Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Hi all,

Well my Treo650 is only a few days old now and working VERY well, I dont want to put a bunch of 3rd party apps on to test them out and possible leave remnant files behind that could cause issues.

Anyway, with the most recent version of Versamail, I havent really had any issues at all aside from a few syncs that didnt retrieve mail and gave me a report that showed versa couldnt connect, which I thought was odd.

Anyways, I manage about 6 email accounts on the handheld and have been considering Snappermail (I know all about chatter, my server does not support IMAP and I dont need the battery drain).

Things seem pretty similar between snapper and versa aside from the extra options and quick all account sync that snapper offers, and a few other nice amenities. The price doesnt bother me either, I am really just trying to decide if Snapper is worth it compared to the latest and greatest Versamail. Also I am curious how stable the app is, I have this dreaded fear of adding anything could undo my phones so far steller performance.

Versa seems pretty good and quite stable on my palm, but if I wanna manually get my emails inbetween a sync time (1 Hour) I have to go to each account and use the "Get" feature wich gets a bit cumbersom with 6 accounts.

So if any one is willing, could they give they opinion on the Snapper vs. Versamail please? Also again I know all about chatter hehe I am asking about Snapper mail and Versamail only

Thank you for any info or general info you could lend on the subject.

PS. Almost forgot, I am on the Cingular Network, using 1.31/1.15CNG.
    There's almost a bazillion comparisons here. Try a search to see what people say...

To nudge you along:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=89210

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=91552

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=92376

http://www.chatteremail.com/index.ph...d=43&Itemid=89

Download and use the trial. It'll be your choice in the end.
    Last edited by Insertion; 08/14/2005 at 08:18 PM. Reason: I am the Organic Search Engine
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    ptunes
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    ptunes
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Well ill take a ptunes over evert one saying chatter hehe

Thanks for the start, I was browsing the search today for the Snapper threads but there is just so many mentions of applications in many different types of threads that it brings alot of results that dont really have anything to do with the applications.

Also, another issue is that alot of threads related to versa/snapper are older and compairing the two off of unstable versions of Versa..

Just thought I would ask, since I see how knowledgable every onbe around here is and I am just a Treo Neophyte(sp?)...

Cheers!
    I was gonna say chatter

really...you should at least give a try...you get 30 days
    Snapper mail rocks man. If it had a hotsync conduit I would buy it for sure.

but just to confuse you more..........Chattermail has a comparison chart which might help you decide.

http://www.chatteremail.com/index.ph...d=43&Itemid=89
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)

I bought Snapper. Now I use Chatter. Set up an imap account on Fusemail and will never look back. Awesome.
    Always used Snapper until I finally caved in and tried Snapper.

Haven't opened Snapper once since.

Chatter is where it's at.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    chatter supports pop3....use offline quicksync and you will get less battery drain than any other e-mail prog, know why? Because chatter is a background app and doesn't need the screen on to receive e-mail...

I own snapper enterprise as well as chatter
    Sprint 700p
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    I too bought Snapper Enterprise and then switched to Chatter. IMHO, Chatter is a much nicer app all around.

iPhone 3G ..:.. Jailbroken 16GB Black
    AT&T 8925 Tilt ..:.. WM 6.1 ..:.. SIM/CID unlocked
    BlackBerry 8830 ..:.. Work phone
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Ok,

Thanks for the info all, but let me ask you a question about Chatter. Is it worth it to use over say Snapper if I do not plan on using the push/imap abilities? I contacted my host who runs a dedicated server for me and the CSR explained he did not belive the server was set up to handle imap, smtp only, but he was going to contact the nw admin to be sure for me.

I mean the whole craze over chatter currently is about its ability to give a near BB experience. But I am just looking to pull my email every 45-1hr. Whats driving me crazy with Versamail currently is that on my business account, Versa fails to sync roughly 50% of the time, yet will have no problems manually pulling ever, so its just not reliable enough in that regard. I mean if I am going to be using the battery it may aswell actually download the email lol.

On the battery life issue, With a bit of surfing the net, checking email every 45mins and goofing around with the handset my battery life was incredible today, I used maybe 10% at most? Wow is all I can say.

Basically I just want an awesome, stable email app, that has nice functions and can sync all my accounts either manually at once or automatically sync. Also having attachments hit the SD card is a nice feature aswell since my wife loves to email large image files of our doughter

So whats your opinions with that in mind? I would install both apps and give em a test drive, its just I am so new to the 650, and its working very well so far, I am just to scared to install and remove apps that may leave remnant files behind causing instability in the handset..

I just cant decide lol

Cheers!
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    I forward all my POP3 email accounts to a free AOL AIM email account (2GB) that supports IMAP idle commands. I only use it to push my emails, and I use my normal SMTP server to send mail. It's fantastic!
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    chatter is worth it! with any e-mail method.. If for no other reason than Marc is here and will respond and add features or tell you why it can't be done etc.

I also prefer my treo not turn on to check e-mail, using timed check with chatter does this.
    Sprint 700p
    Listen. You asked for our opinion and we gave it. Chatter is the way to go. If you don't want to push your email (which is awesome if you try it) Chatter will still check pop accounts on a regular basis. Chatter is soon going to be able to use the SD card too.

Do a search and plenty of other posts recommend Chatter.
    I'll chime in with the others. Have your server forward to a free IMAP account (AIM, fastmail.fm, or fusemail). Then you have the benefits for free of IMAP.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    I have had Snapper for 2 years. Cannot compare it to Versamail because I've never used it.

Snapper is very stable and functional. The rules you can set for individual accounts are many including deleting from client server, save to specific folders, save to SD card immediately or within a specified # of days.

I know Marc is quick to respond, but I found Snapper to be just as responsive - the one time I needed to consult them.

I
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    The most annoying part of Snapper is that it turns on the screen every time it syncs the mail...

iPhone 3G ..:.. Jailbroken 16GB Black
    AT&T 8925 Tilt ..:.. WM 6.1 ..:.. SIM/CID unlocked
    BlackBerry 8830 ..:.. Work phone
    Chatter
    -g-

Treo 300-650-755P, Contract ends 11/30/07. SERO F&F 1250, The following are unlimited: N&W (7PM), Mobile to Home (M2H), Free Incoming, Vision Data, Text Messages for $49.99 - Plus Sprint AIRAVE @ N/C.