTD setup. My Bonsai outlines contain data (coded as simples) and I use multiple levels of classification to keep things neat and track progress.

Even my Procrastination List (my miscellaneous running todo list) is split up into classifying tasks to make things easier (which usually correspond to context). This makes it easier for me to propagate Keywords and Categories through similar tasks.
    Quote Originally Posted by torifile
    I've done a search and I can't seem to find a decent GTD app. Agendus has the contacts module built-in, but from what I understand, it doesn't work as a "contacts" replacement on the treo (IOW, when you press contacts from the phone screen, you have to cycle through the app's views). Personally, I'd prefer to use datebk5 over agendus anyway. But DB5 doesn't have any sort of contacts. And neither does todos all that well.

I found contacts5 and reading about it I was led to something called life@hand, but it appears to be vaporware.... The quest continues...

What I'd like is something that allows me to implement a GTD-like system, at the very least with my todos. Right now, I'm trying bonsai (which I've used with moderate success in the past) with either db5 or agendus, depending on my mood (still trying both out).

So, what are people using?
    I use the palm aps, and simply use datebk5 to orchestrate them. I put contacts on button 1, calendar button 2, todos button 3, memos button 4.

Simple sometimes is the best approach, in GTD talk it is called plain vanilla.

Here is my set up for Treo and GTD if anyone is interested, it works for Mac or PC (post #13)

http://www.davidco.com/forum/showthr...1350#post31350
    By the way, there's a pretty good yahoo group called GTD_Palm with LOTS of discussion on GtD implementations.
  7.    #7  
    I'm a member and tried reading through some of it last night. Much of it is pretty old (the files, I mean) and I was wondering if things have changed since then.

Thanks for the advice. I've thought about going very simple and I guess I'm into geekiness.... For a while before I got my Treo, I had a moleskine that I used (for about 2 months after I sold my T3 and before I got the Treo). I found that not having an electronic calendar was too much for me. I always forgot to "repeat" my patients and whatnot. Luckily I didn't miss any appointments, but it could have happened. Anyway, I figured since I've got the Treo now, I might as well use it to its full ability. I'll continue trying simple and see how it works. It can't be much worse than before (when I was relying on my memory not to forget things and I was lucky I didn't....)
    I went thru the geekiness stage too.

I will only say that the seductive search for the optimal GTD computer program, like the siren's call, is dangerous and can lead you from one program to another, never finding the perfect system, the next one always holds the promise of being a little better... you may eventually realize how much time you wasted on this pursuit.

But sometimes knowledge is best learned by experience and maybe you will fare better than I did on this quest. Good luck to you.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 08/15/2005 at 09:25 PM.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I like DateBk5 and ShadowPlan. There are a bunch of GtD people in the ShadowPlan forums. Also the ShadowPlan developer is a treo user so the navigation seems better to me than Bonsai.

As for DateBk5, I was a loyal Agendus user until I found the Custom Views in DateBk5. I now have @Work, @Home, @Out and About... views. Only my todos for applicable categories are shown when I am in a certain context.

For example the view @Work shows the categories Calls, Online, Work
    @Home shows Calls, Online, Home
    @Out and About shows Calls, Out and About

I use Shadow to link the next action to the todo database. Works great for me.

Shadow also has better filtering in my opinion than Bonsai. Just my $0.02.

-Rick
    Everex Freestyle -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Deluxe -> Sony CLIE -> Kyrocera 6035 -> Toshiba e740 -> Tungsten T2 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre

visorcentral -> treo|central -> pre|central.net
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    You should try LifeBalance by Llamagraphics. You will find in their user forums a forum specifically designated for GTD. It's a very different sort of ToDo program that uses fuzzy math logic to help sort your importance items. Check it out. It's on the expensive side, but it's been actively developed for years. I use it every day. It's a much more efficient way of sorting and creating tasks. You'll find a much more useful repeat feature as well.

www.llamagraphics.com
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Note Studio also works pretty well for GTD. They have a GTD template with the software as well. There are also a couple of users who have their own websites explaining their use of Note Studio.
    I use Backpack . It's a web based app that is great. Also provides a mobile version.